Poll: Unfinished Games Anonymous: do you ever give up before completion?

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Very rarely do I finish games, I can count those I have on my fingers. Maybe even on one hand.
Counting sandbox games adds a couple more.
Those I have done to completion I've done again and again though.

I generally play one game at a time, until I become bored with it. Sometimes that takes hours, sometimes weeks.

Captcha: Salad fingers?? no..Days..phew. Don't get creepy on me captcha.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
* Sometimes, if it's boring or broken.

I always intend to finish every game I play (which I define as completing the main story, but not necessarily getting every little side quest or achievement). Its quite rare that I don't finish a game - even if I'm not enjoying it, I'll try to force myself to the end, if only because I don't like wasting money. I'm in a good routine of just playing 1 game at a time (with maybe a bit of multiplayer thrown in on weekends).

I abandoned Divinity Original Sin and Xenonauts earlier this year, primarily because I thought their difficulties were unbalanced (too hard) and they were also really long. I'd played something like 36 and 18 hours respectively, but I don't think I was even half way through either. I probably could have finished them, but it wouldn't have been fun. Plus the final nail in their coffin was the amount of other new games that I wanted to play. I might have carried on if there was nothing else interesting to play.

Other than that, its mainly free games that I've got from subscribing to PC Gamer, that I never would have bought, but I tried them out and didn't like them. Company of Heroes and King Arthur come to mind. Or really cheap Steam sale games like Serious Sam 2 and Deus Ex 2 that turned out to be terrible.

Mar 30, 2010
Only if the game is dull or broken to the point of not being fun to play. If a game isn't fun to play then I won't bother finishing it, just move onto something that is a more enjoyable use of my down-time.

Aug 31, 2012
Very rarely complete a game. I'm very picky and get bored quickly, it either has to be very short or basically on my favourite games of all time list to get finished.
I pretty much always buy slightly older games very cheaply on steam sales or Amazon so I don't really value them all that much, if I'm bored of it after an hour (or some games last about 5 minutes, I didn't even get off the ship in Mass Effect) I've only wasted a fiver or something similar.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
>do you ever give up before completion?

Tomb Raider 2013: Not finished because Lara is the antagonist / overall dumb person.

But generally I don't play games that has a finish line (KSP, SimCity, Skyrim, etc...)

Spanglish Guy

Sep 8, 2014
Happens all the time. Doesn't matter how good I thought the game was, there is still a good chance I won't finish it (I may get around to it eventually but not without months of a gap in between sessions).

The only games I go back to regularly (relatively) are games I can play with my friends or games that only take half an hour to an hour to complete.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
All the time.

I value my entertainment time too much to spend it on things that I'm not enjoying, so if a game turns out to be mediocre (or is decent but gets tedious), I'm not going to play it past that point. If it's not fun, why would I spend any more time on it?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
More often than I'd like to admit. And it isn't like I just said "I don't want to play this anymore"; but more like "I'm not in the mood for this today, I'll play something else and continue tomorrow". But tomorrow usually takes quite longer than expected (sometimes years).

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I admit, most games I own aren't even finished. Even when I like them I tend to lose any drive to finish them.
Especially counts for those that are linear in nature.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Quite often. I purchase a cheap game here, I look through many names there. If I'm not having fun, then I leave or start to shout! I see the feature-okie and I check it out. That's what it's all about.

Though sometimes my friends and I will pick a game at random and will finish the campaign together, even if it is shit.