Poll: Unreal Tournament vs Quake 3

Swat_Kat

Jun 1, 2009
Hi old school gamers, or at least people old enough to have played them.

Which of these two titles has marked you most? I ask you because these 2 have been competitors for the top online shooter spot when they came out, and I wanted to know how the Escapist followers grew up with them?

As for me Unreal Tournament was the best of the 2, it had more game modes, more weapons, a wicked AI system (at least for that time) and a good "single player" mode that made you feel like you were fighting the best teams over time.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I always preferred UT. I don't really know why; I think the aesthetics of Q3 put me off a bit.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
CS
oh wait, of these two clearly Quake 3, UT my have had more mods and stuff but since i never got tired of DM that didn't matter and Q3 just had the better maps and weapon balance. It also had the rail gun which is still the best gun to ever be in a shooter with multiplayer focus.

Plus my friends were all playing it and playing with friends is always more fun.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Q3 put the volume all the way up to 11 and UT went up up and beyond, that is why it's my all time favorite.
And if you still didn't get enough madness you bumped up the game speed, then it just got beyond insane.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Unreal Tournament. My memory may be fuzzy,and it may be me remembering the original Unreal's weapons,but...What other game has the following,all in one arsenal?

-An anti-aircraft gun repurposed into an anti-surface shotgun,that can lob frag grenades?
-A gun that fires toxic waste by the kilogram?
-A six barreled Grenade/Rocket launcher hybrid?
-A gun that is designed SOLELY to dismember? AND the rounds bounce?
-A minigun that uses the same ammo as your handgun?
-An assault-rifle/shotgun jack of all trades hybrid that shoots crystals?

Yeah. That kind of variety is nice to have. Gives you options,to say the least. And,it's so amusing to fire off a razor at someone's neck,and watch them stand there for a moment,flailing at their new stump,then flopping over dead.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
UT99 is still the most adrenaline packed multiplayer shooter I ever played, so that gets my vote. None of that 2004 crap though. Vehicles in my UT?! Blasphemy!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Unreal Tournament, I could play Morpheus and that map with the huge crane for days on end.

naam

Dec 16, 2010
I've actually just played the newer installments a lot :p as I didn't game back then
Still playing UT3 (know more people) and occasionally QL, though I find quake VODs more fun

Continuity

May 20, 2010
UT was pre-quake 3 (i think) so it had a big head start. back in those days I could only afford a few games so I was on board with UT and then stuck there... I never actually got quake 3.