Poll: Up coming AVP Game for Xbox

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
In case you don't know:
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19446/Aliens-vs-Predator-First-Details-Revealed/
http://kotaku.com/5229063/more-details-on-new-aliens-vs-predator

The main question is, will the upcoming game live up to its masterpiece PC counterpart Alien vs Predator 2 [http://pc.ign.com/objects/015/015121.html]. Which to me channeled all of the things good about half-life, and made it more Badass by adding the Predator.

My worry is that the AVP franchise typically walks the ultra thin line between awesomeness and total suck, and the movies and that awful RTS [http://xbox.ign.com/objects/499/499547.html] are examples where it slipped off to one side. I love the franchise, and I would love to see a high quality remake of a dated but amazing game.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
AvP 1 and 2 where awesome games, used to run a clan in the AvP2 days. Loved the game, still wish it was worth installing for online. I personally think if they carry the material from both games, without changing much then the game is going to rock.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Teachingaddict said:
AvP 1 and 2 where awesome games, used to run a clan in the AvP2 days. Loved the game, still wish it was worth installing for online. I personally think if they carry the material from both games, without changing much then the game is going to rock.
QFT.
I would be happy if they made the exact same game with a slightly different story and better graphics.

Oh, and some sort of anti-hacker protection. Fucking hacking Ichiro's online.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
I can only hope its a good game, the franchise is in a bit of a downward spiral.
It was never a good franchise.
The games were nice if you liked the movies, but if you didn't know about them it was just an average shooter with annoying gameplay mechanic.(aliens on the walls/ceiling)

I'll wait for the PC port, and probably kill someone if they ruin the controls.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
Were the games not out before the movies? Like long before it?
Anyway the game looks good and will hopefully get the three different factions to work properly.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Flour said:
The games were nice if you liked the movies.
People liked the Alien Versus Predator movies?

I heard that the games were fairly good, I've never played them though.

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
What the hell happened to Aliens: Colonial Marines? It was almost finished then dropped into production hell same as Ghostbusters but at least that has been saved as far as I understood it.

Colonial Marines was the one with the four player co-op btw.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Flour said:
xmetatr0nx said:
I can only hope its a good game, the franchise is in a bit of a downward spiral.
It was never a good franchise.
The games were nice if you liked the movies, but if you didn't know about them it was just an average shooter with annoying gameplay mechanic.(aliens on the walls/ceiling)

I'll wait for the PC port, and probably kill someone if they ruin the controls.
AVP 2 was good on the PC wasnt it? I honestly dont even remember anymore its been so long.
AvP2 was great. I reinstalled it a few days ago. But as I said, only people that enjoyed the movies enjoyed the games. This is also the problem with this new game. It's purely for the fans, and there aren't a lot of fans left, most have completely ignored the franchise after the two horrible movies.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
iain62a said:
Flour said:
The games were nice if you liked the movies.
People liked the Alien Versus Predator movies?

I heard that the games were fairly good, I've never played them though.

I meant the Alien and Predator movies. It would have been impressive if people started playing the games after seeing the movies. because the games were impossible to find in 2003, and the first AvP movie was released in 2004.

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
Apone said:
What the hell happened to Aliens: Colonial Marines? It was almost finished then dropped into production hell same as Ghostbusters but at least that has been saved as far as I understood it.

As much as I'd sell my family for this game, this has been in development hell for more years than many know. This was oringinally concepted just prior to the PS2 console release, and was slated for a first year release (in the PS2 lifespan). I infact remember seeing a small article in one of the first few issues of Playstation 2 magazine (or one of the official ones). Seems to me this is more of the same, and it will never be released..more to the pity.

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
Yeah I remember seeing the production pics. I really hop it doesn't go that way again. It sounded like such a good concept.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Teachingaddict said:
Apone said:

As much as I'd sell my family for this game, this has been in development hell for more years than many know. This was oringinally concepted just prior to the PS2 console release, and was slated for a first year release (in the PS2 lifespan). I infact remember seeing a small article in one of the first few issues of Playstation 2 magazine (or one of the official ones). Seems to me this is more of the same, and it will never be released..more to the pity.
No, it's still going. They're just taking their time.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Flour said:
I reinstalled it a few days ago. But as I said, only people that enjoyed the movies enjoyed the games. This is also the problem with this new game. It's purely for the fans, and there aren't a lot of fans left, most have completely ignored the franchise after the two horrible movies.
I still think you have that relationship backwards: People who enjoyed the games enjoyed the movies. Even then, I liked the games, but AVP Requiem was totally shit.

Hopefully if they make it, they'll make it good as its own as an FPS: that's how you widen the audience. If the game play is fun and exciting, then the game won't just be for the fans. If the game is just an average, samey shooter set in the AVP universe, than it will be purely for the fans.

I'm hoping they don't "update" the game in the typical fashion these days. I'm looking at you Turok. Hopefully they'll stay true to whats established, and not add regenerating health or beefy GoW super soldier marines.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Apone said:

To my knowledge, that's still on the way. I've heard no word of that game getting scrapped.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
Franchise was crap to begin with. Two franchises that were over tried to reboot themselves by colliding. Meh.
maybe the movies but the 1990s pc games were great