Poll: use of LOL and ROFLOL

Arntor

Feb 5, 2008
I think lowercase lols can be interpreted different ways under context, mostly because the lowercase version has been used to much that it's practically meaningless now. Uppercase still has the impact because of the caps and same can be said for rofl and lmao. Exclamations and capslock are usually the only ways you can get the impression that there was genuine amusement in the reaction.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
when I say "lol" I usually chuckle or smirk (sometimes I use "hehe" for this). When I actually laugh I say "LOL!!".

cartzo

Apr 16, 2009
as one named scrubious pip once said, "thou shalt not say lol unless you are actually laughing out loud".

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
"lol" seems to have morphed from an indication that you are, in fact, laughing out loud to merely stating that what you're saying is in a good mood or your insults are not meant in a derogatory way. It also seems to not mean "I'm laughing because you're funny" but "I thought it was funny and wanted you to think so. However, my reaction might not have been as active as I indicated." The second one seems to be shortened significantly by simply using three letters.

Excelcior

Aug 10, 2008
I never say it, I hate it. If anyone of you ever catches me saying it, consider my head a pinata. A pinata filled with awesome.

Also, why can't I type an 'n' with a squigly line on top? They look like 'ñ'...

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
When I see something so funny it's impossible to do my laughing justice in written word, I just go "LOL!" with all caps and exclamation mark.

And I actually say it out loud in real life too, in such cases.

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
It is overused. Very much so. I use either "hehe" for something mildy amusing or "Ahahaha"/"Bwahahahaha" for something funny, respectively for something hilarious.

Triple G

Sep 12, 2008
wolfy098 said:
How many people actually laugh when they write this?

It's overused in my opinion

Yours

used the ultimatley boring search bar
Dude my CS:S nick is w00t_LOLCATS, I HAVE to use it xDD

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
I only use it on msn, but when I type it a little laughing smiley comes up, I don't know if that counts. Basically it shows I think something is funny, or worth a "lol" without useing the damned word. Or a "haha" which I always feel is a little fake.

Yes it is overused though, half the time I can't have a conversation with out a "lol" (from my friends) every few lines.

DarkMessiah

Dec 29, 2008
If something is funny enough to make me laugh out loud, I'll usually put "I lol'd", lol is essentially "this raised a smile but wasn't funny to enough to actually make me laugh."

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
I use lol and awful lot.. lol.
And ya, it is heavily overused.
chimpzy said:
I know people that use 'LOL' in real life speach.

I feel like punching them every time.
Not in real life tho..

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
You forgot OMFGWTFROFLMAOOLFTW
If I do actually write LOL then that's because I actually laughed. It's the easiest way of expressing laughter through text. I don't use it that often though.

chimpzy said:
I know people that use 'LOL' in real life speach.

I feel like punching them every time.
I have a friend like that. One time he said it I replied by saying "facepalm".

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
I hate LOL it because it's totally lost meaning and purpose

i say HAHAHA or LMFAO but instead of showing LMFAO i use a smiley that is far funnier then the joke the person told me

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
wolfy098 said:
How many people actually laugh when they write this?

It's overused in my opinion

Yours

used the ultimatley boring search bar
I use HEHE and HAHAHAHA, alot when I actually see a comment that makes me laugh.

I've noticed a large liberal use of the smilie "XD" from the girls on this forum.

Also the search bar is not boring, tis a fun game finding out that I'm ultimatly not fucking original on any level.