Poll: Vanguard or Infiltrator? Mass Effect Series Run

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
The Vanguard is an awesome class in ME2 and ME3, but it's not as good in ME1 since you don't get the Biotic Charge power, making it basically half-soldier/half-adept instead of its own class.

Infiltrator is a great class for ME1 because you can upgrade your skill with the sniper rifle - which is extremely useful on some side missions in ME1 in which you can actually snipe from a very long range, and because you get Electronics and Decryption - which allow you to get much more loot regardless of the squadmates you choose to take with you.

My suggestion: stick with Infiltrator at least for ME1, and maybe change to Vanguard when you start ME2.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
TWEWYFan said:
MysticSlayer said:
Now, one thing you could do is play Infiltrator in ME1 and go Vanguard in ME2&3. It does allow you to change classes between the games if you want, and that will help you take advantage of when each one was at their strongest.
That could work, although I probably would prefer to keep my Shepard as one class in order to give him a more consistent feel. It strikes me as kind of odd that Shepard would almost completely forget how to use his sniper rifle and omni-tool between games. Although I suppose it is possible he could have received a tiny bit of brain damage on account of that mild case of death he suffered.
Well, if you want to go for consistency, I would definitely pick Vanguard and just tough out the first game, which you'll likely be doing anyway regardless of class selection. Needless to say, the first game was really only good for its writing and soundtrack, which were more than enough to make it a great game overall.

But, like you pointed out, there is at least some reasonable explanation between ME1 and ME2 that would explain away why Shepard "forgot" how to use a Sniper Rifle (though you do get the option to re-add it to your list of weapons midway through the game) and omni-tool.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Vanguard is weak compared to other classes in ME1, as said before. But if you build him more as a tank with a shotgun, he's still very effective. And then come ME2 and 3. This is where Vanguard shines. Biotic charge is awesome, especially once you have it specced for shorter cooldown and shield recharge with each charge. Because then you aren't a tank with a shotgun any more, but a heavy damage dealing battering ram with a shotgun. Charge -> shoot/melee x2 -> charge, etc. And in 3 it gets even more fun with charge -> nova. The most awesome combo in the game, the second being biotic detonation. (which you can easily achieve with your other 2 team mates.)

So my pick is Vanguard. Once you get through the first game, it's imo the most fun way to play the game.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Vanguard. Any day of the week.

I honestly think the gameplay of Mass Effect is downright boring with any other class.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
LetalisK said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
In ME2 and ME3, you get a slow down effect that's built in, and that's just awesome.
Didn't they gut the slow down in ME3? For some reason I remember actually modding my character to give him the Soldier's slow down ability because my Infiltrator's was barely noticeable, especially compared to ME2.
Not sure. I know it was bugged at some point if you added a weapon that increased the slow down (in that it actually cancelled your innate one), but other than that it seemed to work fine to me.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I don't know about me1 and 3 but the infiltrator in me2 is completely and utterly broken while the vanguard is so-so.
If you want an easy time, pick infiltrator.

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
I played Vanguard all 3. It is easy to see how the game becomes easier and easier. In first you had to work hard to clear the level. In second you gain antihusk Shockwave, which wins you half of the levels..

And walkthrough to the ME3 is:
1) Bind Charge to 1
2) Bind Nova to 2
3) 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-win

The only difficulty is one bugged area in omega dlc, where you instadie if you charge. But it is not that hard to deal with.

Aug 1, 2010
Hazy said:
Vanguard is the high risk, high reward class.

Suffice to say, it's awesome. You're like a Jedi that rams into people at Mach 10.

Pretty much this 100%

Vanguard in ME2 and 3 is obscenely fun. You could easily build an entire game around the Charge mechanic and forgot all the story and everything else and it would still be a great game.

It's a bit less great in ME1, but the combat in that game is so easily broken, class really doesn't matter.

I've actually been thinking about doing a full series Vanguard playthrough myself

Also apparently the image command can include parameters. I can't believe I never knew this.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
In ME1, I'd say Infiltrator, simply because Vanguards are kind of squishy and don't have that many perks, while sniper rifles can be immensely useful. Once the Vanguard gets their absolutely spectacular biotic charge in ME2, though I'd say Vanguard all the way; the tactical cloak is fun, but killing enemies with a psychic cannonball-headbutt and a blast of fuck-you delivered via shotgun is just pure brilliance.

Captcha: turkey sandwich. Dammit, now I'm hungry

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Vanguard. You get the biotic charge power in ME2 and 3. It's easily the most fun ability in the game. You launch across the battlefield into your enemies. It's a great positioning ability. In ME3, you can use it in combination with nova and low cool down to basically be constantly charging around and blasting people. It's fast, chaotic, and extremely fun.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Sentinel! Nothing can kill that bugger! Tech and Bio for the first game and you're not restricted with weapon categories in 2 and 3. You're stuck with a pistol for 1, but it still kicks ass ;)

From your choices, I always preferred vanguard. There's something intimate about blasting your opponents to pieces from point-blank range. Unless you like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sink. ME1 is also the only one with some serious use for a sniper rifle. ME2,3 have much smaller environments so sniper is not as unique but party members actually use it well, don't count on any worthwhile sniping from Garrus in ME1.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Vanguard is more fun for me personally (even in number 1 where a shotgun barrier build makes me feel immortal, but that game's easy to break so whatever). If you're the sort who likes high difficulty settings and meticulous planning, go infiltrator. If you like charging at 90 miles an hour into much larger opponents and melting their face off with a shotgun blast go Vanguard.

I was sold on Vanguard the moment the Jedi comparison was made.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Vanguard is the god tier class in the Mass Effect series, after ME1 of course, but the lift ability in ME1 was a great enemy stopper which even helped stop Saren's hopping ass in the final battle.
ME2 and ME3 greatly improved Vanguard gameplay, especially in ME3 where with the right build you can take out entire waves of enemies with out firing a shot. Charge, shields and Nova are your best friends.

So, if you want to stick it out with Vanguard in ME1 then good luck, otherwise just pick another class and then switch as a you play ME2.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Vanguard on console, Infiltrator on PC. I can't get the hang of FPS with controllers and I can't handle melee with keyboards and mouse. But, really, the Engineer trumps them all in all three games.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
TWEWYFan said:
To that end, I have been trying to decide what class to give my Shepard this time and as you may have gathered from the title I am torn between the Infiltrator and the Vanguard. Now, I've played with each of these classes and I enjoy them both. The thing is, they're both fun in very different ways.
So keeping all this mind, which of these would you pick and why? Or keeping it out of mind, which of these is your favorite?
For a run of all three games? Vanguard.

I loved Infiltrator in ME1, but it lost a lot of its luster once sniping stopped being a viable option in the much tighter areas of ME2. Things opened up a little in ME3, but enemies also tend to spawn in from difficult to predict directions, so sniping isn't always viable.

That said, I went ahead and played Infiltrator through all three games. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, it's really, really annoying.

Vanguard, on the other hand, has the opposite curve. In ME1, it's a pain, but it gets better and better as the games go on. In ME3, Vanguard is one of the most fun and satisfying classes.

So yeah, go Vanguard. And then go Infiltrator on your next run (two best classes).

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Gameplay wise, ignore Mass Effect 1. It's gameplay is shit, and easy to break if you so much as sneeze at it. Combat in ME 2 and 3 is a completely different (and much better) beast so go with what you want to play most in those two.

As for which class, it depends on what you want.

Infiltrator is mostly a stealth based sniper. Cloak and shoot. Nothing you can't get out of a dozen other games but still very fun. It can get a bit easy though. In ME2, Shepards squad are the only people you encounter with access to Sniper Rifles. Snipers are more common in ME3 but not by much.

Vanguard is a close combat battering ram of pure shotgun magic death. It is a lot more unique and requires a good deal more skill. Charge is just insanely fun, and it just gets better in ME3.

By the way, Shotgun Infiltrators are perfectly viable, as are Rifle Vanguards. They just take a while to get going in ME2.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
I always go Vanguard. Shockwave is really fun to use especially when you upgrade it to heavy shockwave and fling people like 10 ft in the air.
Shockwave's also extremely useful on the derelict reaper mission when your facing like 15-20 husks at a time. Either a 1 or 2 hit kill depending on how much you invest in it.

As far as weapons go. ME1 and 2 sort of limit you on what weapons you can use. ME1 will let you use all of the weapons, but the ones that you aren't trained in will be pretty much useless, as you will be about as accurate with it as you would if you were firing an AK47 one handed while blindfolded and do about as much damage per round as a slingshot shooting cotton balls.

ME2 takes it a bit further by completely barring you from using the weapons you aren't trained in all together. There is a point in the game that's about half way through where you can pick up a new weapons training though.

ME3 lets you use all weapons regardless of class, but I believe it gives you bonuses toward certain weapon types depending on what class you are. Don't quote me on that though.

Overall, I would recommend the Vanguard, especially if your looking for a bit of a challenge and are one of those high risk/high reward players. Since the Vanguard's defenses are equal to that of a piece of tissue paper, you definitely have to pick your targets and when you leave cover to take shots. You will also want to make extensive use of your powers.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Potentially useful note: Shockwave is completely useless above Veteran difficulty. It's pretty powerful for Vet and below, but if you intend to play on Hardcore or Insanity then avoid it like the plague.