Poll: Warhammer 40k Books, which one to go for next?

McMouse

May 7, 2009
anything by Dan Abnett, but specifically Gaunts Ghosts as it has the best characters the best variety, its only issues is if you turn into a massive nerd about it like me there is some continuity issues (like how the hot shots seem to change every book :p)

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Just to mention a couple that usually get overlooked, there currently 2 books written by Sandy Mitchell (Ciaphas Cain, Tilean Rat etc) to go along with Dark Heresy and they both give a nice insight into 40K away from the battlefield, a bit like the other Inquisition based books. There's another series following a Rogue Trader Clan in the run up to the Damocles gulf war that shows a bit more of the civilian culture of the Imperium too.

As well as Space Marine mentioned above there was another early 90's 40K book called Deathwing that was all short stories. They probably feel more like sci fi shorts than 40k stories to the current generation but that's why I like them, worth a go if you want to see something a bit different (you can get it on e-book from BL).

Tales of Heresy is another short collection in the Horus Heresy series, but since it's a collection of shorts you don't need to worry about reading the rest first.

Ciaphas Cain gets another recommendation, not only is it quite funny it manages to avoid making the majority of the Imperium's population out to be monumental retards.

EDIT: Oh yeah...what are they called? DH books are "Innocence proves nothing" and "Purge the Heretic", I forget which comes first. RT books are Rogue Star and Star of Damocles. Not read the second and the first isn't brilliantly memorable as a book but from a fluff perspective it's quite interesting.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Definitely the Eisenhorn trilogy followed by the Gaunt's Ghosts series. The Space Wolves novels are good, but not in the same league as those two, in my opinion, although certainly worth reading. The Horus Heresy novels are good, but again, Eisenhorn stands head-and-shoulders above the other Warhammer 40000 novels.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Cheers guys, by something of a majority, I've got Cain and Eisenhorn on order, with the others bookmarked to read at some later date, whenever that may be.

Neo10101

Sep 7, 2009
You should check out the Ciaphas Cain series. A very funny spin on everything and easy to relate to the character because he is a commissar as opposed to some super powerful guy and/or girl. He is always trying to get out of trouble, finding himself in more trouble. Go read those books, plus they come in omnibusses so, 3 books and some short stories for the price of one.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
Since no one else has I recommend Enforcer. It really sheds light on the role the that the more basic levels of law play in the Impuerium. Nowhere near as good as Eseinhorn and Revanor are but it makes for a good read.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I vote for Ciaphas Cain, and naturally I'm the only person you should listen to.

I make the stories more fun by imagining all the female Imperial Guard as sexy anime characters.

guess who

Jan 22, 2009
I'm going to go ahead and say another recommendation for Gaunt's Ghosts. Also I'm going to recommend the book Daemon World, it's a stand alone book with a focus on chaos (obviously,) if your looking for a quick break from the Imperium I highly recommend it.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
You wanna start with the Heresy. That really is the best place and should be read before everything else.
But eh, Ciaphas Cain series is also fucking awesome. Gaunts Ghosts is okay but not great. Last Chancers is also fucking awesome just for how dark that shit gets.

deakin_j

Mar 14, 2011
The Imperial Guard books are often a very good choice (with the exception of redemption corps, by Rob Sanders), and i'm going to continue adding support for Ciaphus Cain, Gaunt's Ghosts and especially the Last Chancers if you can find it.

Also of note are the Space Marine Battles series, each of which focuses on an established campaign, or note from the codexes, and fleshes out the background while also being pretty good reads.