Poll: Waterworld - The MMO/ RTS - Good Idea?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Just watched Waterworld and thought this would be a good premise for an MMORPG/ RTS.

Play as one of four types:

Drifters: Sail a boat of somekind and do your best to be as self sufficient as possible a la the Mariner (K. Costner). You can trade with other drifters by 'the code' or try to steal/ raid them. This would make every trade tension filled as you don't know whether or not your trader is going to try killing you/ steal something at any given moment.

Smokers: Play as just one or work with others as a group. You'd have your own hideout i.e. The Deez in the movie. You go around raiding settlers, attacking drifters, etc. Aim is to just have fun at the expense of other gamers online.

Settlers/ atollers: Work with other gamers to build a self sufficient base that can deter smokers. Each member would have their own house within the atoll, but you ultimately work as a team to make it all work. However, they would have to venture out into the water to get more resources if Drifters don't trade the resources they need. Unfortunately, as their boats aren't as good as the drifter's, this will be more risky if they come across smokers or greedy drifters who will kill, steal, or catch and sell you to slavers.

Slavers: Although not shown in the film, there are slave traders in Waterworld. Become one, and make it your business to buy slaves to make money. You'll trade slaves off of drifters and smokers, but you'll have competition against other slavers, so you'll likely be working to give your colony the strongest defense and make the most money.

What do you guys think?

Devious Boomer

Nov 18, 2009
I've never heard of 'Waterworld' before, but the concept of playing as different factions of society is interesting, though not unheard of.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Pararaptor said:
Isn't Waterworld regarded as one of the worst films of all time?
I thought it was just a box office disaster. As in didn't make any money.

Mad Max would be make a better game though. hang on...

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Pararaptor said:
It's a 'love it or hate it' film as far as I'm aware. It didn't do too well at the box office, but the theme attractions at Universal Studios is very popular.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
No, because it would be impossible to balance.

Also, besides the P2P combat, what would drive the story? What quests or dungeons or anything interesting could you have in that environment? How could you mine or farm to acquire more resources? (yes, I know you could steal, but eventually you'd run out of people to steal from) It's a definite dead-end. The point of that movie is the futility of attempting to survive.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
Also, besides the P2P combat, what would drive the story?
The search for the legendary 'dry land'.

What quests or dungeons or anything interesting could you have in that environment?
What makes this idea unique is that you DON'T have to do boring, unoriginal, sometimes arbitrary dungeon crawling.

Quests could be to trade or attack other factions to get the resources you need. Travelling different destinations.

Sure, most of the environment is water, but the different settler colonies would likely have different technologies depending on where in the world they are/ what their cultures are.

Also, this game could be set after the film where it's now common knowledge that there are buried cities underneath. Maybe you could have quests to go underwater and explore the cities for further resources?

How could you mine or farm to acquire more resources?
You fish. Also, the reason why soil is so valuable in the film is it's used to grow plants/fruit.

OMGMOO

Feb 19, 2010
HAHAHA an episode of Skithouse (australian sketch comedy show) had 'Answer Man' tell everyone the truth that the worst movie ever made was Waterworld. I didnt mind it as a kid, but i still thought the sketch was funny. Ahh Kevin Costner you old dog xD

OT: I guess a single player MMO version would be like fallout with less scenery, an MMO version would be like any other MMO (fun grindathon's to pass the time IMO), but an RTS game would be pretty shocking with no chokepoints/high and low ground, although i guess it could work with a lot of well placed floating platforms or something.

Xodion

Apr 8, 2008
Pararaptor said:
As stated above, it's a love/hate film - Costner's other post-apocalyptic film The Postman is regarded as one of the worst films of all time, and everyone I've met who has seen it said it was awful. I personally love both of them, because I'm a massive fan of post-apocalyptic settings.

OT: I would love to play a Waterworld MMORPG, especially if you can build custom boats out of bits of scrap metal you find. Atollers might have to be padded out by NPCs, as I think most people would go for being a Drifter or a Smoker - why would you want to be stuck in one place when you can sail around?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Xodion said:
Pararaptor said:
As stated above, it's a love/hate film - Costner's other post-apocalyptic film The Postman is regarded as one of the worst films of all time, and everyone I've met who has seen it said it was awful. I personally love both of them, because I'm a massive fan of post-apocalyptic settings.

OT: I would love to play a Waterworld MMORPG, especially if you can build custom boats out of bits of scrap metal you find. Atollers might have to be padded out by NPCs, as I think most people would go for being a Drifter or a Smoker - why would you want to be stuck in one place when you can sail around?
Yeah, true. I was thinking this idea would only likely work as an RTS.

I've yet to watch The Postman. I'll have to do so at some point out of curiosity.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Waterworld is supposed to be the worst movie of all time, not sure who decided that but he probably hasn't seen Cloverfield.

In fact, I liked Waterworld.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I'd play a single player cross between GTA and a bioware game, where I customize my own character and boat and do mission in a sandbox world (though the number of these is getting tedious).

Especially if your character had the gills and webbed feet, some under water salvage mission could spice things up.

I want to feel as if I'm sailing the boat though, it needs to be graceful yet heavy, I make big turns over a large area. My character runs from wheel to sails adjusting stuff, once I get it optimal, I take a break to scan the horizon with some binoculars, I see a ship in the distance and try to work out if it's a pirate, I snatch up my speargun and prepare to meet them.

Xodion

Apr 8, 2008
BrynThomas said:
I'd play a single player cross between GTA and a bioware game, where I customize my own character and boat and do mission in a sandbox world (though the number of these is getting tedious).

Especially if your character had the gills and webbed feet, some under water salvage mission could spice things up.

I want to feel as if I'm sailing the boat though, it needs to be graceful yet heavy, I make big turns over a large area. My character runs from wheel to sails adjusting stuff, once I get it optimal, I take a break to scan the horizon with some binoculars, I see a ship in the distance and try to work out if it's a pirate, I snatch up my speargun and prepare to meet them.
That sailing mechanic sounds good; since you would likely be using sails you could hardly expect it to turn immediately and stop turning as soon as you let go of the stick. It would probably be easier to steer like that, but I wouldn't be playing this game for it to be easy - I want realism, damn it!

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
With enough effort put into it, I'd play it :D I liked the idea, and frankly I even liked the movie to some extent. There's a part in Borderlands (how much does that tell about me?) taking place on a stranded tanker ship that reminded me of Waterworld, as did Zelda:Wind Waker, in a puny, squishy, childish way :D