Poll: Weed - Legal or Illegal?

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Elcarsh said:
FreelanceButler said:
Not saying that no one would be able to do it responsibly but... Well, you seem like a bright fella, you know if legalizing the stuff would lead to a significant rise in people taking it?
Some increase is to be expected.

So? What does it matter? What's the harm in it?
More stoned people on the road and on the streets? Doesn't sound awfully safe.
That's what I'd assume, anyway. I'm probably wrong.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Elcarsh said:
FreelanceButler said:
More stoned people on the road and on the streets? Doesn't sound awfully safe.
That's what I'd assume, anyway. I'm probably wrong.
So? There are already laws in place regarding driving while under the influence, that wouldn't change in any way whatsoever.

If a person thinks it's alright to drive while under the influence of drugs, be it cannabis or alcohol, they aren't going to be MORE inclined to do so if cannabis becomes legal, are they?
Laws don't stop people certain people now. More people influenced would probably lead to more people out and about not giving a willies about the laws of the road.

hailfire

Mar 5, 2011
ever person I've met who smokes pot has been a lazy bum, so if it were up to me it would stay illegal. as for everyone who is comparing it to alochol, we probably would be better off without alcohol, but prohibition proved we can't make something illegal that has been legal in the past. even more reason not to legalize pot, because if we do, we can never go back.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Elcarsh said:
Again, what makes you think they would care any LESS about the laws of the road if cannabis were to be legalized?

If they think it's fine to drive while under the influence, does it matter if it's cannabis or alcohol? They will still be willing to break the law.
It's not so much I think the same people would care less, it's that there'd be more people influenced. "New people", if you will, who don't drink much but would be doing some sort of substance every other hour, now out on the road since it seems a little more acceptable.
Heck, maybe the same people would act differently under drugs rather than alcohol. Going out with the mindset "I haven't drunk anything, I'll be fine".

Archany

Jun 16, 2010
Weed has many the same health problems as cigarettes, but the main difference is that people will smoke two packs a day of cigarettes, and then have a joint or two of weed, weed comes out on top.
Plus, driving stoned isn't really that difficult, if anything it makes you more careful.
And getting high isn't like getting drunk, you just get happy, you don't get into bar fights you just start telling jokes and having fun, you can't OD on weed, plus the government could make a shit ton of money by legalizing it, and weed has no physical addiction, like with nicotine, there's only a mental addiction which is gone in two weeks, there's really no reason to not legalize.
However, the other "hard" drugs should be kept illegal, those all are obscenely addictive, and have ridiculously adverse effects on your health.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Elcarsh said:
FreelanceButler said:
It's not so much I think the same people would care less, it's that there'd be more people influenced. "New people", if you will, who don't drink much but would be doing some sort of substance every other hour, now out on the road since it seems a little more acceptable.
Heck, maybe the same people would act differently under drugs rather than alcohol. Going out with the mindset "I haven't drunk anything, I'll be fine".
So, you believe that a sizeable portion of the part of the population which consists of people who never drink are instead likely to take up frequent smoking of cannabis?

You don't think the people most likely to smoke cannabis are the people who already drink alcohol frequently?

That does sound infinitely more likely.
It's like I said, I don't have any evidence or anything to back my stuff up, I'm just spouting my assumptions. I know I'm wrong, I thought we established this, we'll leave it at that.
I'm not good at this thought out debate malarckey.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Even if weed was harmful (it isn't) it should be legal anyway. I'd say we should have the right to do and take whatever we want. Whilst on the subject, all drugs should be legalised. That way those stupid enough to take things like cocaine and heroin would be killed, gene pool cleansing baby.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
*sigh*

Do I have to do this again??? Christ, nearly twenty years and people STILL haven't gotten the hint...

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Absolutely legalize. I don't really care how harmful it is, the simple fact of the matter is that, in a free country, the individual has the freedom to do anything that does not deprive another individual of their freedom. An individual can't choose to use drugs in the privacy of their own homes? Then it's not a free country.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
Either outlaw booze or legalize and regulate weed.
Prohibition. In the 20s. It didn't last long. We need to win over weed. WE CAN DO IT.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Liberaliter said:
Even if weed was harmful (it isn't) it should be legal anyway. I'd say we should have the right to do and take whatever we want. Whilst on the subject, all drugs should be legalised. That way those stupid enough to take things like cocaine and heroin would be killed, gene pool cleansing baby.
The only problem with that is when people get others killed whilst on drugs. People on cocaine can become incredibly aggressive and almost uncaring of injury, they're the kind of people you don't want a bar full of.

If everyone took drugs and then sat quietly I'd not really care, but they don't. They take drugs and then they get real stupid and try and do things, people on drugs aren't very good at doing things.
That's true but does it really matter? The idea here is personal responsibility. If a man kills someone, does it make a difference if the man was intoxicated or not? The answer to that question is another question: would the man still committed murder if he wasn't intoxicated or wasn't sober? As there are no drugs that directly cause a man to murder, the man must've had the potential to commit murder in him. It was the man's fault and not the drug's. Furthermore, if the man is the sort who can commit murder, that most heinous of crimes, I daresay he would not be dissuaded from drug use, the most benign of crimes. The only time that a drug could be blamed for the murder is if the drug in question causes most men to murder.

It is my belief that no one should have the right to restrict what a person does to his/her own body as long as that action does not harm or endanger others. There is no problem in a person doing heroin in the comfort of his/her own home, but there is a problem with someone doing heroin while flying a packed 747. Therefore the illegal action should not be doing heroin but doing heroin while flying the aforementioned 747. There are laws against public drunkenness and driving while drunk but the consumption of alcohol is not forbidden. This is how I feel it should be with all drugs.

Since we are talking about marijuana in particular here, I feel that it's necessarily to point out that marijuana is a very relaxing drug and one is substantially less likely to intentionally harm others while on it.