Poll: Well how did you feel about the Purple Wedding (GoT Spoilers)

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Watching Joffery die like he did I was actively cheering and shouting die you bastard die.

That's a first for me...

The Dwarf scene was just fucking terrible in the good way. I didnt think it was funny and found it distasful. I am glad it was there tho if you know the books you know its perfectly fine to be in there. Also its not like Joffery is a good guy or anything man I wanted to punch him every time I saw him for being such a twat.

So what was some of the highlights for you guys and where you as happy to watch the twat die as I was?

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
When I was reading the book I put it down and high fived my wife, I don't watch the show though.

When just desserts are served they are served well, George RR Martin is really good at making me hate people.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Purple wedding?
Is that what people are calling it? It's not as catchy as the Red Wedding.

I'm glad they changed what they did from the books, like the dwarf scene with Tyrion, I thought it worked really well on-screen.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
It was amazing. And it made me do something that I never thought I would do... have sympathy for Joffery. Don't get me wrong, he got everything coming to him and deserved a lot worse in my opinion, but I couldn't get over how he died. For the length of the show he was untouchable, his crimes devoid of any real punishment (save for a few meme worthy slaps to the face), and he ruled with a supreme air of arrogance that made him so easy to hate. But at the end, all this was stripped away; no annoying smirk, no threats of violence, not even a crown on his head. All things that he used to lord over people, gone. As he died he was just a small boy, crying in the arms of his mother as he choked his last breath.

It was amazing and I am glad they did it the way they did.

Captcha: river styx

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Since I read the books I knew it was coming, and to that end, the lead up to it felt a little long. I spent about ten minutes going "just kill the little fungus already" especially when the dwarfs came out. Still, the actual death, good times.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
I was surprised it happened this early in the season, but whatever. Glad Joffrey's gone, he was a dick.

Also, the Purple Wedding is a stupid fucking name. I don't think it had a name in the books, but the King's Wedding works just fine.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I'd been waiting for it ever since I read it in the books, and it didn't disappoint me one bit. The scene between Cersei, Tywin and Oberyn was just delicious, watching Oberyn roast them both in epic fashion. No less satisfying was Tyrion's rebuttal to Joffrey's proposition. The part with the dwarves battling was actually even better than in the books. And of course the main dish, the final death scene, was the best of them all. I just grinned like a maniac with glee all the way up to it, and started shaking when it happened.

Also, fangasm when Bronn and Jaime practiced swordfighting. I know, it's something out of a fan fiction, but by God, was it ever cool to see!

A sublime episode. And there's still so much to come! This might be the best season GoT has had yet, and we're only 2 episodes in!

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Treeinthewoods said:
The show works well at making us hate him just as much as it did in the books but seeing the death over reading it it was so great see.

You know a char is well made when you hate him for the right reasons and are glad to see him die.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Why was it called The Purple Wedding when there was nothing purple about it other than Joffrey choked up face? (Sig!)

Still that was some strong posion for his face darken and his sclera bleed like that!

Now I want to know who spike the drink since obvious Tyrion is innocent despite he does got the motive but yet again everyone got a motive to killed him!!! I guessing it could be that queen since the the goblet was near her or maybe Litte Finger since he has been the manipulative character.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
It's called the Purple wedding because of royalty.

Anyways, I'm not watching season 4 till I catch up and finish book 3, knew joffery's death was coming, didn't think it would be so soon though, thought it would be a end of season/book thing.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I thought it was interesting how they went so heavy on the poison route compared to the book where it seemed just as likely at first that he just choked to death on the pie. As such, the pretty visceral death he had seemed almost too over the top for me.

Overall I really liked the episode and found that some of the seemingly small changes they've made from the book actually open up some very interesting possibilities for the future.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
"'Bout damn time." That was my reaction. Read the books so it wasn't as poignant as it otherwise would have been. Need to re-read these chapters to recall what comes next. This seems to be a bit early for the "shocking moment" though I'm sure they'll come up with something to keep us interested.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I did not see the episode, but read the book. Honestly I thought Joffrey would kill Cersei, Emperor Nero style, before he died.
ihavetwo said:
Colour Scientist said:
debtcollector said:
Scarim Coral said:
SecretNegative said:
Simskiller said:
It mentions in the book that "some are calling this the purple wedding." The purple wedding because, in the books he turns purple.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
You don't know how long I was waiting for this to happen and the wait was worth it, it was just satisfying, respect to Jack Gleeson, amazing actor, it's a shame he said he's quitting acting after GoT.

ragethebeast

Oct 19, 2010
Loved the wedding part, everything about it was better than i had hoped it would be since reading it. The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)

Michael Law

Mar 16, 2012
The gem, royalty, wine ,and the little bastards face are all purple so people started calling it that. Not a new name, I've called it that for years now. But no, it is not as catchy as the red wedding.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
ragethebeast said:
Loved the wedding part, everything about it was better than i had hoped it would be since reading it. The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)
I'd say it's because before he was deadset on his goal, now it seems like he's questioning the blind dedication by the followers of his mad religion, and he sees them for what they are. A danger to him and his family, which he overlooked because he was so obsessed by the throne and Melisandre.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
ragethebeast said:
The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)
It's necessary to counter balance Stannis' trademark gruff nature with acts of kindness in the series, otherwise he'll come across as worse than he really is in the new medium.

Sadly, subtlety doesn't work as well in cinema as it does on paper, especially when you switch to a method where you can't see other character's thoughts.

That said, I don't think the characterization was all that horrid. It was a good focal point for the conflict of Stannis' personal morals and those of the red woman he depends on.