Poll: Well how did you feel about the Purple Wedding (GoT Spoilers)

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
A little off topic and to avoid spoiler trolls, I'm not going to read any replies, so if you don't want to bother replying then that's fine. I've seen this episode, so it doesn't directly affect me this time, but...

I'm so tired of Diet Spoilers. I never read the books and I never directly heard anyone say anything about S3E9 or the details of its plot, but unless the rest of Earth is so completely narratively retarded compared to me and I'm some sort of literary prophetic genius, it's impossible to not know pretty much everything that was going to happen by throwing around terms like "The Red Wedding." Retweeting George R. R. Martin saying "You're Welcome" is a spoiler. Telling people not to watch a Youtube clip if they haven't seen it when the title is blatantly embedded with "GRAPHIC SCENE: RED WEDDING" is a spoiler.

This thread really isn't the optimal place for this discussion I know, but if I hadn't seen the show and I saw this thread title, I'd go into the episode having immediately known something significant was going to happen or that a major character would die and the impact of it would have been completely diluted.

I understand that when a show is great and with social media being rampant, it's hard not to get excited and to sort of get into a big Internet huddle, but for what it's worth, putting "THE PURPLE WEDDING (GoT SPOILERS) into a title is 80% of a spoiler unto itself. Why do people do this? Why not "GoT Season 4 Episode 2 Opinions?" or something? It's like if the Internet was around in 1980 and you made a thread about Empire Strikes Back using a father-son joke, but still had a parenthetical spoiler warning.

Alright, carry on.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
It's called the Purple Wedding because Purple is the color of royalty. No further questions are needed on the subject.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The show finally got to that bit, eh?

I'm just thankful I won't have to listen to the illiterate screen beans prattling on about, "OMG, Joffrey is soooo evil, #roastjoffrey lololol!"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Clapped in glee, well close to it anyway.

Nobody tells off Sigur Ros and commands them to leave and lives to tell about it. Nobody.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The only thing I didn't like about it was Joffrey wasn't cut in half satisfyingly by one of the many characters prone to doing that.

ragethebeast said:
Loved the wedding part, everything about it was better than i had hoped it would be since reading it. The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)
I get the impression he's sort of dragged along with the whole Sun God thing and is actually a bit disgusted at his own actions and the insanity he's surrounded with, but acts the part until it comes to his daughter, which is where he has to draw the line. I don't know if that's how he's supposed to be but that's how he comes across to me as a non-reader.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
ragethebeast said:
Loved the wedding part, everything about it was better than i had hoped it would be since reading it. The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)
at least they nailed his lack of compassion for his wife xD but yeah, he did seem a tad too keen on his daughter, but they've also made his wife even madder, in the books she was just insanely devoted to the red god, not insane in general.

i loved the last few moments. not for the death - that was disappointing because he didn't claw his own throat out - but for tyrion's actions. they totally got his attempts at diffusing the situation, trying to appease joffrey and give him an out to act gracefully yet he never took it. also i got immense satisfaction from seeing Lena Headey's smile wiped off her face, she portrays cersei really well IMO

MeChaNiZ3D said:
I get the impression he's sort of dragged along with the whole Sun God thing and is actually a bit disgusted at his own actions and the insanity he's surrounded with, but acts the part until it comes to his daughter, which is where he has to draw the line. I don't know if that's how he's supposed to be but that's how he comes across to me as a non-reader.
i'll give you that. i think as time goes on he gets more sucked into it, but there is definitely conflict. it's almost as is davos and melissandre are two angels on his shoulders, one appealing to his previous life of justice and righteousness and the other trying to get him to change and embrace the lord of light. i certainly see davos that way, and his promotion to hand i always thought was his attempt to keep himself in check when he has moments of doubt

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Arya should be the one to kill him. They would have a second fight mirroring the one at the river, except this time they're both adults, and are equipped with swords rather than sticks.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
its funny..I don't even watch this show..I can't bring myself to, yet I feel compelled wiki/TV tropes binge on it to figure out the context for all the stuff I hear.....its terrible

that shit with "reek"/Theon is just....too much..I mean [i/]god[/i] *shudder*

Colour Scientist said:
Purple wedding?
Is that what people are calling it? It's not as catchy as the Red Wedding.

I'm glad they changed what they did from the books, like the dwarf scene with Tyrion, I thought it worked really well on-screen.
was it in regards to the color of the poison/the color it turned joffrey?

Zhukov said:
The show finally got to that bit, eh?

I'm just thankful I won't have to listen to the illiterate screen beans prattling on about, "OMG, Joffrey is soooo evil, #roastjoffrey lololol!"
little elitist aren't we?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Vault101 said:
its funny..I don't even watch this show..I can't bring myself to, yet I feel compelled wiki/TV tropes binge on it to figure out the context for all the stuff I hear.....its terrible

that shit with "reek"/Theon is just....too much..I mean [i/]god[/i] *shudder*

Colour Scientist said:
Purple wedding?
Is that what people are calling it? It's not as catchy as the Red Wedding.

I'm glad they changed what they did from the books, like the dwarf scene with Tyrion, I thought it worked really well on-screen.
was it in regards to the color of the poison/the color it turned joffrey?
You should give it a shot, reading about it is probably worse than actually watching it.

Yeah, it relates to Joffrey turning purple but I don't think it works as well as the Red Wedding.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I was sad. Joffrey was a little *****, but I loved to hate him. Who am I gonna hate now?!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
You should give it a shot, reading about it is probably worse than actually watching it.

Yeah, it relates to Joffrey turning purple but I don't think it works as well as the Red Wedding.
the fact I feel compelled to do that at all probably makes it true..maybe I will one day but theres only so much unpleasantness I can take XD...I should though, I think I'd want to read the books first

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Vault101 said:
Colour Scientist said:

the fact I feel compelled to do that at all probably makes it true..maybe I will one day but theres only so much unpleasantness I can take XD...I should though, I think I'd want to read the books first
Yeah, they're pretty good.
He's not going to win any awards for his writing any time soon but they're engaging and it's easy to eat your way through them.
I watched season one, couldn't wait to find out what happened and read the books before the start of season two.

The show isn't unpleasant all of the time, just most of the time. XD
I guess you only hear about the shocking things that happens so you miss out on the light-hearted, more human side of the show.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
Yeah, they're pretty good.
He's not going to win any awards for his writing any time soon but they're engaging and it's easy to eat your way through them.
well I guess thats good since theyre're long and picking up a doorstopper high fantasy is pretty intimidating

[quote/]The show isn't unpleasant all of the time, just most of the time. XD
I guess you only hear about the shocking things that happens so you miss out on the light-hearted, more human side of the show.[/quote]

yeah, its not that I cant take unpleasantness its just when you start getting...[i/]heavy[/i] with characters motivations shades of grey and all that..well its just me, hard to explain

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I was laughing. Almost as hard as I laughed at the Red Wedding. I really have not seen a death in ASoIaF so far that happened to someone who didn't deserve it in some way. And I'm a guy who really delights in witnessing comeuppance. And few deserved it more than Joff. Although I always found a kind of bizarre honesty in his crapulence. With most of the other characters they either tried to conceal their dark side or had some kind of dark secret they tried to protect. At least Joff made no bones about what a little douche he was.
(Note: I don't watch the show. Unless they start deviating from the books in a more significant manner I don't see the point of paying for HBO to see a show that's showing me nothing I didn't already read a decade ago.)

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
A_suspicious_cabbage said:
Dueling Joffrey again would be a culmination of both of their arcs up to this point. We get a much more direct narrative link- Joffrey suffers for his cruelty by the blade of someone he fought years ago and lashed out against. He would be just as responsible, but we would also see how his opponent has changed. It would be a parallel battle, the stakes far more dire.

Joffrey being poisoned may certainly be a catalyst, but it comes so suddenly that we are left without buildup and dramatic tension that him meeting Arya again would have given us.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Loved it. Though now I'm looking forward to the slow reveal and the downfall of a few choice characters...

Vault101 said:
well I guess thats good since theyre're long and picking up a doorstopper high fantasy is pretty intimidating
Might sound silly, but I found reading them on my tablet was less intimidating as I couldn't actually see the size of the book... I don't know how that works but I got more engaged in the story and less worried about how much was left to read.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Great episode! I loved the pacing, the acting... everything was brilliant. And that end, dang! Didn't see it coming.
I don't hate Joffrey, I thought he was comically evil, meaning he tries too hard to make people hate him. (which doesn't work on me cuz I'm a rebel.)

Can't wait to see more!

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Pinkamena said:
I was sad. Joffrey was a little *****, but I loved to hate him. Who am I gonna hate now?!
Take your pick, it's not like there's a lack of characters to hate.