Poll: Well how did you feel about the Purple Wedding (GoT Spoilers)

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
While he was breathing his last seconds I kept gleefully say "Die you bastard!" (pun intended).

I was quite happy with this outcome, although I would of preferred if he would of suffered more than just simply choking to death. He deserved way more so he got off easy if you ask me.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
I didn't recall that it happened this early (in both HBO and Storm of Swords duology sense). Other than that, you could describe my reaction as dull surprise related to the earliness.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I found the scene extremely disappointing. Nothing to do with the show; when that scene happened in the book I just felt a sort of disappointing apathy. I'm still not very well adjusted to George R. R. Martin's way of handling characters, and I had ignorantly assumed Joffery would be a large part of the story for a time to come. The way he dies left me feeling extremely unsatisfied. I haven't finished the books though, so I don't know if there's much more to it all, but I was truly hoping he'd go in a more justice born manner. I felt awful seeing him lying on the ground purple faced, but I still have to say I would have felt much better about the scene if Tyrion or someone else had actually stabbed him. (Not realistic, but I can dream).

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
It looked appropriately painful. So I liked that.

My only problem, however, is that he's not an interesting type of evil. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He's evil, stupid, and weak in every way possible.

Seriously - imagine any scenario you want. Now place Joffrey in that situation. He is guaranteed to deal with it in the worst way possible. Basically, the worst thing you can do with a character is either make him / her perfect in every way or terrible in every way.

The issue with Joffrey was that he was comically evil, aimless in his cruelty.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I loved it. Joffrey got a chance to be the most delightfully horrible he's been in a long time AND IT WAS GLORIOUS, and then he died a painful, revolting death AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.

I went to bed happy.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
The_Scrivener said:
I'm so tired of Diet Spoilers.
Realistically I'm incredibly amused by people that are getting angry at "spoilers" for a story that was written a decade ago. There's a limit on how long you can call something a spoiler and I think over ten years is pushing it.

SKBPinkie said:
My only problem, however, is that he's not an interesting type of evil. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He's evil, stupid, and weak in every way possible.

Seriously - imagine any scenario you want. Now place Joffrey in that situation. He is guaranteed to deal with it in the worst way possible. Basically, the worst thing you can do with a character is either make him / her perfect in every way or terrible in every way.

That's kind of the point of him, he's not an evil genius or a demon, he's a spoiled petty cruel little boy given way more power than he should ever have had and doted on by parents that treasured him past seeing his flaws, partially due to how he was conceived. Joffrey is a symptom, not the problem.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
He's not going to win any awards for his writing any time soon...
You probably meant that in a figurative sense, but...

1975 Hugo Award for Best Novella for "A Song for Lya"
1980 Hugo Award for Best Novelette for "Sandkings"
1980 Nebula Award for Best Novelette for "Sandkings" (This is on the only Martin's story to win both a Hugo and a Nebula.)
1980 Hugo Award for Best Short Story for "The Way of Cross and Dragon"
1986 Nebula Award for Best Novelette for "Portraits of His Children"
1988 Bram Stoker Award for Long Fiction for "The Pear-Shaped Man"
1989 World Fantasy Award for Best Novella for "The Skin Trade"
1997 Hugo Award for Best Novella for "Blood of the Dragon"
2003 Premio Ignotus for Best Foreign Novel for A Game of Thrones
2004 Premio Ignotus for Best Foreign Novel for A Clash of Kings
2003 Locus Poll Award for Best Fantasy Novel for A Storm of Swords
2006 Premio Ignotus for Best Foreign Novel for A Storm of Swords
2011 Locus Poll Award for Best Original Anthology for Warriors (co-edited with Gardner Dozois)
Declared by Time Magazine "One of the Most Influential People of 2011"[3]
2012 Locus Poll Award for Best Fantasy Novel for A Dance with Dragons
2012 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form for Game of Thrones Season 1 (Co-Executive Producer of the HBO series)
2012 World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement
2013 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form for Game of Thrones , Season 2, Episode 9, "Blackwater" (Screenwriter)

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
That whole wedding was the most amazingly awkward thing I've seen on TV in a while. All the families hate each other, most of them only bothering to hide it by the most tiny amount, and Joffery was... well, Joffery, to the very end.

I'm just glad we get to see so much more of Oberyn. He was a fun minor-character from the books, and they nailed him so well in the show. Just, going around, being the Red Viper, on vacation with his paramour, waiting for the chance to get his revenge while generally giving few fucks in the meantime. I can't wait to see how they handle his daughters. Now *they* ought to be fun to watch.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Lyiat said:
It's called the Purple Wedding because Purple is the color of royalty. No further questions are needed on the subject.
In the real world it is... In the GoT world the colour of royalty is whatever colours the house on the throne uses. For the Baratheons it should be gold and black but since the Lannisters are egotistical and very unsubtle at hiding the fact that Joffrey is a bastard, they used the Lannister crimson and gold instead. I can't remember a single instance of the colour purple being associated with royalty within the ASOIAF universe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The purple wedding is called the purple wedding for 2-3 reasons

1. Joffrey's face literally turned purple as he choked to death
The gems in Sansa's hairnet in the book were purple and they are what poisoned Joffrey
3. The wine, once poisoned turned from red to a dark purple as observed by Tyrion in the books

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
Loved it. Though now I'm looking forward to the slow reveal and the downfall of a few choice characters...

Vault101 said:
well I guess thats good since theyre're long and picking up a doorstopper high fantasy is pretty intimidating
Might sound silly, but I found reading them on my tablet was less intimidating as I couldn't actually see the size of the book... I don't know how that works but I got more engaged in the story and less worried about how much was left to read.
My e reader keeps track if how many pages to go...and if its a purchased book it will tell me how many hours I have left...it would be I retesting to turn off the page numbers...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Zhukov said:
The show finally got to that bit, eh?

I'm just thankful I won't have to listen to the illiterate screen beans prattling on about, "OMG, Joffrey is soooo evil, #roastjoffrey lololol!"
Lord and master, teach me how to read tomes of arcane lettering, so that I may rise from the rank of screen bean and read a book series that before the TV show was reasonably obscure!

Furthermore, screen bean, is that even vaguely offensive to anyone? Help me out here folks, I'm not even sure what the fuck a screen bean is.

Asclepion said:
A_suspicious_cabbage said:
Dueling Joffrey again would be a culmination of both of their arcs up to this point. We get a much more direct narrative link- Joffrey suffers for his cruelty by the blade of someone he fought years ago and lashed out against. He would be just as responsible, but we would also see how his opponent has changed. It would be a parallel battle, the stakes far more dire.

Joffrey being poisoned may certainly be a catalyst, but it comes so suddenly that we are left without buildup and dramatic tension that him meeting Arya again would have given us.
I havent read the books, but it would feel far to cliche, and GoT doesn't seem to be into that, it pulls the rug out from under you then strangles you with it.

Furthermore, the idea of a mirror duel usually has the purpose of showing how much the protagonist has grown or improved, the rematch by necessity would be because the Hero lost the first time.

Arya already mopped the floor with Joffrey once, who is afterall, a massive coward, almost completely incapable of fighting in military campaigns or single combat, as demonstrated by the Battle of the Blackwater; where he shit his pants and ran off to his mother, or single combat, where he had his arse kicked by an 11 year old girl. At this point, Arya has already killed several people, has improved her swordplay somewhat, has great big swinging bollocks compared to Joffrey and would've effortlessly cut Joffrey down without breaking a sweat, were they to meet again. Arya stabbing that dude through the throat last episode thematically served the same purpose a duel with Joffrey would've done.

It's not like Luke and Vader, where Vader clearly had the upper hand in the first fight, heck vader still had a bit of an upper hand in the second fight. But either way they where still epic battles, with both combatants being highly skilled. You wouldn't get that with Arya vs Joffrey, she would've just effortlessly dodged some feeble attempt at sword play and stabbed him in the throat, jobs a goodun and they all went home for tea and crumpets.

I felt the tension between Tyrion and Joffrey was absoloutely palpable myself, I was even expecting Sansa to snap and randomly stab him at the wedding. And like someone else said, it's thematically apt that he die of poison in such...a gruesome fashion, for being such a venomous person.

OT: The only thing is, is the new villians are clearly supposed to be the Boltons, but y'know what? I fucking like Ramsay Bolton, he's fucking insane, but he pulls his evil off with such a comical, gleeful deliciousness that I enjoy every scene he's in. "Oh no, Pork Sausage, you think I'm some sort of savage?" Maybe him and The Joker could team up in some sort of mayhem rampage tag team duo. I'm glad Simon from Misfits got some more work, he could do well from this.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
SKBPinkie said:
It looked appropriately painful. So I liked that.

Joffrey has no redeeming characteristics in his person, admittedly, but there are mitigating factors to viewing him as black-and-white.

He's thirteen years old, after all, with an incredibly unhealthy dynamic between his parents (those who raised him, anyway). As a younger kid, he's the subject of both abuse from his famous father and overbearing protectiveness from his mother in almost equal measure. Then he's given ultimate power.

So, he's incredibly evil, undeniably, but he's not exactly somebody who was ever given a chance of developing normally or healthily.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
elvor0 said:
Zhukov said:
The show finally got to that bit, eh?

I'm just thankful I won't have to listen to the illiterate screen beans prattling on about, "OMG, Joffrey is soooo evil, #roastjoffrey lololol!"
Lord and master, teach me how to read tomes of arcane lettering, so that I may rise from the rank of screen bean and read a book series that before the TV show was reasonably obscure!

Furthermore, screen bean, is that even vaguely offensive to anyone? Help me out here folks, I'm not even sure what the fuck a screen bean is.
A screen bean is someone who watches a lot of TV. And no, it's not particularly insulting.

I was not being entirely serious. Especially given that the show was into it's third season when I started reading the books. (Although I hadn't watched it.)

The constant prattling about Joffrey did get very annoying very fast though. Genuinely glad I won't have to hear more of it.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Clapped in glee, well close to it anyway.

Nobody tells off Sigur Ros and commands them to leave and lives to tell about it. Nobody.
This right here. If it wasn't for the overwhelming evidence that Grandma Tyrell was the one that poisoned him (which would be a slight change from the books), I would say they did it =p

I thought the dwarf scene was funny and appreciated the change from the book (what can I say, I am a tasteless bastard), but the genius is that it works even if you don't have the deranged sense of humor I do - you can just be disgusted at Joff even more.

Kyrian007 said:
(Note: I don't watch the show. Unless they start deviating from the books in a more significant manner I don't see the point of paying for HBO to see a show that's showing me nothing I didn't already read a decade ago.)
Most of the people who watch the show don't pay for HBO. It's the most pirated show in existence, take from that what you will. I myself buy the DVDs and watch it at friends' houses. While it's not a perfect adaptation, it's some of the best TV out there and you really do owe it to yourself to check it out at some point.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
As someone who read the books, I didn't really care. Reading about it was a little moment of happiness but since I didn't hate or like the scumbag, I sorta just passed it by.

squeekenator

Dec 23, 2008
Simskiller said:
Anyways, I'm not watching season 4 till I catch up and finish book 3, knew joffery's death was coming, didn't think it would be so soon though, thought it would be a end of season/book thing.
It was an end of book thing. Book 3 was split into two seasons, season 3 was a bit more than half and season 4 is the rest. So it wouldn't make much sense to have a nice relaxing lead in to all the action in season 4.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
MisterGobbles said:
Kyrian007 said:
(Note: I don't watch the show. Unless they start deviating from the books in a more significant manner I don't see the point of paying for HBO to see a show that's showing me nothing I didn't already read a decade ago.)
Most of the people who watch the show don't pay for HBO. It's the most pirated show in existence, take from that what you will. I myself buy the DVDs and watch it at friends' houses. While it's not a perfect adaptation, it's some of the best TV out there and you really do owe it to yourself to check it out at some point.
Maybe sometime. I've seen clips and such on tv and it looks good, but the idea of watching a show where I always know what's going to happen next... doesn't really interest me. Now if they go off the rail, and start to deviate from the story I'll be all over it. I really liked Legend of the Seeker on TV, it was obviously of way lower quality but it began deviating from the source material early on, and really just got better and better the further from the storyline of the books that it got. It gave me a reason to keep watching, so far AGoT has given me none. Maybe someday if it shows up on a streaming service I subscribe to.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
You don't know how long I was waiting for this to happen and the wait was worth it, it was just satisfying, respect to Jack Gleeson, amazing actor, it's a shame he said he's quitting acting after GoT.
Can't blame him really, he has received a lot of abuse from idiots that can't separate fiction from reality, shame to be honest because he's a bloody good actor.