Poll: Well how did you feel about the Purple Wedding (GoT Spoilers)

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I knew it was coming but oh man I still grinned the whole time like a fool. The make up and acting really made it looked painful and for that I'm grateful to the show creators and Jack Gleeson, cause damn did he play a very unlikable bastard. Couldn't imagine anyone else doing Joffrey as good as he did.

Also glad it happened in the 2nd episode and we didn't have some filler episode or two before we got to it. This season is shaping up very nicely

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Ickorus said:
Can't blame him really, he has received a lot of abuse from idiots that can't separate fiction from reality, shame to be honest because he's a bloody good actor.
He's not giving up acting because some idiots can't seperate fiction from reality. He does it because he doesn't like the current glorification of celebrities.
I saw a video of him talking about the show once. As you probably know, his other well known role was in Batman begins as that boy. He said that after that movie, him being "the boy form batman begins" was sort of an inside joke from his friends. After all he wasn't really famous yet or anything. But when he started on Game of Thrones and it became this huge thing and he became famous, he noticed people treating him nicer and generally acting different around him. And he didn't like that. He doesn't like being treated as important, just because he can act and that's why he doesn't want to act anymore. It's kind of hilarious because it just shows how his actual character is the exact opposite of Joffreys character.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I felt the same way about it as I did Viserys Targaryen's death. I mean they were both evil assholes and I know they kind of deserve it but I just felt kind of empty when it happened, not happy. I actually felt kind of sorry for them dying in such slow and horrible ways. I felt really sorry for his parents, they sat there helpless as their son dies in their arms. Their son was a total dick but still, it would be awful for them. Shame Jack Gleeson is retiring from acting, he is very talented.

Also I agree with the comment on the first page about 'diet' spoilers also being annoying. I heard people mention the 'purple wedding' and knew Joffery was getting married, I figured it would be similar to the Red Wedding except with him. Then my brother put up on facebook that the latest episode of Game of Thrones made his day. It wasn't hard to put 2+2 together and figure out considering the nature of the show that Joffery or someone else that isn't well liked would die. That kind of spoiled it on me and dampened the impact somewhat. Still better than Ned Stark where I was just flat out told he dies before I even started watching the show.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
I have read the books and I hate Joffrey, but I actually found it much more satisfying in the books. It is hard to find much pleasure in watching a boy choke to death, even if he is an evil brat.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Was waiting for him to tear his own throat out, was disappointed.
ForumSafari said:
The_Scrivener said:
I'm so tired of Diet Spoilers.
Realistically I'm incredibly amused by people that are getting angry at "spoilers" for a story that was written a decade ago. There's a limit on how long you can call something a spoiler and I think over ten years is pushing it.
Personally I think that line of thinking is tripe. Ten years, nine years, ninety years, it doesn't really matter. It's still a spoiler. Just tag the spoiler and move on, which this thread did so I'm really not sure why he even entered this thread lol.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Much like when Rob Stark was killed (spoilers), I felt very underwhelmed. I keep expecting a huge drawn out scene in front of a crowd with blood and screaming and horror... like when Ned Stark was killed (spoilers). But we keep getting these more restrained and private affairs. And in this case, what felt like a scene from scooby fucking doo, where they try to set up three or four people as 'possible killers' in the area by flicking the camera around like a gerbil on meth. All in all, I think it was one of the more poorly filmed sections in this series. That said given the amazing standards of GOT, it's still miles better than any of it's competition.

So no, I wasn't wowed or amazed or even really relieved by the episode. I just felt like it could have been bigger, like a scene where not just a couple of people are getting closure over his death, but the community getting closure over his death and the end of his reign. Because that's what we needed, closure for the community of fans, because I don't think anyone really watches GOT alone.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Oh they are up to that bit.

I'm probably a weird person for feeling sorry for Cersei (and I guess Jamie but he wasn't there at time in the books and seem less attached to him) during that scene when everyone else is cheering at it. I mean, fuck 'em both and he deserved it but even still watching your kid die in such an awful way. Ouch.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I felt like it was a bit of a shame since I quite liked Joffrey as a character. He was always good for a laugh. It's hard to feel empathy for any of the characters in Game of Thrones, so the kind of morbid fascination that characters like him provide is the closest I get to feeling anything watching it.

Truth be told, I never quite understood why Joffrey's considered to be the series' biggest hate sink, since there are other characters that are more horrible and despicable than him. Crastor, Walder Frey, Melissandre, & the Boltons to name a few. I'd even go so far as to say Cersei is worse, since so many of her actions are just petty and spiteful.

On that note, has anyone watched the reaction videos yet? Am I the only one who found that kind of distrubing? It's just a bunch of people laughing and cheering at footage of a young man choking to death. I know you didn't like him much guys, but Jesus Christ...

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Nouw said:
Personally I think that line of thinking is tripe. Ten years, nine years, ninety years, it doesn't really matter. It's still a spoiler. Just tag the spoiler and move on, which this thread did so I'm really not sure why he even entered this thread lol.
Would you tag that
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father?

Or how about that
Ebeneezar Scrooge changes his ways and Tiny Tim lives?

Or how about that
Macbeth is killed by a man that was born with medical intervention?

At some point a spoiler stops being a spoiler and becomes something you really ought to have seen and that it's reasonable to assume you have. Everything is a spoiler if you know nothing but realistically you wouldn't find the act of posting that
Jesus rises from the dead and ascends to Heaven, leaving his disciples to spread the gospel
to be rude or inappropriate, you'd assume anyone that didn't know was odd.

Well by that same token I view Game of Thrones as being in that group. The show is in its' third season and the books have been pushed heavily since the first. George R. R. Martin is not by any means a fast writer so everyone should already know what happens. It's the same as "spoilers" about the Hobbit, I have no problem discussing the Hobbit because realistically there shouldn't be an adult, at least in the UK, that hasn't read it at some point.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
ForumSafari said:
Nouw said:
Would you tag that

Or how about that

Or how about that

At some point a spoiler stops being a spoiler and becomes something you really ought to have seen and that it's reasonable to assume you have. Everything is a spoiler if you know nothing but realistically you wouldn't find the act of posting that
Jesus rises from the dead and ascends to Heaven, leaving his disciples to spread the gospel

Well by that same token I view Game of Thrones as being in that group. The show is in its' third season and the books have been pushed heavily since the first. George R. R. Martin is not by any means a fast writer so everyone should already know what happens. It's the same as "spoilers" about the Hobbit, I have no problem discussing the Hobbit because realistically there shouldn't be an adult, at least in the UK, that hasn't read it at some point.
Thing is you know not everyone has read the books, there is whole new audience into it now because of the tv series that won't necessary read the books, it doesn't air everywhere at the same time and people can't/don't always watch it when it dose. It's also not as much of a icon as star wars is and your unlikely to come across someone currently reading Macbeth. Be a little bit considerate.

People do get annoyed if you post spoilers from the hobbit besides the very obvious ones. Like
Fili, Kili and Thorins death is a spoiler for many

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
DementedSheep said:
Thing is you know not everyone has read the books, there is whole new audience into it now because of the tv series that won't necessary read the books, it doesn't air everywhere at the same time and people can't/don't always watch it when it dose. It's also not as much of a icon as star wars is and your unlikely to come across someone currently reading Macbeth. Be a little bit considerate.
I am considerate, I don't spoil shit online. What i think is a bit rich is complaining about 'spoilers' that are sold in the millions, in hardback and paperback in every bookshop across the nation for ten years.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
ForumSafari said:
DementedSheep said:
I am considerate, I don't spoil shit online. What i think is a bit rich is complaining about 'spoilers' that are sold in the millions, in hardback and paperback in every bookshop across the nation for ten years.
I don't think that Game of thrones has anywhere near the cultural penetration of Macbeth or Star Wars, a significant portion of the TV audience don't know what's going to happen and I think the story is best experienced that way.

Even with Macbeth and Star Wars I wouldn't spoil it unnecessarily, if you can go into The Empire Strikes Back without knowing the big twist then great (good fucking luck though!)

As far as these forums go it's fair to assume that everyone on here is up to date TV show wise but I wouldn't put in unmarked spoilers for ANYTHING after the Purple Wedding.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
ForumSafari said:
Nouw said:
Would you tag that

Or how about that

Or how about that

I don't think it's fair to compare Game of Thrones to Star Wars or the Bible but that's another discussion. The thing is, it's still unfair to expect everyone to have this pop culture knowledge. Who decides what everyone 'should' know by now? I didn't know about Scrooge or Macbeth, and there are countless other classics I haven't gotten around to yet. 1984, The Great Gatsby, Citizen Kane and etc etc. I genuinely don't believe it's reasonable to assume someone has seen, read or experienced everything you have no matter how popular you may think it is. Having said that, just use discretion which this thread did. It clearly says 'spoilers' in the title.

PsychoticHamster

May 16, 2013
It was satisfying I suppose, but interestingly enough the way Joffrey is portrayed in the books makes him much less likable than the way Jack Gleeson plays him, so I actually found myself feeling a little bad especially since his death is quite violent when you think about it. Joffrey is one of those characters that when you view them in hindsight, you become more sympathetic to him. His "dad" was a drunk asshole that never really liked him and he had an overbearing mother who probably has a mental illness.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
delta4062 said:
bibblles said:
Much like when Rob Stark was killed (spoilers), I felt very underwhelmed. I keep expecting a huge drawn out scene in front of a crowd with blood and screaming and horror... like when Ned Stark was killed (spoilers). But we keep getting these more restrained and private affairs. And in this case, what felt like a scene from scooby fucking doo, where they try to set up three or four people as 'possible killers' in the area by flicking the camera around like a gerbil on meth. All in all, I think it was one of the more poorly filmed sections in this series. That said given the amazing standards of GOT, it's still miles better than any of it's competition.

So no, I wasn't wowed or amazed or even really relieved by the episode. I just felt like it could have been bigger, like a scene where not just a couple of people are getting closure over his death, but the community getting closure over his death and the end of his reign. Because that's what we needed, closure for the community of fans, because I don't think anyone really watches GOT alone.
Where in the hell is the logic behind putting spoilers after you've said the spoiler?
It's sarcasm. This whole fucking thread is spoiler town. If anyone came into this thread not expecting spoilers they are out of their mind (see thread title.