Poll: Well, RWBY volume 2 trailer is out, Time to start talking

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
1,460
0
0
Okay, the trailer didn't actually give me as much of a reaction as I expected given my past recorded hate of the show. The action looks more like the Freelancer scenes and there isn't a big anime like Kill La Kill hanging over the fanbase so lets do a rundown

Okay, pale man with Japanese like facial features talking with the headmaster about "shows of power", arms accumulation maybe

And the Headmaster officially tempts fate by saying he hopes "they" (the students) never have to fight a war

Blake is starting to panic about Torchwick's plan saying that they may never be ready (and the count for cliche lines goes up to two)

Oh look, a dance and Pyrrha is sad. guess what will happen next

Suiting up montage leading to JNPR on top of a giant barricade in the meal room? What the hell?

Pale Japanese looking man showing off a new line of robots with them kicking the old models. I,ROBOT ANYONE?

A giant mech, the white fang and torchwick have a giant, mechwarrior style mech at their disposal. HOW ON EARTH DO A BUNCH Of TERRORISTS MAKE A MECH

Penny seems to be a target of sorts and oh look, Yang popping up in the club she wreaked in the Yellow trailer like nothing happened

Why are two of Cinder's comrades fighting a werewolf in a bookstore? is there something there that is needed?

Mech rolling down the highway leading to Freelancer Highway fight scene in season 9 of RvB

A rooftop chase of a mech.... Monty, if you are going to emulate anime, please don't be as blatant as to steal part of the Atack on Titan opening.

When did Blake start being able to create shockwaves with her weapons?

Motorcycle part of highway fight only with a railgun?

and Ruby is holding Weiss like in the Crisis on Infinite Earths cover, goody

We also have a date for when we can watch online, July 24

Okay, my thoughts, despite my nitpicking of the trailer and against my better judgement, I am actually looking forward to it. Action seems to be a bit more present and the characters have smoother edges and less awkward motions. Hopefully, the school stuff is toned way down and that we actually have some character development; I do not want a repeat of Weiss's roller coaster development again.
 

CrazyBlaze

New member
Jul 12, 2011
945
0
0
Meh. I didn't really like the first season and well the trailer looks decent it doesn't make me want to see it badly. And honestly I'm still finding Monty's action way too floaty. Everything I have seen from him never seems to have a very good sense of weight, and well that makes for some interesting action scenes every now and then I just don't find them enjoyable in the long run. That and the guy sucks at story telling. Choreography, great. Animation, pretty good. Story, not so much.
 

Zak757

New member
Oct 12, 2013
227
0
0
I love writing several paragraphs about my thoughts on RWBY, only to vote before I post, and realize this forum has zero draft saving functions. Ugh, I'm not writing it all again.

Short version: Rooster Teeth bit off way more than they can chew with RWBY, and as a result, it had some fairly major flaws that cannot be justified by them having a small amateur development team working on a shoestring budget. I dropped it at episode 13 despite really wanting to like it, and I did like a lot of stuff about it on a very superficial level. The fact that Monty said that the amount of characters we saw in volume 1 was "the tip of the iceburg" is the main reason I am feeling a little pessimistic, because lack of focus on any character or conflict was the main issue with RWBY for me. You cannot have 3 major conflicts and 3 four-man teams and have time to flesh out anything when your episodes are 5 minutes long.

I'll probably watch it anyway, because it's only 5 minutes out of my day per week and cute girls kicking lots of ass is the easiest way to get me to watch something.
 

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
2,862
0
0
Still hyped. I loved the first volume despite its flaws and it looks like it's only going to get better from here. I'm a little concerned there may be a few too many characters overcrowding, but all in all I think that trailer was fantastic. Can't wait to see Pyrrha beat up Cardin :D
 

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
1,460
0
0
Zak757 said:
I love writing several paragraphs about my thoughts on RWBY, only to vote before I post, and realize this forum has zero draft saving functions. Ugh, I'm not writing it all again.

Short version: Rooster Teeth bit off way more than they can chew with RWBY, and as a result, it had some fairly major flaws that cannot be justified by them having a small amateur development team working on a shoestring budget. I dropped it at episode 13 despite really wanting to like it, and I did like a lot of stuff about it on a very superficial level. The fact that Monty said that the amount of characters we saw in volume 1 was "the tip of the iceburg" is the main reason I am feeling a little pessimistic, because lack of focus on any character or conflict was the main issue with RWBY for me. You cannot have 3 major conflicts and 3 four-man teams and have time to flesh out anything when your episodes are 5 minutes long.

I'll probably watch it anyway, because it's only 5 minutes out of my day per week and cute girls kicking lots of ass is the easiest way to get me to watch something.
I agree with the last statement; it's such a minimal investment that even if it sucks, we really don't lose anything.

I would recommend watching the last two episodes of season 1 as they actually have some major plat points that will carry over.

My one big issue is the fact that I'm concerned if Monty will just give me stuff I've seen before. I've really stated that Penny has Nu-13's combat style and mannerisms, Yang seems a bit like bullet, and other styles such as Weiss's and Blake's just seem a bit too familiar to me. I already stated that segments of the trailer seem similar to established anime or some of Monty's other work so I'm worried if other characters from fighters show up; I mean, I joked that Jin Kisaragi and Ragna the Bloodedge will show up but given how some of the series seems iterative or an imitation, I'm concerned it will happen.
 

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
1,460
0
0
CrazyBlaze said:
Meh. I didn't really like the first season and well the trailer looks decent it doesn't make me want to see it badly. And honestly I'm still finding Monty's action way too floaty. Everything I have seen from him never seems to have a very good sense of weight, and well that makes for some interesting action scenes every now and then I just don't find them enjoyable in the long run. That and the guy sucks at story telling. Choreography, great. Animation, pretty good. Story, not so much.
So what about shows like Dragonball Z or Kill la Kill? Do you find them floaty in their action and if so, why do people not get tired of them and if not, why are they less floaty despite the crazy on screen.

I will agree with Monty and him needing to stay out of story. RWBY volume 1 felt way too slice-of-life for a show that is supposed to be action based and the characters were just tropes played straight with no variation or meaningful conflict.
 

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,274
247
68
As much as the first volume was just... Eugh at times (Especially the animation. The trailer set a really high standard, and the animations looked really really short-cut in the finished product) I will always look forward to more RWBY. I haven't even watched the trailer. I like the concept. I like the characters. I already like RWBY enough.

[After watching the trailer]

Yeah, PUMPED, still! The only thing I ask, Rooster Teeth... Make the episodes longer than 5 FREAKIN MINUTES! 10 would be fine! More than enough! 5 just... sucks! Way too short for anything interesting to really happen in any given episode, and that was my second biggest flaw with the show before, the animation being the first. Don't get me wrong, when it looked great, it looked bloody great. But there was floaty walking animations, stiff motions, etc, that really took me out of it at times.

Seeing this trailer gives me hope it'll be a lot better though. Make it better, RT. I already really like what you've got going so far. Follow through~
 

mitchell271

New member
Sep 3, 2010
1,457
0
0
Izanagi009 said:
I agree with the last statement; it's such a minimal investment that even if it sucks, we really don't lose anything.

I would recommend watching the last two episodes of season 1 as they actually have some major plat points that will carry over.

My one big issue is the fact that I'm concerned if Monty will just give me stuff I've seen before. I've really stated that Penny has Nu-13's combat style and mannerisms, Yang seems a bit like bullet, and other styles such as Weiss's and Blake's just seem a bit too familiar to me. I already stated that segments of the trailer seem similar to established anime or some of Monty's other work so I'm worried if other characters from fighters show up; I mean, I joked that Jin Kisaragi and Ragna the Bloodedge will show up but given how some of the series seems iterative or an imitation, I'm concerned it will happen.
That'd be kind of cool, if halfway through it was retitled to "BlazBlue: The anime version that isn't boring as hell". And I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought Penny is Nu-13, even with the floating swords coming out of her back.

OT: Season 1 had some huge mistakes, ranging from voice acting choices to story and dialogue but the action was well done, but it wasn't the antichrist of animation that some people claimed it to be. Season 2 has some potential, but someone needs to tell the writers when something is stupid. Remember that piece of shit bully arc?
 

MrMan999

New member
Oct 25, 2011
228
0
0
I'm still kind of baffled that RWBY actually exists. Rooster Teeth, the creators of Red vs Blue, going into the anime market.

While I liked the first season, I really think it could have used another month or two of polishing before it was released to the public.
 

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
2,862
0
0
Elvis Starburst said:
Yeah, PUMPED, still! The only thing I ask, Rooster Teeth... Make the episodes longer than 5 FREAKIN MINUTES! 10 would be fine!
All the episodes this season are going to be at least 10 minutes (pretty sure I heard 12 somewhere). There will be only 12 episodes as a result but I think the change will be for the better.
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
Is the voice acting still painful?

*watch*

Hm. Merely amateurish. Well, that's an improvement I suppose.
 

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,274
247
68
Drummodino said:
Elvis Starburst said:
Yeah, PUMPED, still! The only thing I ask, Rooster Teeth... Make the episodes longer than 5 FREAKIN MINUTES! 10 would be fine!
All the episodes this season are going to be at least 10 minutes (pretty sure I heard 12 somewhere). There will be only 12 episodes as a result but I think the change will be for the better.
Glad to hear it!
 

Tiamattt

New member
Jul 15, 2011
557
0
0
Meh for the most part. The 1st season wasn't terrible but outside of 1 good episode overall it's not doing much for me. I'm willing to stick with it since there is potential here(not that it's costing me anything :p) and there is hope that they've gained some valuable experience from their rocky freshman season.
 

Redryhno

New member
Jul 25, 2011
3,077
0
0
The world they've built is good as far as I'm concerned, but I think a huge problem is what alot of anime that just has a vague overarching story and so bring in multiple characters that really don't have any right to be in the spotlight due to barely paying attention to the characters they've already introduced and basically dropped.(Ren and Nora specifically, even though I dislike Nora)

As far as I'm concerned, Penny and Violet have no business being anything but background characters at this point in the story, hell, we barely know much of anything about half of Team JNPR and RWBY, and THOSE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OUR MAIN CHARACTERS. But from what we've seen so far in the last few months, they're being introduced as more than that, and it annoys me. You have a good range of characters and personalities in the normal 8, with Cardin and minions making up the assholes as it is. Adding in more antagonists doesn't help your story, that's something every series should know by now, but here we are making the same mistake again.

That said, the fight scenes are good, but I think a large part of what people are talking about when they say there's no weight has to have alot to do with the fact that their sound is really shit. The soundtrack is nice, but repetitive, and outside of the weapon noises, they don't have much holding it together well.
 

Zak757

New member
Oct 12, 2013
227
0
0
Elvis Starburst said:
Yeah, PUMPED, still! The only thing I ask, Rooster Teeth... Make the episodes longer than 5 FREAKIN MINUTES! 10 would be fine! More than enough! 5 just... sucks!
Monty and a lot of the team were working 18 hour days and sleeping at the studio to bring you 5 minutes per week. Which is part of why I said that they've bitten off more than they can chew.

Although maybe they've got a bigger team and new development techniques this time around?
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
Animation look better.
First time seeing Blake panicing over something when she was given a clam posture last season (well until the last two episodes).
Cinder look hot and I so want to see Emerald and Mercury (the fandom designated name to Cinder other two comrade).
A ballroom dance scene? I guess it's more fuel for Jaune/ Pyrrha shipping (I never get why Pyrrha is interested toward him).
Foreshadowing of war?
A school rebellation scene (the table fort at ta the messhall)?
Anyway notice the blond dude at the White Fang crowd and their plan involved a big mech?
Cool Mercury got feet version of Yang guanlet.
I liking Yany attire in the nightclub scene.
Grim in the city.
Prryha vs Cardin.
One of Sun Wukong friend (from the intro) behind Yang motocyle and his weapon is a gun that turn into a larger gun?
Typical holding the fallen hero scene.


Overall I am hyped it for it especially the only thing I got to watched on a Wednesday is ZP and Feeddump.
 

Candidus

New member
Dec 17, 2009
1,095
0
0
I tried to watch an episode of the first season on CR, but the voice acting was hideous. Hideous. Hideous. And bad.

So safe to say I'm indifferent to the coming of a second series.
 

Sparky184

New member
Dec 23, 2010
71
0
0
While my biggest problem with S1, the animation, looks to be improved, the voice acting still mostly sucks (Blake especially in this trailer) and I'm still not a massive fan of the school setting. The sooner they get out of that the better. I still feel disappointed from the original character reveal trailers. They promised something completely different than they delivered. All the trailers showed off the bad ass fighting and a lot of different locations, then we ended up getting a show set 95% in a school, that is three quarters clichéd school drama with a fight once in a blue moon, if you're lucky. I love Rooster Teeth and the whole team behind Rwby, I really do, but I can't help but be massively disappointed with S1. I'll remain cautiously optimistic until it comes out.
 

EMWISE94

New member
Aug 22, 2013
191
0
0
Normally this would be where I say that the trailers show off some action of whats to come so it'll be good I guess, then I remember the first RWBY trailers and how the lied so hard about the show to some degree. So yeah, I'm not exactly holding my breath on this season being any better than the first, still gonna watch it, someone may have smacked Monty on the head and told him to stop cramming in the schoolyard bullshit... animation still looks stiff as all hell though, but like I said, we'll see how this pans out.

As much as I rag on it, I truly feel RWBY has tons of potential to be a god show.
 

sextus the crazy

New member
Oct 15, 2011
2,348
0
0
The action scenes, when they happened, were pretty cool, but otherwise, the show just isn't very good. the faux-anime feel of the show clashes with the animation style that's being used and the story just isn't interesting or well-told. Monty does seem to be improving, but otherwise I don't expect much.