Poll: What can't you walk away from

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I look at it this way...

1. If I get into a fight, I'm probably gonna get my ass kicked.
2. If someone is hurting me, I'm going to assume their end goal is to kill me, so I'm not gonnna stop until their dead.

so basically I'm not gonna fight unless I'm cornered or it's a situation where I'm okay taking a human life... which I think is fair, even if I'm not that strong. one punch in the wrong area, or maybe the guy smacks his head on the floor when he drops or something and bam.

so....

Probably if anyone were to ever harm the younger members of my family, that is a possibility... cause lifes not fair, but I imagine being molested as a child is really really isn't fair. That's some catcher in the rye bullshit, but it's true.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
One thing that gets me over the edge immediatly is when when someone makes fun of anything LGBT related.

It did happen a few times that I basically blew up, which, as a mod, shouldn't be done. But I have a zero tollerance policy regarding that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
To me? No. I'm easy enough to offend, but my usual method of dealing with it is heavy on the flight in "Fight Or Flight".

Now, there's all kinds of things that you could say to other people (namely: family) that could easily turn me into an uncoordinated arm-and-legs windmill of indignation. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet. :D

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Overt bigotry. I don't care who it comes from, I don't care about the group, I won't ever stand for it.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
Being insulted to a point where a physical reply is warranted has not yet happened to me.
I'm pretty easy-going and not a pacifist, but there seems to be no need to punch someone over some words, even if they try their best.
A couple of things do help, autism filters most of the things out anyway and i'm big enough to make it clear that unscrewing a limb on the insulting person is a real option when it goes wrong (or terribly right).
Easy, cool, grounded, i like things that way, and the last decade it seems to radiate out a bit, and i like that.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Typically, I'm very hard to offend, and I remove myself if I can't keep my composure since I do have a bit of a temper.

But that's only if I'm really pushed, and at that point I will get in their face to tell them off.

The only physical altercation I've ever been in was in high school when I didn't have the best temper check and I punched a guy in his face and practically through him against a locker. See, some guy that it was be "funny" to make fun of me, and he did so for about two weeks or so. It wasn't until he went and grabbed me that I did that. Good thing was he left me alone after that.

So, that's a plus.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
When I was in high school I got into a few fights over words. These days I really just don't care what people say to me. I'd probably dish it back, but if there was going to be a fist fight I wouldn't be the one to initiate it.

I tend to get more protective of other people though. I've yelled at strangers in grocery stores for being rude to workers and such. If I heard something egregious enough or had somebody be even shittier after I called them on it then it might set me off.

Admittedly, if it was someone who looked genuinely dangerous I probably would keep my mouth shut. Shows what a tough guy I am.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I definitely have a button (topic) That would push me over into animal-like rage. However I'm smart enough not to tell anyone about it, so it can't ever be thrown back at me. :D

Having said that, I'm not good at being the better man even during lesser things. I have the habit of always wanting the last word, even when it starts looking pathetic.

I'm just a grump, really.

Jan 27, 2011
Over words, no. At least not as far as I know.

I didn't snap in high school despite nearly 5 years of nonstop torment at the hands of what felt like half the damn school (and the VP's nephew who got away with everything despite being definitely a literal psychopath).

I have a few things that make me go from cool as a cucumber to "waking the dragon" in 5 seconds flat, and makes me either post a 6 paragraph dissertation on why the person is a horrible human being, or makes me just go "fuck this shit I'm out" and leave the situation IRL if the person doubles down on their terrible opinion instead of going "oh...You might have a point".

But something that would make me actually snap? Words alone wouldn't be enough. It'd need to be an extreme case where the person is outright doing something monstrous.

Oct 2, 2012
I used have plenty of those. I was (and am) a very angry person. But years of therapy and counseling have really helped me get a grip on my outbursts and anger. So no, I don't think there is anything a person can say to me to get me to deck them or anything.
I still get very loud and yell when my buttons are pushed though.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I have become better at controlling myself but when I was a kid?
Pretty much anything, fortunately, I was both short and as thin as a stick so I was for the most part unable to harm people but I did get my ass kicked like 99.9% of the time, but I pretty much exploded at anything it was rare that there was a day that I didn't fight with anyone, it was either my brothers, my classmates or my neighbours but there was always someone I was mad at.

Nowadays, it's hard to say the last time I had a fist-fight was around 10 years ago but I would be lying if I said that I don't get mad anymore, sure I'm much harder to get a rise out now but it's not impossible, pretty much if I am in a bad mood and someone decides to provoke them, well I'm going to threaten them with death and scream a lot, which to be fair has only happened like 3 times in 10 years so it's not awful. But besides that, other things that get a rise out of me are criminals and cops, likely because I grew up on the not so good part of M?xico and I was well on my way to becoming a thief, but I changed my mind and became "good" and I wanted to be a cop but I was majorly disillusioned with the ones I met and the pretty cynical display of corruption they show, so if a cop stops us someone has to calm me down so I don't tell him to fuck off and well, the other ones I just can't stand them I've told some dealers to fuck off but I haven't punched any since I was a 15, and to be fair that guy was sexually harassing me by masturbating[footnote]Didn't punch him right then and there because, ugh.. Yuck but the next time he tried talking to me, that was another story.[/footnote] in front of me and telling me I was a pretty girl so I had like plenty of reason to punch him.
By the way with criminals I mostly mean petty thugs, know plenty of those the people that I know that are genuinely awful are in jail and I didn't find out until they ended there and I've never visited them but I've never taken their side.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Poetic Nova said:
One thing that gets me over the edge immediatly is when when someone makes fun of anything LGBT related.
Now I can't help but imagine you watching Modern Family and blowing your fuse every two minutes. Really, taken literally that would make you one of the most easily angered people on the planet.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
McElroy said:
Poetic Nova said:
Now I can't help but imagine you watching Modern Family and blowing your fuse every two minutes. Really, taken literally that would make you one of the most easily angered people on the planet.
Hate that show, as a matter of fact. it is unfunny bull.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, this is a much better thread than "is X offensive?". I try not to think on the things that offend me. The more I think about them, the more it pesters me. The more I am pestered, the more likely I'll overreact and possibly have consequences. The more consequences my overreaction brings, the more I think about what offended me in the first place. It's a shitty viscous cycle that's difficult to get out gracefully; so I prefer not to enter into it in the first place.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
I'll never be the first to throw a punch. I don't even think I've ever hit anyone like that. I'll tell people off, but I haven't really had to do that since junior high. So if there is something I can't walk away from, it's something I can't even imagine right now.

I mean really, I cannot imagine anything. Can someone give an example of something that'll take people over the edge? The only people I feel could really affect me like that would be my parents, but I'm not going to lash out at them. Nobody else matters that much, or knows me that well.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Zhukov said:
Well then, let it be known that I am the toughest man on the internet and if anyone talked shit to me... why, I would rain furious justice upon them with my mighty fists and Official Kung-Fu Army skills.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little *****? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little ?clever? comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

JK, I have 301 confirmed kills

EDIT for the mods:
Navy Seal CopyPasta, please don't ban me for threats. Not real (shockingly)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Probably nothing. I've found to my disappointment that I have far too much common sense to ever let my fists do the talking when I've been wronged. Maybe someday someone can talk me into drinking enough alcohol so that I can fly off the handle the next time someone tests me.

In all seriousness though. There's just no way a situation could end well if I chose to use my fists. Either I'd win the fight and get arrested, or I'd lose and go to the hospital, and then get arrested. Words are as far as i'm willing to go.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
A turtle flipped on its back, and open world RPGs.

In combat situations I'm more likely to dazzle with brute strength than use my fists. I'd toss a person away from me and if they get up rather than stare at me in stunned disbelief (usual result with larger individuals), then I result to fists.