Poll: What can't you walk away from

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Sonmi said:
Two things come to mind...

Any attempt to vilify Napoleon Bonaparte, or anyone calling the book version of Dany a "Mary Sue".

It never comes down to fisticuffs, but things can get pretty heated when either of those happen, especially the first one.
Napoleon was a dickhead and the Germans won in the end. It was justice. He was a wannabe Charlemagne and most undoubtedly a villain.

Book Dany is an incompetent ruler.

I'm not being ironic. Come at me.
I do not question the fact that Book Dany is incompetent, it's one of the things that make her a good character.

Napoleon losing was not justice, it was the result of plots by filthy regressive monarchists everywhere, a result of betrayal upon betrayal by opportunistic jackals, not to mention the intervention of Britain who simply has to fuck Europe up whenever its trade supremacy might be jeopardized. (Same reason why Germany was not properly neutered post WW2, the Brits feared it would give the French and the Russians too much regional power)

Bonaparte was a hero and a visionary, slandered in the public consciousness through years of royalist rosbif propaganda, he's the saviour Europe needed, but that the elite eventually teamed up on due to the threat his mere existence posed to them.

I'll concede that he was in the wrong in the way he handled Spain though. And reinstoring slavery in the Antilles was a dick move as well. Not to mention he was extremely guilty of nepotism in the way he handled who ruled his kingdoms.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
Sonmi said:

Any attempt to vilify Napoleon Bonaparte, or anyone calling the book version of Dany a "Mary Sue".

It never comes down to fisticuffs, but things can get pretty heated when either of those happen, especially the first one.
I've heard Wellington get a lot of flak, and I personally admire Ney more. Why Napoleon in particular?

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
talker said:
Sonmi said:

I've heard Wellington get a lot of flak, and I personally admire Ney more. Why Napoleon in particular?
Wellington and Ney don't even get a fraction of the bullshit lobbed at Napoleon.

I need to specify that my admiration for Napoleon is more for his role as a marvelous statesman than his nigh unmatched talent as a general. He took everything that was good in the French Revolution but went too far, and reined it in sufficiently to bring the nation back on its feet while every single European superpower was gunning to take him down.

If anyone deserves the title of ubermensch, it's Napoleon.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Talking shit about my hair

but otherwise, no. Never been in a fight, don't hope to be.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Say what? I'd be interested to see just what it is someone could say that would get me angry enough to care. Call me whatever. Liken me to dirt or the dirtiest mother-fucking swine, I'll probably just be more interested than angry to hear it.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
It'd be hard for some random person on the street to push my buttons hard enough for me to get physical. Most of the time I'm in my own world anyway, so words can't bother me sufficiently to stop and react.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
This isn't something people say, but whenever I see someone display a confederate flag, I get filled with a blazing hot anger like a thousands suns are exploding in my brain

I have enough restraint not to do anything about it in real life, but if I'm playing an online multiplayer game like Cod I and one of my teammates has a confederate flag avatar, I will always team kill them the maximum number of times I can before I get banned
Then my rage usually subsides a bit.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Self control is important.

If you consider yourself a mature functioning adult then you shouldn't have to resort to violence for anything short of somebody coming straight at you with a baseball bat.

It is easy enough to fight back with words and in my experience anyone who gets up in your face swearing and shouting with personal insults trying to get a reaction out of you will always come off looking worse.

As soon as you throw a punch though you've started a fight and while some people may understand your reasons why others will just dismiss you as thin skinned and weak( particularly if you're younger). Also you could end up getting hurt and someone who starts a fight and then gets their are kicked doesn't engender much sympathy or understanding from anyone.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Zhukov said:
A good pizza!

A pretty girl with good taste in books!
Chocolate at discount price!

Butts jiggling beneath loose shorts and dresses!

Energetic live jazz and funk music!

OT: In all seriousness, it's if someone declares themselves to be Spart...

Wrex Brogan said:
If someone else declares themselves Spartacus. NO, I'M SPARTACUS, NOT YOU DAMMIT!
SON OF A *****!!

IT'S ON NOW ************! YOU WANNA HAVE A GO, BRUH?! I'M SPARTACUS, WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!!

Ahem.

Okay, now I'm serious, honest. Gladly it's never happened and I'd like to keep it that way, but if someone starts harping on the fact that I'm in my mid 20s and never even held a girl's hand, I'll get upset quite fast. Thanks to internet anonymity I can just put that factoid out here, but IRL I'm very careful about who I share personal information on sensitive topics with. Bringing up relationships IRL with me is like landing a critical hit that's also super effective in pokemon, and I just shut down.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
There's not a damn thing I can't walk away from. But there's a difference between can't and won't and there's quite a few things I won't walk away from.