Poll: What color do you play? (A magic the gathering discussion)

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Seeing that the 2012 set is coming out I wanted to know who all plays magic here on the escapist, and if they do what color they play. Personally I like to play white decks as I tend to want to raise my life as high as I can. But I have grown fond of artifacts too.

Also wouldn't mind discussing deck ideas and strategies :)

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
Black with either Red or Blue as compliments. Back in the Shadowmoor set, I put together a red/black hybrid deck that my buddies STILL have trouble beating. It's extremely brutal and it doesn't let up.

BUT, I first got into magic with a swarm type rat deck that cost me WAY to much to build back around the Kamigawa sets.

Shakaar9267

Look at me, I'm burning.
Nov 30, 2009
On the poll I went with Black,
However In reality I play a Black/Green Elf deck.

It was the closest deck I could find that would be 'Drow Elf'.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Mostly black, but usually Black/White. Abyssal Persecutor plus Wrath of God is hilarious.

Also, any deck using an Ornithopter and Enduring Renewal is awesome.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
Anything but mono green. Seriously. Mono green is sooooo boring. My favorites are mono black vampires or blue / black zombies 'n' things.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
I never understood the appeal of Abyssal Persecutor. How do you play it that makes it good?

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I play whatever the hell deck my friends give me, i do not own one and have no intention to pay the money, but I usually do win. I like the concept of the game but I simply wouldnt go to tournys or play often enough to get my moneys worth.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
I play blue, but I find myself naturally based in white....

I tend more towards the w/g/u end of the spectrum - while I can and will draft anything I feel most comfortable towards that end of the pool. I'm not a great black player - I have one U/B deck I have about a dozen decks which are mostly U or W and a green deck, 2 artifact decks and a red dragon deck....

My pride and joy deck is mono blue, a mix of steal anything counter-spell the rest

Giantpanda602

Oct 16, 2010
Is Magic a good enough game that I would want to attempt to expose it to my friends so I would have somebody to play with?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Black and Blue decks tend to be my most competitive. I've got one that's based around forcing the enemy to draw, discard, and take damage for discarding, all while returning their permanents to their hand over and over. It's mean.

...but I tend to have more fun with green/white decks.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I haven't played in forever, but I have two decks: white and green.

They're sloppily put together honestly, but they're mine, so I love them. I've messed my friend's decks up with both of them so that's good.

CCCPIronCurtain

Jul 13, 2011
I have always found myself drawn to red decks. However, I have not played much since the Urza block, so I am sure much has changed. The idea of a lightning quick burn deck, or a hordes of goblins deck always make me happy to play.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Green cards. I had me a deck that could get up to ten land cards down in less then five turns, and then I would simply summon a really big beast to stomp my enemies.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
The one time I assembled a deck worth a damn, it was Black and White aggro, curving out with Ghost Council of Orzhova. This was Ravnica-era Standard, mind you.

Back before the rules change to combat damage stacking, the Council was a BEAST.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Galliam said:
I never understood the appeal of Abyssal Persecutor. How do you play it that makes it good?
Well, you could Donate it for some unexpected hilarity.

Blue in general, usually splashed with Black. My current "proper" deck is a milling controldeck, works pretty good. Counters, Orim's Chant, Darkness, Echoing Truth and Isochron Scepter make up most of the control, plenty of fetchcards to have the right weapon, and then Mind Funeral (and Haunting Echoes) mills them to death. It wins surprisingly often, as I've rarely played anyone with a way of getting around the milling and the control locks down pretty good. My Elf deck is the only one that beats it on a regular basis, and then only if the MillControl doesn't get Darkness or Echoing Truth early.

My mono-green Elf deck is pretty fun though, built around the hilarious combination Priest of Titania/Lys Alana Huntmaster/Slate of Ancestry/Coat of Arms. Play a few elves with Huntmaster in play, get Elf tokens, activate Slate (discard your hand, draw a number of cards equal to the number of creatures you control), use Priest of Titania to play everything you draw, repeat next turn. Unless it's stopped early it usually wins pretty quickly, but if it runs into a WoG or similar it's dead. A lot of fun to play though.

Was black for a long time, especially a Zombie deck mainly built around Soulless One, Undead Warchief and Loxodon Warhammer as the main threats. Bit slow and could have some manaproblems, but pretty good overall. Soulless One with Loxodon Warhammer in particular saw a lot of hate, though Unholy Grotto was also pretty unpopular, especially when I just recycled Gempalm Polluter in lategame.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Have been a lot of time. (I guess my cards are so old they aren't allowed anymore)

But i normaly play green/red. Massive monsters, spawning monster tokens, enhancements (bleachwood, YEAH) and some red for defense-dismantling and direct damage.

Works fine.

But i had (have) a few other decks.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I've always liked to play red best. It's a fast color and it's always a laugh when people play a card that's important to their strategy and you lightning bolt it before it effects the game.