Poll: What Did You Think of Sony's PS4 Event?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Is it download only? Used games? Backwards compatibility to ps3,2,1,psp,vita? Does it even eat disks at all for that matter?
Maybe if they jerked off a little less about how they'll "revolutionize gaming" by integrating video streaming and slapping a mini touchscreen on the controller or some shit and actually talked about things that matter, I'd be kindasorta interested.
Them making no mention of any of those topics at all only makes me assume the worst.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
AC10 said:
el_kabong said:
Afterthought: Why is everyone so obsessed that they didn't show the console itself? It could be vomit-brown and held together by duct tape for all I care (if it delivers on the promises listed above and doesn't fall apart).
Because it was press event specifically to announce the console and to give us information about the console. If they were just going to hold off until E3, why do this at all?

Also, some people do have space considerations in their living room. If it's a massive beat (like the original PS3) then they'd probably like to know.
Fair enough. I certainly know about space issues (my recording studio, practice space, office, bedroom, and living room are the same 10x10 room). I guess I'm assuming that it isn't going to be more than the size of desktop or an old VHS player. Sure, it's speculation, but I doubt it's going to be large enough that small accommodations won't allow it to fit in most living spaces.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Better than I expected. It's a logical step up from the PS3 and they threw in a few other things (like playing something while it's downloading, integrated streaming, that awesome Media Molecule thing) that take it higher, even if I probably won't use them.

It's too bad that two things are happening, though-

1. The community is already really damn cynical.

and

2. We're closing in on that asymptotic roof of development.

People expecting a massive leap between generations are a decade too late. Forever. So I'll take what I can get.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
I'm just going to be honest. I'm not a graphics whore so more power just means more going on on-screen to make games look more active. I have never played a motion game that I enjoyed for more than a few minutes at a time, and I hate facebook.

Can you guys just cancel this and mail me the parts to upgrade my PS3 so it'll play PS4 games? No ok then I'll probably buy one in 3-4 years after it comes out then.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Saulkar said:
As long as I can get a full experience out of the damn thing without having to keep the eye plugged in, can play used games, and a constant internet connection then I am game.
I hear ya that is my main concern as well. That and finally getting some local support back I hate that everything has to be online these days.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
If I'm honest, I'm quite impressed that they're releasing it THIS YEAR. Microsoft won't be nearly able to compete with that. However, that being said, the PS4 doesn't look like it's doing much new, or at least, not risky. I guess that's what you have to do when you're $4billion in debt.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i had 0 expectations. i didnt wait for the even or anything. therefore i was pleasantly surprised. so i rated it B. they hyped a lot and i probably got more details from the forums than from SONY, but so far it looks like they are trying to be on part wuth current gen high end PCs with perspectives (DDR5 ram) so i expect a huge leap in graphics on PC due to this. well this is assuming Xbox720 will arrive in similar time, but it would be quite stupid not to let it out of the box now.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Knack, InFAMOUS: Second Son and WATCH_DOGS all look really good, as does that Media Molecule 3D modelling tool. Colour me interested.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
My thoughts:

- I gave it a B. I wanted answer to the inclusion of touchpad to the controller. I'm hoping its not (and I quote YZ) "solution looking for a problem" like Wii U tablet controller.

- I was kind of disappointed to see another Infamous title mainly because I loved Infamous 1&2 and it wrapped up the story well. The game seemed like it could have easily been a new IP but they decided to stick the name 'Infamous' to it. But I enjoyed all SP's games so I'm optimistic.

- Knack looked promising out of all Sony Exclusives announced. Its art style and the release of NiNoKuni makes me think "How would Pixar do if they decided to partake on interactive story telling". Pixar should definitely think about it.

- They didn't show the hardware design but I'm sure it wont be an eyesore. I'm not worried too much about it.

In conclusion, I kept my expectation low (as always) for this event and ended up pleasantly surprised.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Saving my pennies. PS3 clearly overtook the 360 in terms of quality exclusives, and I don't see that trend reversing in the next generation. If anything, I'm seeing a bare Microsoft cupboard beyond Halo and Gears. Plus we'll likely see 1-2 years of "better than high-end pc" graphics (NOT because it's stronger than a PC - try not to wet yourselves, fellow pc gamers). Plus plus I'm cutting the cord on Xbox Live this gen. I was "invested" to this point, but I'm done paying for what should be free - and having to pay more every time they add another otherwise free feature.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Didn't see all of it, but there was some impressive stuff. It's always easy to add "for a console" to that, but you know, some people don't give a shit about amazing graphics. It's really not enough to sell me on the PS4 immediately, but a lot of it looked okay (while some of it looked like total lies :D).

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Don't care about the graphics, especially don't care for the tones that David Cage and Jonathan Blow used in their presentations, mildly interested in some of the features of the controller. But all that pales in comparison to my concerns about the internet connectivity of the console. Specifically, if the presentation is to believed, those of us without a steady internet connection won't just miss out on the online experience.

We'll have an entire button at our fingertips rendered useless.

I get that this is 2013, and always on internet connectivity is demanded of by everyone and expected by most gadget consumers. But in my little slice of the country, broadband coverage is patchwork at best. Not every game demands to have constant updates on how your friends are doing or where you rank on the leaderboards. Similarly, not every gamer demands online multiplayer components be added to every title that comes out.

I'll put this as clearly as I can, console makers. The more you try to turn your TV-connected game box into an iPad, the more you'll be encouraging me to head back to my TI-83+.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
im going to be honest it was a bit meh for me.
thats no fault of Sony but since ive semi joined the PC gaming master race i do feel a bit apathetic about it, i may buy it at some point but its definately not something thats got me doing back flips in excitment

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The Watch Dog news is old, didnt that demo come out last E3? The pad looks the same apart from the screen that so small i dont know if there is really any point to it. An nor, from what i remember, did they even discuss the pad in any length. Whats that screen for? What can it do? Very underwhelmed game wise, nothing screamed "Wow, see you couldnt play this game on an PS3." An showing multi platform titles like Watch Dogs isnt a good idea when showing off your console.

But then, i guess this was a taster. Seemed a bit rushed, but with all those leaking photos etc they had to do it that way. I think E3 will really sell it. More actual gameplay footage and demos of the console.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Meh probably sums it up for me. There was a lot of stuff about the developer side of the console, and while that's definitely a good thing for developers, for me as a simple gamer it doesn't really mean anything. The increased focus on using the PS4 as a hub for a gaming-oriented social network didn't surprise me - with the increased integration of things like Facebook into current-gen devices, it kind of makes sense for Sony to try and craft a network of their own. The whole spiel about trying to eliminating download times and pre-loading game data of stuff you might want to play so you can just drop into it sounds like a big promise that Sony might not manage to live up to for a year or so, but we shall have to wait and see. The games that were announced were also a point of little interest. A couple of generic first-person shooters, a driving game, standard action types, a cutesy platformer... with the exception of Watch Dogs, it all looked a little standard.

Final observations: Square-Enix were pitiful. They showed off the tech demo from last E3 again and had an announcement to reveal that they will be making an announcement later this year. Superb. Also, I was massively surprised to see Blizzard up there. They gave easily the most spirited announcement, for Diablo III on PS4, but I do hope they take it as a chance to sort out the kinks reported in the PC version.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Everything seemed good, but not showing the console is a bit of a dickslap. Plus, kinda wondering about the price, hopefully it won't launch at wallet-molesting prices like the PS3 did.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
We have literally not seen ANYTHING!

Some pre-rendered cutscenes, wow.
"gameplay" without a visible player or any way to determine it's not pre-rendered.
Promises of social media services.
Someone holding a PS3 gamepad with a black square taped to the center.
Some devs voicing their excitement that they're working for money.
The specs don't mean anything because we can only estimate the performance based on what we know on PCs

I'll be waiting until they finally reveal something.