Poll: What do you think of DLC today and do you wish you had protested in when it began?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
The Steam paid mods controversy has made me think about DLC, how it started and how it has become the norm and in most games. We are now asked to pre-order our DLC months in advance of it being released in packages called Season Passes. I think it's gotten out of hand. FYI, I see paid mods as player made DLC.

So what are you thought on DLC in 2015?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
What if, and I'm shooting totally blind here: THERE FUCKING AREN'T ONLY TWO FUCKING SIDES OF EVERY FUCKING ISSUE?

I dunno I've been thinking and can't put my finger on it but it seems like it could be true. In theory.

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
I'm not going to let a few bad apples ruin the bunch. I like the model of free story/mission based content, but cosmetic stuff is premium.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
I protested for years, then I finally relented after seeing my protestations doing absolutely nothing. DLC is here to stay unfortunately.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
You know, now that I think about it, DLC really hasn't changed that much for me. Often don't buy it and never miss it or even notice it. The biggest change is that now I have the option to buy the somethingcoolsounding version that includes some extra stuff.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I'm still fine the with majority of DLC (I just don't buy much because of less bang for buck) and even if I wasn't that wouldn't make think I should have protested at the start over DLC practises I don't have an issue with because it might lead to other things in the future that I do. If I have problem with a practice then I protest that.

It not like you have to buy a season pass. It doesn't even cost you less to do so than buying it when all the DLC is released.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
DoPo said:
What if, and I'm shooting totally blind here: THERE FUCKING AREN'T ONLY TWO FUCKING SIDES OF EVERY FUCKING ISSUE?

I dunno I've been thinking and can't put my finger on it but it seems like it could be true. In theory.
Wow, anger problems?

Let me explain how this works. You can vote Yes, you can vote No and you can choose not to vote. In any case you can also leave a comment and in that comment you could explain that none of the poll options fit you and explain why.

On the other hand, you could use the comment section to rant about a poll that's not perfectly suited to you without explaining your position at all. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
DementedSheep said:
It not like you have to buy a season pass. It doesn't even cost you less to do so than buying it when all the DLC is released.
You don't have to buy any DLC or games for that matter but we can still discuss these things. I don't understand the point of this sentence.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
On the other hand, you could use the comment section to rant about a poll that's not perfectly suited to you without explaining your position at all. Whatever makes you happy I guess.
Why, would you even consider something not binary to be a position? I didn't catch that drift from your post.

Then again, non-binary is just a theory, not a fact.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
DoPo said:
WeepingAngels said:
Why, would you even consider something not binary to be a position? I didn't catch that drift from your post.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The state of DLC may be pretty poor, but the issue isn't the principle of the thing. I'm glad it exists, just not how they're utilising it.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
DoPo said:
WeepingAngels said:

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say.
That you don't seem to consider anything aside from "yes" or "no". You never acknoledged it before me bringing it up.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Well, I don't think those two extremes you have in your poll are exactly enough to really say what I think about DLC.

I'm not opposed to the concept itself. But I guess I am opposed to what a lot of it has become. Stuff like Season Passes for DLC that's "in the works" (so $30-$40 extra dollars for something that's not even visible or tangible to the consumer yet) or stuff that's locked behind exclusive paywalls or preorders. I'm more inclined to be supportive of DLC when it feels like there was a lot of effort put into it and it doesn't feel like the dev/publisher is trying to gip me out of a bit of extra money along with the initial price. Basically, expansions of mechanics, content and story created after the game has been around for at least a little bit. But I'm hard-pressed to think of specific examples at the moment.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I used to take a neutral stance to DLC, weighing each on their respective merits and making a decision on their value or lack thereof.

However, OP has made it clear that either I hate it like poison and want to fight it, or I like it and want to cuddle it, so I guess I love DLC now. Sorry guys. All DLC is amazing.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Silvanus said:
The state of DLC may be pretty poor, but the issue isn't the principle of the thing. I'm glad it exists, just not how they're utilising it.
It is what it is. You can't have the DLC without the greed in 2015, it was always to become this way. Did you think DLC was going to take any other path than the one that leads to greed?

Anyway, I don't think I have ever seen so many people pissed because the poll option don't equal their way of thinking. The poll question (Do you wish you had protested DLC when it was new in hopes to stop it?) really was a yes or no question.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
Silvanus said:
It is what it is. You can't have the DLC without the greed in 2015, it was always to become this way.
Thanks for proving my point. You never would have considered a different position. You still can't.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
DoPo said:
WeepingAngels said:
Silvanus said:
It is what it is. You can't have the DLC without the greed in 2015, it was always to become this way.
Thanks for proving my point. You never would have considered a different position. You still can't.
You're welcome. I only wish I knew what your point was.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
DoPo said:
WeepingAngels said:
Silvanus said:
The same one I mentioned in the beginning of this thread. It's in all caps, so you can't miss it.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
DoPo said:
WeepingAngels said:
DoPo said:
WeepingAngels said:
Silvanus said:
The same one I mentioned in the beginning of this thread. It's in all caps, so you can't miss it.
Ok well, glad I could help vindicate you.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
DoPo said:
WeepingAngels said:
DoPo said:
WeepingAngels said:
Silvanus said:
Ok well, glad I could help vindicate you.
I believe I have the power of prophecy on my side, for I I already knew that.

Since it's clear you're not after discussion, can you close the thread now?