Poll: what do you think the best JRPG of the last 10 years was?

joe90

Nov 23, 2010
2001-2010 was a turbulent time for gaming, seeing leaps and bounds in the way we interact with our games, but some genres have been left behind in the chaos. JRPGs are still going strong though, and i felt the shin megami tensei and dragon quest series are currently the best of the field, with persona 4 and dragon quest 9 eating away large chunks of free time. what do you, fellow escapist readers, think was the best?

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Favorite in order starting with the best: FFIX, Persona 4, FFX, Kingdom Hearts, Persona 3, Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Nier, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Parasite Eve 2.

I haven't played the Dragon Warrior series. It never appealed to me.

Christ, I never realized how many JRPGs came out in 2000 that I loved.

Llost

Jan 24, 2011
Persona 3, Morrowind and Star wars Knights of the old Republic were the 3 best to me. Probably Morrowind as the best.

King Kupofried

Jan 19, 2010
A few years ago I would have probably said the Playstation and Playstation 2 have the best array of RPGs. Recently the DS and PSP have been my main source of a generally better JRPG and Turn-based RPG experiences.

Although some very good ones have been seen on home consoles, Chrono Cross on the playstation offered a wonderful follow-up to Chrono Trigger and remains to be one of my favorites. As well as Persona 3 and 4 on the PS2. Not to mention pretty much every NIS game.

My favorite by far is Mother 3 for the GBA though.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I'd either have to go with Persona 3 FES,Tales of Symphonia, or Dragon Quest 8.All excellent in their own way.

Wild Arms 3 gets an honorable mention due to it's awesome Wild west setting and game play ideas. As does P4 for polishing everything in P3 to a mirror shine.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I have different answers to the question of the title, and the poll.

While my favorite RPGs are the Pokemon games, I don't really feel like they're the BEST JRPGs ever.

No, the best JRPG of the last ten years is, in my opinion, Persona 4. I could gush on about it for awhile, but the recent Extra Credits episode dedicated to it summed my feeling up nicely.

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
I know its a remake but Chrono Trigger is my favourite game of all time, the SNES version and the DS version, if not that because the original was released in 1995 (I think) but then Persona 3, though I would like a Persona game with only the school, like Bully, I found the school to be much more enjoyable than the dungeon crawling. So yeah Persona 3, FES mainly, I'm rambling now.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
SMT Persona 3 Fes hands down on the console (EDIT: and yes I've played Persona 4, I just didnt like the story as much, and P3/P3Fes had the gritty, more in it action and feel. When Shinji um... well... has what happens to him that really pisses me off since I have to take his spot, it seems to be more of a driving plot element then the murders of P4. Really, only what happens with Nanako and what happens with Saki felt like the had advanced the plot at all and gave you that connecting feeling).

On the Handheld? Hm.... I dont want to say pokemon and just be that way, and I did like Izuna: legend of the unemployed ninja. so I'll say that. Izuna: Legend of the unemployed Ninja.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The first Disgaea game. Love their charaters.
joe90 said:
2001-2010 was a turbulent time for gaming, seeing leaps and bounds in the way we interact with our games, but some genres have been left behind in the chaos. JRPGs are still going strong though, and i felt the shin megami tensei and dragon quest series are currently the best of the field, with persona 4 and dragon quest 9 eating away large chunks of free time. what do you, fellow escapist readers, think was the best?
Can you add a new option, "on both"? Games like Disgaea and Chrono Trigger have both console and handheld ports.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
Baron von Blitztank said:
Well the only JRPG I played within that time was Chrono Trigger on the DS. Does that count?
Actually I think that's the best version, considering that the SNES version lacks animated cut scenes and arena, and the PS1 version has constant load times. I would let it count.

Personally my favorite JRPGs have come out on handhelds: Golden Sun, Pokemon, the Mario & Luigi series. Its just more fun to not have to worry about getting a save point, and instead playing wherever I want.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Valagetti said:
Fallout 3 must of been my favourite off the top my head.
Llost said:
Persona 3, Morrowind and Star wars Knights of the old Republic were the 3 best to me. Probably Morrowind as the best.
Not JRPG's I'm afraid, still very good games though.

OT: I'm going with Golden Sun and The Lost Age. Probably not the best games technically, but they left such a big impression on me at the time.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Resonance of Fate. Yeah, I said it.

Likeable characters (mostly), good humor, fun - if slightly broken - gameplay, fantastic graphics, and a nicely written story. In short, it was about the only JRPG I gave more than two fucks about, and one I'm actually glad I bought.

volcanblade

Jan 11, 2010
Best in my opinion was Ar Tonelico because I've never played a JRPG like it really.

But other great ones were Resonance of Fate, Chrono Trigger DS, Mana Khemia, and the Disgaea games