Poll: what do you think the best JRPG of the last 10 years was?

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
Persona 4 for me. I liked 3, but I felt 4 was better, though I'm sure someone will want to cut me for saying that.

joe90

Nov 23, 2010
It seems that Persona 3 and 4 have more than a few fans! I felt that 4 was better than 3, as the characters felt more human and i always felt that Takaya, Jim and Chidori were underused.

In England, you would be hard pressed to find two people on a crowded street who had heard of, let alone played a SMT game, which is sad.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Well thats not really why. I usually Alternate between the Protagonist of P3/P3Fes, the protagonist of P4, and a picture of Brooks Orpik of the Pittsburgh Penguins. I just wnated to see who this would work.

And yeah, I'll admit it gets pretty slow in the beginning, but I think its more just to introduce you to your options and decide, do you want a team of SP, physical attacking, mix of both? As well as letting you define while you'll do in the game later whether you'll be support, status inflictor, or attacking tank and letting someone else support you. Cause P4 seems to have that same slowness in its beginning too.

But Like I said, I like P3Fes more for the story.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I haven't played the others because I don't have a DS or PSP and rather didn't like Chain of Memories.

I really don't like JRPGs because I don't like turn based combat. FFXII was okay because it was more like delaying the attack but even so I still don't really like it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
joe90 said:
Weird. Most of the people I talked to that even knew what the game was were English. or Japanese. Though thats not as surprising. But I do agree, it is sad, and its sad cause in America, either enough people havent heard of it, they hate it, they dont want to try it cause its not GoW (Gears or God, take your pick) or Halo, or they're closet fans.

PeterDawson said:
Persona 4 for me. I liked 3, but I felt 4 was better, though I'm sure someone will want to cut me for saying that.
I hope you odnt mean me. I dont care which you like better, its all opinion. I played P3 Fes first, so the characters seemed alot better then in the P3 version, and so that was my intro. Besides, it didnt help that I found my video game love (my avy) in it and she played a larger role then the cameo she does in P4 to give something of a linking between the games beyong Igor and the Velvet room, and with Margaret being Elizabeth's sister.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. PS2. In my top 3 games of all time, fer sure!

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Was the J in JRPG using a cloaking device that ran out of batteries only recently? Half the favorite rpg comments mention a WRPG as one... not that I blame them, my favorite rpg isn't a JRPG, but I digress.

Kind of a tough one, I'm not sure any JRPG storylines of the past 10 years really did anything for me... The World Ends with You was pretty interesting though, I liked the gameplay, the pin system and somewhat the story, kinda reminded me of Gantz in a way... in fact on hindsight it wasn't a very clean ripoff, I still enjoyed it though.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Any of the Pokemon series. Gold/Silver and HeartGold/SoulSilver are likely the best of the bunch. The only other JRPG I could even remotely stand is Golden Sun.

MetallicMonkey

Jan 22, 2011
Disgaea 1 and 2 were good (Haven't played 3, so I wouldn't know about that one). Persona 3 and 4 were also great. As for others, I'd have to go with Tales of Symphonia and Final Fantasy IX.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Another person who actually played the DQ series. I liked dragon quest 7 best, and barely makes the cut but was released in america in 2001.

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
Valagetti said:
Fallout 3 must of been my favourite off the top my head.
Fallout 3 was NOT a JRPG, it was a fps rpg that most closely related to certain western rpgs =P.
OT: any of the disgaea games, FFIX, or Crisis core.

MaximillionMiles

Jan 20, 2011
Few know and even less actually like this game but I'll say it anyways.
Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. Best JRPG I've ever played.

... So there.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
UncleUlty said:
Tales of Symphonia
Damn ninjas.

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game of all time so it's obviously my nominee for best JRPG.

Golden Sun and The Lost Age come in second and third (respectively) though.

joe90

Nov 23, 2010
MaximillionMiles said:
Few know and even less actually like this game but I'll say it anyways.
Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. Best JRPG I've ever played.

... So there.
I wanted to like this game, but the 'ticking down till your character explodes' mechanic scared me out of casual exploration. losing my red PS2 memory card with the save on didn't help either...

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Well I know that you can only get it by pirating it unless you're going to learn Japanese but Mother 3 has to be the best JRPG of the last 20 years maybe in the entire history of the Genre, it's such a heart-warming and emotion evoking piece of work. Every little detail works together to create a truly beautiful experience, from the music to the dialogue you actually feel for little Lucas and his Family being torn apart by the most evil of any villain Porky. Even the end sequence where
Claus is revealed to be the masked man and apologizes for trying to hurt Lucas his own brother, and ends up killing himself with lightning to be with his mom again and to bring peace to the Island instead of continuing being Porky's pawn, and pulling the final needle and causing everyone he used to care about to be wiped away forever.
brings tears to my eyes every play through. Mostly because this song is playing during that entire sequence with the
Flashbacks of Claus and Lucas' childhood
[youtube]idULzIIF950[/youtube]

Such a spectacular game. *sniff*

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
The World Ends With You is by far my favorite of the decade, and one of my favorite games of all time too. I'll mention Pokemon as a runner up because I also love that series, and it had plenty of solid entries in the last decade.