Poll: what do you think the best JRPG of the last 10 years was?

MaximillionMiles

Jan 20, 2011
joe90 said:
snip

I wanted to like this game, but the 'ticking down till your character explodes' mechanic scared me out of casual exploration. losing my red PS2 memory card with the save on didn't help either...
There's plenty of time to explore the entire game if you don't abuse the D-form in combat. I managed to finish the game with 78% on my first try and I wandered quite a bit AND fought some bosses with the dragon form. Without using the form at all I clocked 35%.

Not to say the game didn't have its flaws. As a matter of fact, it had HUGE ones. Still the best JRPG I've ever played. Then again, I don't like grinding, which comes with most JRPGs, so... That may be one reason.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
I'd say Infinite Undiscovery was the best JRPG, but then again I did not have a PS3 so I missed out on almost all of them.

Runner-up: Lost Odyssey

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
Blue Dragon. My fave by far. Im not counting the Chrono Trigger remake cause that's cheating. I play it on my emulator in it's original SNES flavor anyways

Ninjastoned

Mar 3, 2010
Looking up I can't fathom how stupid some people are calling some games that are obviously not JRPG, does there have to be like meeting every year that reminds the stupids what they are playing? Oh wait we already have it... E3.... Oh but my favourite JRPGs will go something like the guy above me.

PSP: Kingdom Hearths Birth By Sleep
DS: Pokemon (any of them including White and Black)
PS2: Final Fantasy 12
PS1: Final Fantasy 7
GBA: Golden Sun Series

Star_Seeker

Nov 14, 2010
I'm going to do this by system:

PS2: SMT: Persona 3 FES, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts (The story in Persona 3 FES is just amazing - plus The Answer gives it a really good finish. I haven't played Persona 4 though)
Gamecube: Baten Kaitos Origins
X360: Final Fantasy XIII (HEY, I LIKED IT)
PSP: Definitely KH: Birth By Sleep
DS: Chrono Trigger but I'm probably forgetting some of the good ones.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
bushwhacker2k said:
Was the J in JRPG using a cloaking device that ran out of batteries only recently? Half the favorite rpg comments mention a WRPG as one... not that I blame them, my favorite rpg isn't a JRPG, but I digress.

Kind of a tough one, I'm not sure any JRPG storylines of the past 10 years really did anything for me... The World Ends with You was pretty interesting though, I liked the gameplay, the pin system and somewhat the story, kinda reminded me of Gantz in a way... in fact on hindsight it wasn't a very clean ripoff, I still enjoyed it though.
Holy crap I never even noticed that.

On a side note, ever seen Gantz Abridged? Same guy also did Berserk Abridged.

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Best JRPG? I'm going with Persona 4.
Agreed. Persona 4 remains one of my favorite games - now that I've graduated high school, I'm considering playing through it again to relive some good memories and try out some of the social links I never got around to.

If not P4, then The World Ends With You. I <3 my TWEWY pins!

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:
Was the J in JRPG using a cloaking device that ran out of batteries only recently? Half the favorite rpg comments mention a WRPG as one... not that I blame them, my favorite rpg isn't a JRPG, but I digress.

Kind of a tough one, I'm not sure any JRPG storylines of the past 10 years really did anything for me... The World Ends with You was pretty interesting though, I liked the gameplay, the pin system and somewhat the story, kinda reminded me of Gantz in a way... in fact on hindsight it wasn't a very clean ripoff, I still enjoyed it though.

I haven't seen those, I'll add it to my to-do list :D

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
bushwhacker2k said:
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:

You should, both are quite funny. Before I saw DBZ Abridged Gantz was my favourite, it's probably got the best combination of good jokes and good voice acting besides DBZ Abridged. Berserk's is earlier and has weaker voice acting, but it's funny as hell. And thanks for the friend.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:

You should, both are quite funny. Before I saw DBZ Abridged Gantz was my favourite, it's probably got the best combination of good jokes and good voice acting besides DBZ Abridged. Berserk's is earlier and has weaker voice acting, but it's funny as hell. And thanks for the friend.
Np at all :D

I could name a few '90s Final Fantasies I really liked, I would even go so far as to say I loved Final Fantasy Tactics, gaming hall of fame :p

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
bushwhacker2k said:
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:

I could name a few '90s Final Fantasies I really liked, I would even go so far as to say I loved Final Fantasy Tactics, gaming hall of fame :p
No arguments there, VI and Tactics are easily my favourites in the series. Unfortunately, the only versions an English speaker can get are either poorly translated or laggy as hell.

joe90

Nov 23, 2010
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:
Cheesepower5 said:
bushwhacker2k said:

No arguments there, VI and Tactics are easily my favourites in the series. Unfortunately, the only versions an English speaker can get are either poorly translated or laggy as hell.
I quite liked FFVI advance actually! with the extra dungeons and equipment. although they did take out Kefka's HATEHATEHATEHATE speech...

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
joe90 said:
I quite liked FFVI advance actually! with the extra dungeons and equipment. although they did take out Kefka's HATEHATEHATEHATE speech...
The translation on GBA was give or take. On one hand, no Woolseyisms. On the other hand? A lot more space to flesh out the script and characters.

The only Kefka line I liked better was the change from "Son of a submariner!" to "Son of a sandworm!" since, well, it actually made sense in context.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
My favorite game ever made, Tales of Symphonia.

Unless its a Tales game, I generally don't like JRPGs.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Xenosaga...it would be xenogear but that came out in 98'

or maybe Chrono cross