Poll: What hurts more: kicked in the balls or giving birth?

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
EDIT: Thought you ought to be quoted in this...
cahtush said:
well im not 100% sure it could be on other (cromosones) too
I went one better than google:

Tyler and Edman (2004) said:
"The cause of Down syndrome is trisomy, or presence of three copies of
some or all of chromosome 21. Down syndrome is caused 95% of the time
by nondisjunction of chromosome 21 during the meiotic formation of the
spermatocyte or oocyte. Around 4% of individuals with Down syndrome
have the ??extra?? copy of chromosome 21 attached, or translocated, to
another chromosome; in one third of these cases, this translocation also is
present in one of the parents." (Tyler & Edman, 2004)
"Most individuals with Klinefelter syndrome bear an extra X chromosome,
resulting in a karyotype of 47,XXY [...]" (Tyler & Edman, 2004)
Phenotypes common in Klinefelter patients dependant on age.

"Age------------Features
Infancy---------Usually none, occasionally hypospadias, small phallus, cryptorchidism
Toddler---------Developmental speech delay
Childhood-------Accelerated linear growth velocity
----------------Learning disabilities
Adolescence-----Gynecomastia
----------------Eunuchoid body habitus; arm span> height
----------------Small testicular volume
----------------Sparse axillary, facial, pubic hair
Adult-----------Infertility
----------------Leg ulcers"
(Tyler & Edman, 2004)
So it turns out that although you were not wrong, an XXY chromosome does not mean someone necessarily has Down Syndrome. Although it would be impossible for someone with XXY chromosomes to become pregnant.
I was under the impression, due to a badly worded lecture in "Origins and Evolution of Life" at uni, that an XXY chromosome denoted someone who was born hermaphroditic.

The more you know!

Link to full article here: [link=http://inovapeds.org/library/readings/Down%20Syndrome/Down%20syndrome,%20Turner%20syndrome,%20and%20Klinefelter%20syndrome.pdf]
Tyler, C., & Edman, J. C. (2004) Down syndrome, Turner syndrome, and Klinefelter syndrome: primary care throughout the life span. USA Primary Care Clinical Office Practice, 31(1), 627-648.[/link]

(Couldn't indent second line... :( )

EDIT: Edited in quote boxes for ease of viewing...
I've only been off of uni for one day... O.O I better get started on a lab report for a couple months time or something.

gravitate

Nov 28, 2010
im the last person anyone would expect to say this, but i vote for childbirth.
but still, WHY DO FEMALES ALWAYS IMAGINE CHILD BIRTH BEING THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD FOR THEM?! i mean i know there's all of the stuff that happen 9 moths before giving birth, and then there's actually giving birth, but dont you get something good out of it? you get your own child.
P.S. unless you have actually given birth, dont ***** about it. that would be like if i would ***** about not having one hand when i am typing with both of my fucking hands. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
WolfThomas said:
I'm actually currently doing my rotation on O&G and it's definitely childbirth, simply if for the timeframe. Some women can be in early labour for nearly a day, having frequent painful contractions. That said you don't have hormones for a kick in the balls or the option of pethidine, nitrous oxide or an epidural. But it's still childbirth.

thaluikhain said:
I'd like to answer this in the form of a SFW, but scary, picture:

*crosses legs* Childbirth is worse.
An episiotomy has local anaesthetic when they do it. It's only usually done if it's going to tear. A clean straight line is easier to stitch and heal than a zigzag on many levels.
To put my thoughts simply... I'm sure that childbirth is painful, more painful then being kicked in the balls...

but just 3 things

1: pain is pain, it's not saying one doesn't hurt at all, that's like saying being shot is pain, but a knife in the arm is nothing, so don't tell anyone "you have it easy" when it still hurts

2: I think a better question would be kicked in the nuts or kicked in the breast (my money's on the nuts hurting more)

3: a little out there but- if giving birth hurts so dang much, and considering that the pregnant women I've been around do NOTHING but nag about how everything should be handed to them because "they're pregnant and it's SOOO UNBEARABLE" (-no I'm NOT kidding...)
well, if it's so PAINFUL and so UNBEARABLE, then why the heck are there so dang many PEOPLE in the world!

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
After seeing my sister-in-law give birth through a video, I would say giving birth. AS somebody else said, you sit there for hours and hours, waiting for your cervix to dilate 10 inches for a thing still bigger than that to come out. And sometimes they have to snip a corner to make it easier, or your vagina rips. If you're kicked in the balls, yeah, it might hurt like hell, but at least a tennis ball isn't being forced out of your urethra.

My mother described childbirth as needing to take a dump, having period cramps, and having a very bad stomachache. And she delivered all three of us through Cesarean section.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
depends what kind of kick it was.
normally, i'd say childbirth would be more painful, but a kick that lifts someone off the ground can do some real damage.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
To quote Jason Manford:
'Both are probably painful, all that screamin' you women do gives it away. But when all is said and done after a while a woman will say "I think I want another baby." while a bloke will never say "I think I could do with another kick in the bollocks." so the kick must hurt more.'

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
It's hard to compare. Pain is pain is pain. It's all painful. Perhaps this will make it clearer.

Let's make these two situations into, oh, say, transactions.

Giving birth is like giving a lot of money for a single diamond. It cost a lot, but it's yours now, and damned if you're gonna give it up for less.

Getting kicked in the balls? Well, that's kind of like getting scammed. Possibly like getting mugged. Maybe scammed and then mugged. And then, depending on how hard you got scammed, you suddenly can't pay your bills cause you lost your money.

So, yeah. End product decides. Scam vs diamond. Which would you want more?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
So hard not to respond to the original post and the poll results without getting suspended! Dammit!

I don't want to hear about enzymes or hormones that kick in when a woman gives birth. Though a kick in the balls is one of the most painful things a man can go through, I've never heard a man make the same sound as he makes when, say, he is shot in the gut, nor the sound his wife makes when she pushes a melon-sized infant through an opening the size of a tangerine.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Kicked in the balls hurts from a little while and kind of wounds your pride but giving birth hurts for a lot longer and you have to live with stretch marks too so giving birth. Though it doesn't mean that being kicked in the balls doesn't hurt like hell either.

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
The only way to solve this is for a hermaphrodite who has given birth and be kicked in the balls to answer this thread.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
kicked in the balls. you dont see men lining up to be kicked in the balls now do you. A few months after childbirth women want to do it all again. [sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]for those who can't tell i'm kidding xD[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Speaking as a man who has taken several kicks to that area, I still think it's giving birth, because that goes on for hours, while a sack smash hurts like a biatch for like 40 mins (-/+), hurts your pride and makes you feel sick.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Imagine being kicked in the balls.

Then imagine the foot that kicked you in the balls suddenly grabbed ahold of them, and then just yanked on them over and over again for a few (or more than a few) hours.

From what I understand, that's what giving birth is like.

Does that answer your question?