Poll: What if Apple made a video game console.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
My understanding is that Apple really isn't interested in the gaming market and all of the support it gives for it is half-hearted at best. This might be a result of their failed Pippin project, but it can also be a conscious decision to market themselves as "business" hardware.

Digitalpotato post=9.72176.757698 said:
Chances are everyone would hate it. Even viruses hate mac.
It's a simple matter of demographics. Why program viruses on a platform that only 10% use, when there's another far vulnerable platform out there that the vast majortity use? Mac viruses do exist, though, and more of them would surely exist in the hypothetical scenario where Macs are the dominant computer, not the PC.

I personally like their laptop line: the software is nice (OS X is BSD with proper software support, awesome), the OS doesn't require a reinstall the moment you open the box (no ad/malware from the get-go). If I was going to game on my laptop, I surely would have gotten a more suitable laptop, but I wasn't. I have a custom-built desktop computer for that.

s-l-u-g

Sep 5, 2008
If they did.. It would be a big white n64, with a price of 6,000,000 USD/AUD /CAD / GBP OK ANY CURRENCY!! Also, it's main feature, like everything with apple, is that it would play music.. but not any music,mind! Only music you got off itunes! stay back, pirates!

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
It'd probably end up being a little novel system with some gimickey controller. The system wouldn't have the greatest graphics in the world and the library would have lots of 'family games.'

Oh wait, Nintendo beat them to it. *Ba dum tish*

Execudork

Sep 12, 2008
Rankao post=9.72176.756311 said:
astaldodhol post=9.72176.751008 said:
They'd make a gaming console and it'll become a international cult sensation like everything they make.
It would bring on the end of gaming in about half an hour, and the end of the world in about oh, 31 minutes.
I love how the world ends before gaming ends.

I haven't had a Blue screen of death in 4 years. Apple will never dominate because they don't know how to allow everyone to kinda just contribute. They dictate every damn thing that can be used on their system like the own the damn users or something.
I love your ability to think about fractions. Half an hour is 30 minutes, which is one minute less than the 31 minutes required for the end of the world.

I've been running Winblows XP since it came out, on a desktop and a laptop. The desktop had a few instances of the blue screen of death (maybe 3 or 4) in the first 2 days I had it, while I argued with the fools who sold it to me about their ridiculous choices made during installation. Yes, it was a pain in the ass, but a complete re-install solved all those problems, and it never crashed again. The laptop, bought about 2 years later, has NEVER crashed.

Vista makes me sad, though - I don't have it, and I don't want it.

Back on-topic, an Apple console would basically be the Wii, but with the Japanese-flavoured weirdness replaced by California-flavoured weirdness. California has sushi, just like Japan, but in California the rice is a bit different, the fish are different species, and you can get options never available in Japan, like avocado and "imitation crab". The iBox would be similar - a lot like the Wii, but no Mario and no Zelda, just a huge collection of simple little low-grade games featuring some asstard character doing all manner of boring things. But he'd have a soul patch.

Sometimes I think we must live in a parallel dimension, created accidentally when an Apple employee tried to maximize a window on the operating system. In the real universe, the Wii was made by Apple, and Nintendo followed Sega down the software-only path. We got stuck with bizarro world where the inability to turn off random play order on a music player is considered a selling feature.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
What's all this about Macs being powerful compared to PCs? Now that Intel are making the cores for them there's no difference in hardware from the inside of a Mac to the inside of a similarly-priced desktop workstation.

Death Magnetic

Aug 10, 2008
There are plenty of consoles on the market already in my opinion. If anyone is going to join Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, I'd put money on it being EA rather than Apple.

-Ricky

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
oAmadeuso post=9.72176.756297 said:
Wow, why so much hate for Apple? The way some people talk you would think
steve jobs is a Nazi Baby eater that votes republican and takes loudly on public
transport........
Wow, thanks. I was almost afraid to enter the fray until I saw that I wouldn't be the only person supporting Apple.

No, Apple shouldn't try making a console, three consoles is the perfect number. So unless Microsoft give up, which doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon, Apple shouldn't enter the market.

What's with all the 'poorly made' crap about Apple? My best mate went through about 5 mp3 players in less than 2 years, until I bought him an iPod, which he still uses everyday now, 2 years later. And my macbook is pretty much bullet-proof and much easier to use out of the box than any other laptop that I've ever used. Sure Apple products are expensive, but they don't cut corners unlike lots of other companies *cough* Microsoft *cough*.