Poll: What if you were forced into military?

Fenrir45

Mar 21, 2009
Danzaivar said:
asiepshtain said:
Whatever they think I could do the most good in, its what I did when I was drafted for real.

It disappoints me to see such a low level of courage here sometimes, either you fight or someone else has to fight for you. We all die eventually, better to live a shorter life of meaning then twenty more years as a coward which serves nothing but himself.
So you would have served in the Nazi army to protect Germany as the allies pounded down on it? Better to live a short life of meaning right?

Christ it's people like you who don't question the direction of a country which make the world a dangerous place.
I would.
I want to join the army at the frontline so I won't need to be conscripted.

bennettheferret

May 17, 2009
Id try to sneak out country,but i dont think a army would take me.I dont have particularly good hand to eye cordination.

xxnightlawxx

Nov 6, 2008
i dont want to join the army and nothing and let me put emphasis on "nothing"will make me join the army
i am not goin to go over to a war that i would not believe and get killed for no reason that ii would think was right
yes i am against war if anyone has anything against that well to bad

Fenrir45

Mar 21, 2009
xxnightlawxx said:
i dont want to join the army and nothing and let me put emphasis on "nothing"will make me join the army
i am not goin to go over to a war that i would not believe and get killed for no reason that ii would think was right
lol Damn hippie anti-war protesters.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Frontline support... or possibly long range combat. I've already been drafted once for a more combat oriented role... and it wasn't for me.

xxnightlawxx

Nov 6, 2008
Fenrir45 said:
xxnightlawxx said:
lol Damn hippie anti-war protesters.
damn right

irishstormtrooper

Mar 19, 2009
I would choose long-range combat. It's relatively safe, there's no meeting hostiles face-to-face, and no nasty little problems like PTSD. if i had to choose a kind of long range combat, I'd have to choose to be a sniper. Basically, you just lie/sit/stand around until someone stands still long enough for you to shoot them.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
I can't be drafted, I'm asthmatic. Otherwise I would join them by free will...if I didn't know what a massive coward I was.

Beowolf99

Nov 12, 2008
irishstormtrooper said:
I would choose long-range combat. It's relatively safe, there's no meeting hostiles face-to-face, and no nasty little problems like PTSD. if i had to choose a kind of long range combat, I'd have to choose to be a sniper. Basically, you just lie/sit/stand around until someone stands still long enough for you to shoot them.
Spoken like a man who truly hasn't the slightest idea what a sniper's life is like :)

//Knew a former sniper once. Interesting stories.

Beowolf99

Nov 12, 2008
Back in my 20's I volunteered for the US Navy's nuclear program. I assume that would be "combat support".

Alas, they found something they didn't like looking at my heart during the physical. 30 years later, I don't like it much either :)

In the spirit of the theoretical exercise, I picked "civilian service", as there's no practical way I'd be useful now in a war zone. Since this is a true universal draft, well, I guess they'd draft me, and then draft someone to be an aide for me :)

If your draft is truly universal, why men only? Strikes me as kinda old-fashioned.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
ExaltedK9 said:
I can't be drafted, I'm asthmatic. Otherwise I would join them by free will...if I didn't know what a massive coward I was.
You would be. And then you would be placed to civilian service or possibly some non-strenuous combat support job.

Really, in an universal draft a small thing like asthma is nothing.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Beowolf99 said:
Back in my 20's I volunteered for the US Navy's nuclear program. I assume that would be "combat support".

Alas, they found something they didn't like looking at my heart during the physical. 30 years later, I don't like it much either :)

In the spirit of the theoretical exercise, I picked "civilian service", as there's no practical way I'd be useful now in a war zone. Since this is a true universal draft, well, I guess they'd draft me, and then draft someone to be an aide for me :)

If your draft is truly universal, why men only? Strikes me as kinda old-fashioned.
It is old fashioned. But think of it this way; If say two years from now one this kind of draft-law was passed with the support of the general public (as stated in the OP), it would have to be old-fashioned. Too many old fashioned people in charge, too many old fashioned would vote against it and if women were to be forcibly included in the draft, it would cause some amounts of outrage in both sexes.

I explained parts of this before, but seeing as this thread has grown to over 10 pages, I guess most can't be bothered to read them all. Quite understandable that.

And for the Gazillionth time, sniping isn't long-range combat. Those of you who joke about it: this particular cow has been beaten to death, resurrected, killed, reresurrected and rebeaten to death with fluffy kittens. It got old after the first two times.

And to those who honestly think sniping is long-range combat or that more than 0,1% of all the people in a draft would even have a hope of completing a snipers training: Get real. Long range combat means artillery, rocket-artillery, air-force, naval gunnery etc. It means that if you get your way you will never see the enemy even with binoculars. It means your enemy will never get within 20 miles of you if you have anything to say about it. Sniping is hard business, requiring excellent nervs, willingness to saty behind enemy lines without support and readyness to stay in the same spot perfectly still for at least 36h. It means you have to be a crack shot with a rifle before the training even begins. In most places to even qualify for sniper training you have to hit the equivelant of a human head from 400 meters (about 1200ft [?])away with a bolt-lock rifle and no optics, just iron sights, at least 8 times out of ten. You'd have to be able to run with that rifle for 2800m in under 12 minutes, 3000m without the rifle. Or more, depending on the country.

It means having near-perfect aim, excellent physical condition, nerves of steel and balls of titanium. And that's before the training where the fail rates move around 40 percent or more...

LONG RANGE COMBAT IS NOT SNIPING