Poll: What is a friend to you?

ohya

Oct 2, 2014
What is a friend to you?

For me it is somebody that I see and speak to frequently. Even if they dont necessarily see me as their Friend, just the fact that we are in touch frequently is enough to me.

What about you? It'd be nice if you take the time to explain what's a Friend to you. Its a very variable term and has many different definitions for different people, eh?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I feel social media has diluted the meaning of the word "friend" quite badly.

These days, you can add someone has a "friend", and then never speak to them again.
So, are they really a "friend" in the traditional sense? I don't believe so.

(Edit: And I just realized this post probably doesn't answer the thread topic, but no matter.)

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Someone who won't question why I'm naked, oiled up, and rubbing myself on their leather couch when they get home from work.

Unfortunately, I've recently discovered that I don't have any friends.

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
I think there are different levels of friends... someone I often do stuff with is a friend. But he may be not on a level with that kind of friend I actually trust and talk about my problems/ask for advice etc.

It's probably individual where you draw the line of calling someone a friend. I wonder, how those kids that completely grew up with social media will handle "friends" one day. Because those 200-400 people in your Facebook friendslist can't be all trustable friends.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Caiphus said:
Someone who won't question why I'm naked, oiled up, and rubbing myself on their leather couch when they get home from work.

Unfortunately, I've recently discovered that I don't have any friends.
Pft, have you been naked, oiled up and rubbing yourself on everyone's leather couches when they get home from work?

Heh, film that and it could be the next "Where the hell is Matt?"

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Pft, have you been naked, oiled up and rubbing yourself on everyone's leather couches when they get home from work?

Heh, film that and it could be the next "Where the hell is Matt?"
That was where that particular dumb joke was headed, yes.

I'm glad I was able to make you snort. I can only hope that it was with mirth and not derision, but we can't always get what we want. Like unmolested leather upholstery

ohya

Oct 2, 2014
So Friend is a very subjective thing huh? Like some people would even consider someone they barely know as a friend, while others would have much higher "requirements" than that in order to consider someone as their Friend.

I really wonder how useful that term is anymore. I mean, as long as you enjoy speaking to those you are staying in touch with and have fun together, then whether you are friends or not doesnt matter, right? And if they like, for example(based on a true story though), one day decide they are not going to talk to you anymore, and be rude when you try to talk to them, then that basically means they've "ended" that friendship, eh?

I gotta admit, I cant even count the amount of times I was betrayed by my Friends in one hand. I'd need like 50 hands to count that. It's just....so ugly how people pretend to be nice, but in the end, they turn their backs on you. I guess someone here atleast can relate to that in some aspect.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No "all of the above" well most of them?

Sure a "friend" is someone who you talked to quite often and enjoyed your company around them but a good friend is someone who appricate just the way you are.

No offence to the first "friends" but they are often the ones I have little in common with while a good friends are someone who I can talked to hours upon hours and also when just thinking about them make me smile.

Also the stuff from MLP:FiM did reevaluate me on how to be a better friend.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
For me, a friend would be someone I could trust and spend time doing fun activities together with.
I must point out that I voted that I don't believe in friends.

I've been without friends for about 10 years now. I manage okay, most of the time.
It could just be that I've had a long series of bad luck or unfortunate events.
Even if I would be able to find anyone that shares my hobbies and interests, I would have to overcome my ingrained mistrust.
Not an easy task.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Wish we could tick specific options. Ah well.

I need to be able to trust them. I can't really call someone a friend with honesty if I don't think they can keep a secret or not use it against me.

I'd also like to have fun with them. If we're not having fun, then we just aren't real compatible I guess.

One thing that completely invalidates me having friendship with another person, is if their idea of "having a good time" is constantly putting each other down. Sorry, but if you can't have fun without putting down your mates, you're just shit as a person.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I tend to grade my friends by how much I trust them. A friend is someone who won't use secrets against me, intentionally or otherwise, and who I can trust to do what's best for me. I'd still call other people who I am on good terms with friends, but not to the same level.
I once knew a guy who classified everyone he had ever met into a series of classes- those he disliked, aquantainces, lesser friends, friends, good friends and best friends. He had a spreadsheet and everything with all of them on it, and used it to decide who to spend time with and what presents people merited at birthdays and christmas. I rose as high as 'Good Friend' before a poorly timed joke sent me down to aquantaince, where I've been since.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I wouldn't know, I don't have any.

I guess I thought a friend was someone who always has your back. If someone is an asshole to my friend I will always back up my friend explicitly, even if it's in my best interest to stay out of it. Of course when the situation is reversed, they'll tell me how much they support me when it's between the two of us, but back down from confrontation. It's probably my fault for not being good enough. Anyway, I've given up on that stuff now. It's easier being completely alone.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
One through six seem like decent requirements.

Somebody I can go to ask for help, advice, questions and so on
Somebody I have fun with
Somebody I can always trust
Somebody I enjoy their presence around me
Somebody I do things together with
Somebody I know very well and that the friendship is clear and known for both sides
A relationship lacking any of those things would fall into the realm of "acquaintance" for me. There is, of course, more to it than that... but I'd say each of my friends meet all of those.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
A friend is someone who chooses to spend time with you while waiting for an advantageous circumstance before stabbing you in the back. There is a reason that stories of wise men always seem to be about hermits that live far up in the mountains away from everyone else.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
I'm a weird guy, so I base actual friendship on mutual trust to the exclusion of pretty much everyone else. Everyone else is at best an acquaintance or someone I know of outside of close family. For example, I have lab partners I can talk to and can enjoy what we're doing in class, but once I leave I have no desire to interact further. I know or remember pretty much nothing about them and I share a lot less about me. That's pretty much how it's been as long as I can remember, although lately I've tried harder to remember names. It makes future interactions less awkward.