Poll: What is the MAIN point of living?

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
I was watching the Rifftrax short "If Mirrors Could Talk" and emo!clownboy ("we are all born astride a grave") got me to thinking...just what do people think the MAIN point of life is? I know there is no 'right' answer, but curious what you live your life for. I'd like to think it is to be happy and enjoy life, but with illness and tragedy and financial issues, that is very very hard for many of us--even if we do have happiness, I don't think anyone can say they were happy for 90% of their life (well, unless you never had any problems). Also, in my more religious moments, I'd like to think we suffer now for something better later, but then I also have my atheist moments. So...opinions please?

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I don't think there is a 'Point' or reason for life, but that shouldn't stop us from enjoying it while we're here. Your own happiness should be your life's goal.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
The pursuit of happiness and to make a difference for someone else is what I live for

delet

Nov 2, 2008
The 'main' point of life is procreation. Live, mate, protect young till you can send them out to procreate, die.

The reason for life that I have decided to take is, quite simply, Love. I wish to find someone I can love for the entirity of my life. That's what gives me meaning and so it works for me.

Lady Nilstria

Aug 11, 2009
We were created to be loved by God and to love God. That sounds delightful to me, though we kind of botched that up just a little bit.

What is called the "Great Commission" in the Bible, we are to go proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. So that the world might be saved, and love God so that He can love them without interference.

All comes back to God's love for us.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
I live soley to help others. I didn't get the best chip in the pot, but that doesn't mean others have to suffer as well. So I just end up helping people.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
To make others happy, be happy while doing it, and to serve Souplex.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
We were created to be food for the Old Ones

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
I think that <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g>Carl Sagan's a pale blue dot somes this up pretty nicely

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Lady Nilstria said:
We were created to be loved by God and to love God. That sounds delightful to me, though we kind of botched that up just a little bit.

What is called the "Great Commission" in the Bible, we are to go proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. So that the world might be saved, and love God so that He can love them without interference.

All comes back to God's love for us.
Must. Resist. Urge. To.... Blllerelrarrgggeh. *cough*.

OT: I tend to lean towards the more scientific answer. To fuck the opposite sex, and to fuck up the competition.

But i also find a more personal approach to life. I think, therefore i am. I learn, therefore i become more than i was. I'm trying to do this as much as i can before i die. It really helps me enjoy my stay on this pale blue dot.

MrPandarium

Nov 25, 2009
Aby_Z said:
The 'main' point of life is procreation. Live, mate, protect young till you can send them out to procreate, die.
That, plus the added benefit of enjoying it.

Mackie Stingray

Feb 15, 2010
Dorian6 said:
We were created to be food for the Old Ones

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
This is awesome.

My wife says:
"We were created by an abomination born of misplaced desires because Sophia wished to create without her partner, and to seek to be closer to the Unchangeable One. So our purpose is to free ourselves from this trap of matter to ascend with our spiritual energy back to the Plemora."
She's had her head in Gnostic scriptures for a final paper these last few weeks. It's quite endearing.

For my part, I say, it's threefold.
1. Try to be happy. There's enough misery out there, why make more?
2. Try to make others happy.
3. (This is surprisingly important) Try to make the species outlive the planet. Because if there's no point to existence, we may as well make that pointlessness awesome.
Edit: Hmm. Yes, I think the Pale Blue Dot synthesizes this viewpoint well.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I was once ambushed by some lovely gentlemen with this very same question. I thought they were lost or something and wanted directions. I ALWAYS get asked for directions probably because the city I live in is very confusing...

Anyway I told my new Mormon friends that I was not only agnostic but also a nihilist.

They were very disappointed but felt sure that by taking their flyer and visiting the website I would be converted in no time.

I think I'm a Mormon now...

Damn it.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Depends,
  • Atheists/Supporters of Evolution= To live long enough to continue the human race
    Creationists= To do the work of God and to spread the word to others, all to secure your immortal soul.

I cant speak for other religions, but im assuming its all the same. So to sum up, the main point of living is either, live long enough to make more people to ponder this question or go through life as a trial to determine what you get afterwards

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Try to be happy while trying to make other people happy too. Suffering is a part of life, it shouldn't be the main point of it.

I've come to the conclusion that happiness is what you make of it, so why not try to always be happy?