Poll: What is the MAIN point of living?

ZergInfestedJesus

Oct 31, 2007
From a personal standpoint: Whatever the hell you want it to be.
From a evolutionary standpoint: To pass on your genes.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I think the main point of life is to work hard, have a few laughs and at the end of the day be able to say "I enjoyed my life".

Oh yes and helping others and the world around you is an important factor in that too, I mean sure you could work hard transforming your backyard into 19th century Europe, have a few laughs pretending to be Napoleon and at the end of the day say "Being Napoleon was cool" but would it have improved the world or made others happy?

Vigus92

Mar 13, 2010
The point of living is the same for every creature on the planet. To pass on your genes.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
wouldyoukindly99 said:
I don't think there is a 'Point' or reason for life, but that shouldn't stop us from enjoying it while we're here. Your own happiness should be your life's goal.
First answer summed it up nicely.

Samuel Cook

and Greg Puciato.
Jan 2, 2009
Well, without my ambition I'd honestly have no reason to live, but not many people are ambitious so I wouldn't call that for everyone. Although at times I can't help thinking that some people would be better off dead, as they have done nothing with their lives. Yeah, my ambition is the only reason I carry of living, and once I've reached my goals then who knows, I might just keel over.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Life is life. There is no point to it, other than fueling other life.

Lust

Mar 23, 2010
Free will, and just experiencing life is key. Everything else will fall into place.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I don't think life has a point.

Biologically speaking life is it's own purpose, and your only job on this planet is to stay alive and have children, so that your lineage will continue after you're gone.

Personally, I don't even think the biological purpose fully applies. While humans are still bound to many primal instincts (more than most of us think), we're often able to take a step back from them. An example here might be people who make the conscious choice not to have children, or who choose to adopt rather than create their own offspring.

So while technically our purpose is no different from that of any other organism, on a more personal, philosophical level I prefer to think that life doesn't have any point, goal, or reason. Sure, you can strive to be happy or to make others happy in a million different ways, and those are certainly Good Things, but there's nothing saying that that's what you're supposed to do. I think that life itself has no meaning, because that leaves you free to find your own meaning. If you find meaning in helping others, that's great. But if you find meaning in earning as much money as you can, that's just as good (in this context, at least). If you don't find any greater meaning at all and are content in just living your day-to-day life, again, that's just as good an answer as anyone else's. The point isn't to find the 'right' way to live, but simply to live your way.

No reason to live, but I like it that way.