Poll: What is the MAIN point of living?

walker.au

Dec 28, 2008
I live to serve as a warning to others,
a life of sex drugs rock'n'roll & driving too fast (sometimes all at once), will leave you as a battered shell of a man.

Sir_Tor

Nov 29, 2009
I hate to say it but, sex. The point of living is to make sure that our species lives on. And sex is involved if you didn't know that ;)

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
To consume.

Mostly bacon and whiskey.

I, however, am meant to invent Mr. Genuis's Bacon Flavored Whiskey.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
I don't know yet, I haven't reached that moment/part/stage of life that in retrospection would seem like it was the main point of MY life. So for now I'm going with what society has deemed best.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
There isn't some objectively correct answer to this. Your life is the sum of your decisions, and you find what's meaningful to you along the way.

I kind of like Emily Dickinson's idea in "Not in Vain":

"If I can stop one Heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain
If I can ease one Life the Aching
Or cool one Pain

Or help one fainting Robin
Unto his Nest again
I shall not live in Vain."

Sad how often we humans judge ourselves relative to other people, but there you are.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
The point of life is just to live.

There is no specific purpose for life, we're just one species that got lucky and managed to build an empire across the world. If we hadn't evolved in this way, and stayed as apes, some other kind of animal would be in our place right now.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
To try and conquer the world ofcourse, still waiting for my cloning facility to be finished though.

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
I think its a mix of being happy, and helping others.
mostly being happy, but dont completely neglect other people.

notevenhere

Mar 23, 2010
To mature what surrounds us. Maybe in the future, there will be some giant robot war threatening to destroy the universe and we will be the only line of defense. There is so much time left to find out, procrastinate it away in my opinion.

Also, video games.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I like to help others. When I was in high school, I never wanted to work with people, but then I found out I happen to be really good at it. I like to save lives, and I think I'm doing good by doing that. I don't expect to change the world or anything like that, but if I can make my own little part of this world a a little better then how I found it, then I have lived a good life and will die happy.

Apr 24, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:
I don't think life has a point.

Biologically speaking life is it's own purpose, and your only job on this planet is to stay alive and have children, so that your lineage will continue after you're gone.

Personally, I don't even think the biological purpose fully applies. While humans are still bound to many primal instincts (more than most of us think), we're often able to take a step back from them. An example here might be people who make the conscious choice not to have children, or who choose to adopt rather than create their own offspring.

So while technically our purpose is no different from that of any other organism, on a more personal, philosophical level I prefer to think that life doesn't have any point, goal, or reason. Sure, you can strive to be happy or to make others happy in a million different ways, and those are certainly Good Things, but there's nothing saying that that's what you're supposed to do. I think that life itself has no meaning, because that leaves you free to find your own meaning. If you find meaning in helping others, that's great. But if you find meaning in earning as much money as you can, that's just as good (in this context, at least). If you don't find any greater meaning at all and are content in just living your day-to-day life, again, that's just as good an answer as anyone else's. The point isn't to find the 'right' way to live, but simply to live your way.

No reason to live, but I like it that way.
Very well said.

I agree entirely. I don't think that biological imperative constitutes a reason to live...it's incidental.

Being alive is enough, I don't need a purpose. Infact, I'm glad I don't have one. Thinking that life has set goals only causes unnecessary stress, means that you are forever judging yourself(based on what others are doing/"achieving")and generally taking yourself far too seriously.

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
The point of my life is to be as happy as possible for as long as possible. Also, my main passion in life if pressing buttons. I love buttons. Never know what they could do... I love pressing buttons I find in the street or just left unguarded in buildings...

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
To have fun and try to be happy. I've given up trying to find any deeper meaning because when I go down that path I just end up getting depressed/talking shit. Sure we have illness and tragedies will occur but these hard times are there to make the good times even better. All about balance.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
From a non-theistic point of view perhaps none.
Biologically the only reason we exist to procreate is because the lifeforms that came about which had a drive and ability to reproduce were the ones that reproduced (much like the reason, in all of the galaxy why we're on the only planet perfect for life is because this planet could sustain life so we could not have evolved anywhere else).
I suppose the best way to put it would be to say you make your own purpose in life.

I'm sure deep down many of us long for a deeper purpose for our existance though...