Poll: What is your favorite RTS and what makes it good?

Wolves

Feb 18, 2008
Supreme Commander. Too bad support for it was absolute crap. Having massive amounts of units was so awesome.

Starcraft 2 is pretty good also. I hate the campaign, but the multiplayer is addictive.

G96 Saber

Jun 5, 2011
RUSE

Yes, i know it's not on the scale other games mentioned in this thread but i just don't care. The most important part of any game is gameplay and if anyone thinks differently their fucking idiots. For obvious reasons.

Anyway, RUSE's gameplay is as perfect as I've ever come across in an RTS. Bigger games like Starcraft and Command and Conquer seem overloaded with unfair units and buildings. Their like a big hammer; and RUSE is a Katana, a Katana as sharp as a scalpel.

Combine that with a decent story and a practical, yet beautiful menu and command system and is just awesome.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
Homeworld.

Great story, great soundtrack, 3D movement worked great and after all these years it still looks good. Excellent units (multibeam frigates FTW) and mechanics too.
I concur.

Although the salvage corvette was game-breakingly overpowered, and I think Cataclysm was better and had a much better soundtrack.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Ralen-Sharr said:
DSK- said:
Total Annihilation. I loved the amount of units you could have, the resource system (metal and energy), the graphics - first ever 3D RTS - and it came out in 1997!

I loved trying to create the most impenetrable bases and turtling in that game. Music was fantastic too.
Supreme Commander (the first one) has a very similar feel.

That is also why Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander are my 2 favorites. Units that maneuver during combat and getting resources isn't a major pain in the butt. I was horribly disappointed with SupCom2. Feeling of the original was just ruined.
From what little I was able to play Supreme Commander (the blasted thing kept crashing and BSOD'ing on me, so I gave up) I liked. A few years later I was able to get ahold of Forged Alliance which I had no issues with, and enjoyed playing it.

The one thing I didn't like about Sup Com was that the majority of the weapons were lasers and missiles. In TA you had various cannons, lasers, missiles, rockets etc and it just felt so bad ass seeing a load of your battleships shell a group of units, seeing berthas and intimidators missing and hitting enemy units and just being able to see the scale of firepower being brought to bear. For me, that isn't really present in Sup Com 1/FA.

As for Sup Com 2....as far as I am concerned it doesn't exist :D

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Warcraft 3. Haven't played many RTS's but Warcraft 3 will always hold a place in my heart. For one I can put stuff where ever. 2 It was my second RTS (Warcraft 2 being my first). Sure starcraft two was fun but It just can't compete with warcraft. I WANT WARCRAFT 4!!!!!!!!

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
My favorite is probably Starcraft 2. Dawn of War Dark Crusade is a runner up, but I like the story in SC2 more than DoW: DC

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Not sure what is my favorite, but the entire Company of Heroes series was good, as was Command and Conquer Generals and of course the Dawn of War series.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I absolutely love the Total War series, and have been playing online since Empire.

Unrealmaster287

Dec 19, 2011
Does anyone know an RTS that is like generals zero hour, i have been searching for decades for such a replacement but no luck?

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Company of Heroes is by far my favorite; according to Steam I have over 400 hours played in CoH: Opposing Forces. A lot of critics agree with me because CoH is the highest rated RTS of all time according to Wikipedia.

The main reason I like CoH so much is that the focus is on unit tactics and not which player can click the fastest. Resources do matter, but they rely on map control and not on the number of workers or money-producing structures you build. If you try to turtle and tech in CoH you will lose every game. Just blindly spamming doesn't really work either (aside from a few broken units *cough* Kangaroo *cough* which were eventually patched) when one well-placed machine gun can suppress several dozen infantry.

Also, I love the unpredictability of CoH compared to most RTS games. In Starcraft, if two opposing marines attack each other, the one who hit first is guaranteed to win the fight every time if neither unit is upgraded. In CoH that kind of predictability is thrown out the window because there are three types of cover, buildings to garrison, and a lucky artillery shot can sometimes wipe out an entire squad regardless of their health. The first combat units you get access to can be useful and deadly to the very last minutes of a game. Just ask any Axis player whose StuGs and Panzer VIs were immobilized by well-placed Vet 3 US Riflemen hiding in green cover throwing sticky bombs.

Finally, CoH has a great progression of scale. The small infantry battles of the early game are just as nerve-wracking as the late game when dozens of soldiers and tanks are duking it out amidst artillery bombardments and strafing aircraft.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Naeras said:
Company of Heroes, as the game shifted the focus from resource hogging and unit spamming to a more tactical game where positioning and thinking were more important than APM.
This. I just wish they'd make Dawn of War 3 on these terms. DoW 2 was great and I loved the move from base building but it just didn't quite hit the highs of CoH for me. A pity since I'm not a fan of real warfare as a setting.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
9thRequiem said:
Total Annihilation.
In general, for Game/Gameplay mechanics: I just like the development of the overall battle, the different assault options including long distance bombardment, and also being able to use your carrier aircraft to hijack enemy units then self-destruct.
Fuck Yeah!!!

I enjoy me a lot of TA, so much so that I never got around to playing Starcraft. So when Supreme Commander came out, you can imagine how stoked I was. Let's just say I wasn't disappointed. Supcom was everything I liked in TA with a few new additions. Now that Supcom has completely spoiled me with the Strategic Zoom feature, I can't really enjoy another RTS because I just don't feel capable of managing all my units.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Rack said:
Naeras said:
Company of Heroes, as the game shifted the focus from resource hogging and unit spamming to a more tactical game where positioning and thinking were more important than APM.
This. I just wish they'd make Dawn of War 3 on these terms. DoW 2 was great and I loved the move from base building but it just didn't quite hit the highs of CoH for me. A pity since I'm not a fan of real warfare as a setting.
On the flipside though, CoH 2 is not that unlikely right now. Relic has done a lot of work in helping revitalizing CoH, a 5 year old game, over the last year. They've also semi-confirmed that they're working on a little something right now that they will unveil in not too long, and that buzz from helping CoH back up really doesn't hurt them if CoH 2 is on the way...