Poll: What is your favourite kind of sword?

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
Versatility of the bastard sword is definitely getting my vote, although the cutting power of a Katana is awesome and I think their handles rest better in my hand than that of a bastard sword so it really depends, am I fighting someone else with a sword, or am I just cutting up cheap hobos with long sticks or something? Bastard sword for the former Katana for latter

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
That sword the handle of which is called a "stock", which you shove into your shoulder and aim. You pull a lever that causes a pin to hit the back of the most ingenious disposable device that consists of a gunpowder shell and a metal slug, causing the slug to fly out of the tip of that sword. No idea what that kind of swords is called, though.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
CrazyJew said:
That sword the handle of which is called a "stock", which you shove into your shoulder and aim. You pull a lever that causes a pin to hit the back of the most ingenious disposable device that consists of a gunpowder shell and a metal slug, causing the slug to fly out of the tip of that sword. No idea what that kind of swords is called, though.
Gun sword?

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Definitely the Scimitar. I've always been attracted to ancient/medieval middle-eastern cultures and their warfare certainly plays a part in that. The Scimitar, being one of the more popular swords that gained fame and usage in the east, is by far my favourite. It is usually fast, packs a big punch and just looks freakin' awesome. I mean, just look at this shit, man;

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
flaming_squirrel said:
CrazyJew said:
Gun sword?
Touché. I am literally slowly clapping.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
On it's own, a longsword would probably be the most versatile weapon. I would prefer using a shortsword or dagger, but neither are on the list.

Charvale

May 17, 2008
In the hands of a true practitioner of the sword, any of them can be deadly (especially those who focus on a specific weapon type) like a fencer with a rapier would be just as deadly as a Samurai with a katana, or a certain Dark Elf with his scimitars. Still, I prefer the broadsword simply because it doesn't matter if you've been learning from the beginning, or if you are beginning, this weapon can not only dish out a beating, but take it as well and not break after a dozen or so hits on armor or other weapons, like the longsword and bastard sword.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I put up broad sword, because although I've trained a bit with longswords, and other bladed weapons, I've trained more extensively in escrima, and the stick length I'm used to is the same length as your average broadsword, so I'd be using either a broadsword or two of them, depending on the situation as I could turn my entire forward 180 into a blur of slicy death with a pair of them but against a single opponent I'm more comfortable with one weapon.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
A sword? Pff. Give me a hunting knife any day.

I'm actually not kidding, a hunting knife is quicker, more efficient, lightweight, and useful in multiple situations. Except zombies, not quite as useful there.

Sep 13, 2010
I keep hearing people say they would use a zweihander but those things are heavy, 7-8 pounds doesn't sound like much but swing, block, and deflect with it for a bit and your shoulder is gonna hurt. I personally favor smaller lighter blades like the Kukri or the wakizashi, a pair of such weapons would do nicely.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
CrazyJew said:
flaming_squirrel said:
CrazyJew said:
Gun sword?
Touché. I am literally slowly clapping.
...damn, late to the party...
First thing that popped into my head on that description was
"that's not a sword, it's a polearm"

Spitfire-IX

May 26, 2011
Épée, because it is the only one I can actually use IRL.

yes, you may be readying to take my head off, but I'll jab and earn me some points before I go

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
Rapier or sabre. They're elegant and they get the job done. Also, I know how to use both so that pretty much decides it for me.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
i see you included no Chinese weapons

sword wise- Chinese Broadsword but i do want training with their Longsword as well.