Poll: What is your opinion on the Metal Gear Solid storylines?

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
OK, I originally wrote this, but now I'm so ashamed of it that I'm going to rewrite it.

Do you like the Metal Gear Solid Storylines?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I understand it well enough, and for the most part, it works great with the steal-action flavor of the games. But denying that the MGS series storyline is convoluted is like denying that the holocaust ever happened; no one will believe you, and there's a million Wikipedia pages that will prove it.

Yooz

Mar 12, 2009
Love the long cut-scenes, but then I am a big movie buff. Stories are generally alright.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Its good...but it has Raiden in it, and Raiden sucks ass...and so does half of Metal Gear Solid 2.

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
I don't know the complete story as I have not played the 4th but so far I do love it. It's convoluted, far fetched and awesome.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
I have only finished MGS4, and just started MGS3 and really like the story in both of them.

I played the first hour or so of Metal Gear Solid and liked it, and played about the first five minutes of MGS2 (Snake's part) and thought it was crap.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I don't care what anyone says, I love the Metal Gear Solid series's story. It may be convoluted, confusing at times, badly implemented, but we practically expect it from the games nowadays.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
I loved MGS3...I think that is still the best MGS so far. Best storyline, and follows the legendary Big Boss. I got so involved with MGS3. MGS2 wasn't so good.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
The story is poorly told, constantly repeated to make sure you got it, explained 600 different ways while Kojima was still deciding which versions to retcon out, and really at the end of the day wasn't all that special.

Gamers generally accept this because we're not used to stories taking place in games. Sure, we have "action movie" or "generic space opera" stories a fair amount, but it's rare to get anything more complex, so people fawn over MGS's storyline as the Sophie's Choice of our medium. The problem therein being, as already expressed, that Kojima had (at its bones) a relatively simple storyline going, but he's so bad at telling it that the complexity goes off the scale.

So no, I didn't care for it. You get the same "epic" moments in a bankrupt storyline game like Gears of War, with the added advantage of getting to spend most of the game playing the game. If you have to spend over seven hours explaining something that I could break down in twenty minutes, you're doing it wrong.

- J

AFdrft

Jul 6, 2009
I personally love everything about it. The depth of the story just draws you in so much, but you need to pay so much attention to it that it's pretty impossible to sit down and play casually. I personally really like the cutscenes, you just need the time to actually sit down and watch them.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I loved it. Except I didn't like that Meryl ended up with that Johnny guy, or that Snake had to die.