Poll: What is your opinion on the Metal Gear Solid storylines?

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I think the story of the series got worse with time - not literal dates of release, mind you, but the time as related to the franchise. Thus:

MGS3 = MGS1 > MGS2 >>>>> MGS4

Oddly enough, I find the same exact trend with the characters/bosses as well.

Ocelot/Boss/Volgin/End/EVA = Liquid/Ocelot/Mantis/Wolf/GreyFox > Solidus/Vamp/Raiden/Rose >>>>>>> Liquid Ocelot + rehashed bosses from previous games.

I never would have thought that joining two of my favorite video game characters - Liquid Snake and Revolver Ocelot - would make for such a shitty combination and lousy story.

In sum, aside from the last game, I've loved the story. Sure it wrapped up many loose ends, but to me it seemed like Kojima tried to do TOO much and ended up only doing a little of it well.

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
I've been with the first three games, unable to see the fourth due to having no PS3. But I don't mind, I'm happy stopping at that point sticking with the first three and I loved them all.

First one will always keep my mind blown when I was playing it, 10 years old, absolutely in blindstruck awe at how deep and informative it became. Even at that age I didn't skip a cutscene.

[Insert Name Here]

Nov 26, 2009
I'd have an easier time understanding what kind of mood Mona Lisa was in.
All the bloody acronyms. PMCs, SOPs, EMTs, SoBs, etc.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
I like the storyline. What I don't like is how Hideo Kojima always throws in bits to break immersion and remind you that you're playing a video game (referencing the console the you're on, etc...)

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
I really liked how #4 tied up the stories from the 3 previous games. Each sequel lived up to my expectations. A fantastic series overall. The cutscenes are long, but at least you can skip them, unlike some older games (Final Fantasy 10).

Aug 25, 2009
Love, but love in an odd way. I only ever played the first game all the way through, and when MGS4 was finally released I went back and watched every cutscene from the beginning on youtube.

This was basically the entire basis for my argument that MGS would actually honestly work better as a series of films. I don't say I because I don't like the gameplay, I just think that the way the story is told, that odd sense of movie quality which exists anyway, is more suited to a purely visual medium.

I don't think it's an interactive movie, I don't think it's a bad game, I just think that the gameplay could have been put to another story easily enough, and the story could have been moved into a movie and become better. Since this thread is about the story though, I'll say that I loved it, and preferred it in a purely visual medium.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I only started playing the series from MGS4, so I had no idea what was potting. maybe I'll start playing from the first game one day.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
MGS1 - kicks ass. Perfect.

MGS2 - good untill they make a fucking mess at the end of the game. I mean, what were they thinking?

MGS3 - good, no unnecessary pseudo complicated crap unlike the previous one.

MGS4 - horrible. The worst MGS regarding the storyline. The animations were way too long and most of them were just some kind of hommage to the previous games. Also, they tried to put every single character from the franchise into this installment. I mean, what the hell? They should have made a NEW GAME, not a mix of all the previous ones.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Love^^ but I admit MGS4 is more for the fans of the previous games, however it showed what the ps3 can do=P I mean it looks awesome:D

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
MGS1 has a pretty run-of-the-mill storyline, if you ask me. MGS2 and 3 are the ones that really have something unique and brilliant about their stories. 4 is just meh all round, and Portable Ops is pointless until the VERY end, where it has a brief moment of amazing.