Poll: What is your opinion on the Metal Gear Solid storylines?

sammi43055

Feb 23, 2010
I know that for some the story and long cut scenes really suck, but I really enjoyed it. The story really interested me (even if it was not perfect.) I have played all of the games and the cut scenes add to the effect. I actually cannot imagine playing those games without the hours of my life taken away by cut scenes. The game and the scenes really pulled me in. I know some of you hate them but I still really enjoy them.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
If we're talking Metal Gear Solid 4, scrap the recap montages and the forced playable parts (they felt forced anyway, so it can be called a game) and you've got yourself a kick ass film.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Fun games, convoluted and pompous storylines. Just because the cutscenes are long doesn't make them good, or even full of meaning. They lack subtlety.

brucelee13245

Oct 25, 2009
I Stomp on Kittens said:
I've never played MGS
Shame on you...

OT- I love the backstories on the characters the best, and tho the story is wacky, i have to admit it its sweet.

Coldfreeze

Jan 14, 2010
I loved mgs 1, i hated mgs 2 and i loved mgs 3. I never bought 4 ( i do not own a ps3)
After two the story got confusing. I never picked up the trail anymore after 3.

richasr

Dec 13, 2007
I love the entire story, but the way it's told ruins it in some ways. I assume it's Hideo Kojima who wrote the actual dialogue, but whoever it is needs to stop and get a proper writing team in, just give them the overall idea of how the story should go, and then leave the actual dialogue to someone who knows what they're doing.

MGS4 was brilliant for me when watching all the cut scenes and story-line tidying up, I got the whole "no fucking way!" feeling when that mostly unexpected thing happened in the end (I forgot how to do spoilers).

I think they should make the games into a proper set of films, have the same story but told slightly differently. The only problem I'd have is if Snake wasn't David Hayter.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
It's a good story, it's got good characters, and the details are fairly creative. I like it. I won't pretend that the length of its cutscenes or convoluted nature of the story aren't flaws, though.

ineedscissors

Oct 24, 2009
love 'em. The Metal Gear Solid story is the most complicated, intertwining, emotional, and suspenseful story ever told in a video game, or anything else for that matter.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
MGS is awesome. Sure there are some bad cut-scenes that shouldn't even exist, some are too long for no reason, and writing is sometimes more then bad but just Japanese dudes being Japanese. I never understood that. Kojima has a great screenplay director as the protagonist, yet he thinks it's better to write the dialogue himself.

MGS3 is probably my favorite video game ever. It's just so epic, and Naked Snake is awesome. I like the atmosphere, it really feels like it's the late 60's. The weapons, the equipment, the HUD and radio, everything just feels authentic. Especially the last cutscene with EVA leaving Snake that message. Kojima may be weird at times, but he's a bloody genius.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Metal Gear Solid 1 was awesome with just the correct amount of cutscene and story coupled with action, it had all the major extras like helicopter fights, sniper duel, bad ass boss fights. Suprisingly it was pretty short as last time i played it (2007ish?) it took like 1-2 hr to complete. Best story of the series by far imo.

Mgs 2 was ok cept for the whole raiden(who seemed to drop out of the sky) deal. And confusing transition after the tanker part in the story. Why you had to download the map for every area also is just weird.
Solidus seemed too much of a background char and Ocelot/liquid = facepalm.

Mgs 3 snake eater. Story here was ok but it goes a bit overboard with supernatural everything more or less and a bit weird reasoning for the bad guys.

Mgs 4 just waaaaay too much movies and cutscenes. ok u like movies but cmon 1hr video about this Weapon dealer guy which u never learn anything meaningful from about, might aswell talk about the weather for a hour. Seemed like the goal of the game was to tie up every single loose end EVER in any of the previous games which is just leaving nothing to continue the series with. Raiden story here also is just wishwashy.
Pretty much agree with yahtzee. it lets u see alot of cool stuff but not actually play the game. And when u get to play its easy and just a small area.

And cmon out of the box 30 mins install time? Unpacking x amount of movie footage no doubt? and between acts that load thing also gaaaaaah. i go mad.

Big fan of the series tho.

ThatJoelGuy

Jul 23, 2008
i dont mind them terribely. 1 and 3 were brilliant 2 was not so good. 4 wasnt bad, but thats more for the fact i got to ride rex and beat up ray.

squirrel505

May 29, 2010
MGS1 is my favourite, it was the first time I ever had the patience to sit down and play a video game for more than just five minutes. Mainly because I wanted to watch the cut-scenes.
MGS2 for me was just epic, I totally understood what the end was about, some people seem to find it confusing. And Raiden was good because I liked watching him get pissed on and slipping on bird droppings.
MGS3's cut-scenes at the time were amazing, it was just lovely! Sokolov, NOV NOV NOV!
MGS4, well I haven't played it yet because the Ps3 is always being used by my brothers, who own it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I don't love it, I don't hate it. It's above the general okay, but below loving it status with me if that makes any sense.

Extreme Pajamas

Apr 2, 2010
The MGS storylines are ridiculous but entertaining when understood. I can't really say that I love them, but I do like them a lot, no matter how insane they may get over the course of the game.

Crapster

Aug 6, 2009
MGS1 was a great game that had a very strong story. It had lots of plot twists, sure, but I don't think it had quite reached the level of craziness that later games in the series would exhibit.

MGS2 was confusing as hell the first time I played it, and I admittedly didn't care much for it. But after I played it a few more times and read some of the extensive analyses that can be found online, I actually learned a lot of important concepts (meme theory, post-modernism, etc) that I never thought a videogame would teach me. Not my favorite in the saga, but I have a lot of appreciation for what it was trying to do.

MGS3 is my favorite in the saga. It wasn't as convoluted as MGS2, due to the fact it was a prequel. I feel like the game lost a lot of the philosophical verve of MGS2, but the fact that it focused more on emotionally involving storytelling made me enjoy it more. Still one of the greatest games ever made!

MGS4 I think actually made things much more convoluted instead of explaining them away nicely. I also feel like it ultimately weakened a lot of the ground that had been covered in previous games all in the name of fanservice. I'd call it the weakest game in the saga.

So in conclusion: MGS has one of the most incredible stories in gaming, but it doesn't end satisfactorily.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
I really liked MGS 1 because it was ahead of it's time, but it went downhill in the second game. Third games was a prequel, so i have no real qualms about it. MGS 4 felt like a rush to tie all plots, and felt about as confusing as the second game.