Poll: What is your stance on JRPGs?

galaxygamer

May 23, 2008
Just like every other genre of video games out there: Some games (of this genre) are awesome while most others are sh'ite. I always got the feeling that when people said, "I hate J-RPGs," I understood that comment as "I hate all derivative, spastic, repetitious dribble that passes as true J-RPG." Of course there are good J-RPGs out there. Any Shin Megami Tensei game for the PS2 ranks pretty high amongst J-RPG players and reviewers alike. Of course, trying to find -- and pay for -- any MegaTen game will require time and a large quantity of cash.

I think finding a good J-RPG out there just takes time and research. Read several reviews from several different internet sites and magazines.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
EcoEclipse said:
JRPGs shouldn't count as anime. They're games, like every other RPG.
Hear, hear! RPGs are RPGs, no matter what you put in front of them. In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether it is a JRPG, WRPG, or even a FPRPG. These types of games are out there for the players to enjoy.

[small]For those of you who don't know what I meant with those last two classifications, they were Western and First-Person, respectively.[/small]

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
I used to be a massive fan, but I've grown a little tired of them now. I don't get access to many of them because I'm an xbox fanboy.
There are some things that were a bit on the annoying side to start with and have just got repetative now. Young, child-like main characters, oversized weapons, silly hair, repetative villans, weedy female characters, annoying child characters, generally bright and pretty characters and backgrounds and daft choices of weapons are starting to go against my grain.
If we started getting more where the hero was a weary, bitter thirtysomething and/or a brutal scar-faced amazon I'd be much more likely to play them.
I like some animae, but I'm very fussy about it. The more the characters look like actual adult people and the less overpowered a character is, then the more I'm likely to like it's style. It's the animae link that I consider one of the main weaknesses of JRPGs.

InvisibleSeal

The Invisible One
May 3, 2009
Cama Zots said:
*snip*
There is nothing wrong with ripping something GOOD off. But continued abuse is a problem. After the success of Halo 2, every game aspired to be its spiritual sequel. If this continued, the gaming world would be very bland and The Lone Wanderer from vault 101 would end the game driving on the top of a massive space ship shooting at vertibirds as they ferry troops for him to run over.
I completely agree - with games the whole point is entertainment, so if the games just stick to some copied "formula" they are so much less unpredictable and fun - which is why games like phsychonauts are so good. I mean, imagine a roller coaster where there are no unexpected turns..

To be honest, it also can seem to degrade the original game, since, if there are other games copying the game, yes it is shown as being good, but at the same time it ends up less original as well. I don't know if this point makes sense to anyone but me, but ah well...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
While I do have a nostalgiac affection for the genre and it's turn-based roots, I will freely admit that JRPG's are a very stagnent sub-genre. They're either "Playable Movies" or "Grind Fests" with the only real exceptions being The Persona series (at the moment). Whereas Western RPG's have gone from being Storyless Grind Fests like the early Ultima Games to broad Sandbox Titles like Oblivion and Fallout 3 or Epic Story Based Experiences that allow the player to Change The Story like the titles from Bioware and Obsidian.

WRPG's have moved a lot, all JRPG's seem to have done since the SNES or PS1 era's is improve their graphics and their battle mechanics.

I don't hate them and quite enjoy them when I'm feeling nostalgic but I really feel that they need to adapt and grow rather than remaining in the same place as they have since the mid 90's.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Generally, Western RPGs are just better in just about every way. Just like every Genre, there are exceptions( my favorite game series is a JRPG)

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
galaxygamer said:
I think finding a good J-RPG out there just takes time and research. Read several reviews from several different internet sites and magazines.
Or just buy fucking Shadow Hearts and be happy. :]

FinalHeart95 said:
I love JRPGs but I hate anime.

Am I weird or something?
Hating "anime" is as weird as "hating book" or "hating film". There's so fuckin many and they're so incredibly different, there's got to be something you like.

A random person said:
Cama Zots said:
If this continued, the gaming world would be very bland and The Lone Wanderer from vault 101 would end the game driving on the top of a massive space ship shooting at vertibirds as they ferry troops for him to run over.
A lot of people would consider that an improvement from what they actually did.
Could it be you're part of this lot of people?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Gladion said:
A random person said:
Cama Zots said:
If this continued, the gaming world would be very bland and The Lone Wanderer from vault 101 would end the game driving on the top of a massive space ship shooting at vertibirds as they ferry troops for him to run over.
Actually I haven't reached the ending because the game crashes on me and I can only fix it by manually turning my computer off and on again. A shame too, since it really was a good game. If only Bethesda could debug for crap.

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
A random person said:
Cama Zots said:
Yeah, I know, that's the down fall of one of my favorite games. It's all right for games to end like that, but not for Bethesda who has a deeply rooted reputation for giving you expansive worlds and oodles and oodles of quests to complete. Fallout 3 just didn't have as much depth as Oblivion, not enough at least to support thousands of hours of game play after the main quest is finished.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Gladion said:
galaxygamer said:
Or just buy fucking Shadow Hearts and be happy. :]

FinalHeart95 said:
I love JRPGs but I hate anime.

Am I weird or something?
Hating "anime" is as weird as "hating book" or "hating film". There's so fuckin many and they're so incredibly different, there's got to be something you like.

A random person said:
Cama Zots said:
I kind of enjoy Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach, but that's it.

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
Japanese games are fine - but most of them are not RPGs.

No interactive storyline = not an RPG. This is not debatable because interactive storyline is what defines an RPG.

Also, hating anime as a whole is pretty easy. Aside from a few gems like Cowboy Bebop and Death Note, most anime is pretty easy to group together as a genre.

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
ZahrDalsk said:
Japanese games are fine - but most of them are not RPGs.

No interactive storyline = not an RPG. This is not debatable because interactive storyline is what defines an RPG.

Also, hating anime as a whole is pretty easy. Aside from a few gems like Cowboy Bebop and Death Note, most anime is pretty easy to group together as a genre.
Yeah, I know. And just because the plot is confusing as hell and unfriendly to anyone so bold as to try and watch the show DOES NOT mean that is an example of excellent story telling, in fact, it should mean the opposite.
And yes, I didn't care for BSG, SG-1, or Lost.

b1u3too

Jul 14, 2009
Well, I'd like to say that I don't like them, but a large chunk of the games I have for portable consoles are JRPG, while my computer harbors western titles like Dark Corners of the Earth. My PS2 (no next gens for this little hobo yet) is the illegitimate child of the two.

I'm indifferent as to where a game comes from when I buy it, but I do look for more involved stories than the fun slicey fun of Prototype. Most of the time the overbearing stories in JRPG's do that for me.

LeadTaco

Oct 30, 2008
Biek said:
I think ive grown too old for them. The usually morale heavy storyline4s just sound dumb to me nowadays. The last JRPG I attempted to enjoy was Valkyria Chronicles and I actually ragequit during the opening intro. But thats also because im a European with an interest WWII history and dislike for Japanese pop culture.
I have not played Valkyrie Chronicles, so I will make not comment towards the games quality.

However, I couldnt help but shudder and blush from emberrassment at the intro cutscene that I youtubed.

Seriously, sooooo many things wrong with that on a technical, writing, and composition level.

And it also seemed so... I don't know, I've seen more saturday cartoons that were less cheesy than that intro. The animations were bad, the dialogue was horrible written. the VAs sounded okay...but just damn.