Poll: What is your stance on JRPGs?

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
What do you think of Japanese Role Play Games and why?

I personally hate everything anime (except for Miyazaki films, but they are refreshingly creative and he doesn't kill his franchises by turning out dozens of sequels, the story line is easy to understand and doesn't try to confuse the audience) but I occasionally find myself buying FF games and their ilk.

Anyway, I don't really care about what I think, I want to know what everyone else thinks.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
I enjoy many JRPG's, such as the Tales series, Skies of Arcadia and Lost Odyssey... One of my favorite genres.

And I don't really get why people compare JRPG's to Anime, cause they ARE different.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
The only JRPGs that I've ever enjoyed were Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem 6,7,8,9, and 10, and The Ogre Battle series. I just don't find most of them interesting, and I just prefer Western RPGs.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I like them, simply because I'm not a fan of open ended choose your own path sort of games, aka WRPGs, I just want it to tell me a story

Tomathy

Jul 16, 2009
i enjoy JRPGS its just finding one as good as final fantasy before number 10

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
I most recently brought a copy of Final Fantasy X, mine was broken and I felt like having a blast from the past. Fun and I suppose I quite enjoy the odd one here and there.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Never interested me In the slightest. I hate all those stupid overpowered moves and the sickenly cute and wholesome main characters. I know there are expections but I am just not interested.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I enjoy them, my favourite genre =)

Mainly because I just started playing them, so the genre appears fresh to me, whilst to others it feels old and repetitive.

ZerOmega

Sep 14, 2008
The older I'm becoming, the less meaning jRPG seem to have. The plots start to sound the same. The characters seem to look alike. Everything just starts to recycle itself. I think I'll go to cry over there now.

egwidalin

May 8, 2009
About 90% of the time, i will prefer a western rpg. But i have played through a couple, wether or not i liked them. My only gripe with jrpgs is that they seem overly flooded with story and wont let me simply... play the game.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
i usually prefer WRPGs, but i've got a couple of JRPGs. i'd probably get sick of them if i had more

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
I hate to say it, but a lot of them just 'feel' like FF rip offs. There are exceptions for this, there are some really good ones like Fire Emblem.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
I prefer Western RPG's (particularly anything from Bioware and to a lesser degree Bethesda) but I've got nothing against JRPG's, now and again a good one comes along after all.

InvisibleSeal

The Invisible One
May 3, 2009
I have watched a few anime, but I don't like them that much to be honest; they just seem like dramas with cartoons, so just like any other shows - except alot of the women have *ahem* enhances proportions, which is very very irritating. At the same time though, they seem okay, just the shows normally aren't anime.

I love JRPGs... but at the same time I love other game genres as well. There are lots of annoying things about most JRPGs just the same as any other type of game, such as:
Cama Zots said:
I hate to say it, but a lot of them just 'feel' like FF rip offs. There are exceptions for this, there are some really good ones like Fire Emblem.
However I will admit that my favourite game is a JRPG, even if people will hate me for it (FFVIII).

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
I love JRPG's, but my favorite is by far Lost Odyssey. The story in that game is just incredible.