Poll: What is your stance on swearing?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Depends on context.

I don't swear, it's just not the way I talk, but if I write something that requires swearing, I'll put it in.

The thing that bothers me about swearing is how dull it usually sounds. Fuck this and fuck that. Where's the imagination?
Also people confusing 'swearing' with 'comedy or 'maturity'.

One of my pet peeves is people sensoring their swearing when writing. Eiher use a word or not, don't write 'F' or f***.

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
Good manners is, rather than a specific set of codes to be followed, really just an extrapolation of the desire not to offend a guest. Any behavior doomed to make the guest uncomfortable is impolite. If there is no way to not offend a guest while nevertheless maintaining one's integrity, one better look somewhere else for friends.

And so it follows. In mixed company, swearing is limited. With those with whom I am quite amicable and trusting, I speak honestly and from the heart; and the heart makes no special distinction between acceptable and unacceptable speech.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
I guess there isnt anything wrong with it in certain uses.

I dont say anything except Damn, Hell, and Shit, and F-bomb and similar words a) cause me physical pain to hear and b) Shall never leave my mouth unless I am about to die/want to royally screw someone over. (This gets to be interesting when my girlfriend has the mouth of a sailer and uses "*****" liberally when describing modern women).

Only times I am not OK with it is when you are around little children. Control your mouths, really.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
People who have the idea that you can "abolish" words from being are deluded, because they're trying to remove a very idea from existence.

That said, a loose tongue and a dirty mouth don't really leave favorable impressions on anyone- use them, if you want/must, but at least have the tact to realize when and where to use them.

I am aware that this quickly enters gray space, and that should just give people more incentive to not use them so casually- by result of not knowing WHEN to use them.

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
I fucking love it.

Seriously though, I think it's quite fine. I do think it's wise to use swear words in moderation, but for different reasons than you might think. If you swear every other word it starts to lose meaning and power, and that's a shame. It's like placing an exclamation mark after every sentence, or using caps-lock all the time. I also think it's good to have an extensive vocabulary of swear words with varying levels of 'intensity' to fit any given context.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
It's all about moderation for me. I used to swear willy nilly but then I watched a person in my class get lectured at, for swearing. No, it wasn't "you must not swear" it was more along the lines of "If you swear that often, it loses all meaning" which pretty much sums it up for me.I swear very rarely so that when I do swear, it maintains its impact.

However, if I stub my toe, then I will spout every single word I can use for the situation

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Words are words. Only idiots and fascists are threatened by the implications of free speech.

The only word I wont use in a context is the "N" word near black people (I'm white.)

I think anyone should be free to use any word, but I personally have no desire to use it around black people as a sign of respect. Blustering it in that context is simply something I have no interest in doing. Plus, I dont think there's much of a chance in conveying that I personally am not trying to be offensive in that context. The simple rule is that if I as a white person am not trying to be offensive, I wont be using that word as a way to describe a black person who isn't a very very close friend.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I view it as I view all language; a tool you use to convey some sort of feeling or opinion. In the case of swearing, this is usually pain, unhappiness, or some level of disbelief or confusion.

I use it when I'm feeling one of those things, and wish for people to know it.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Dont care really words are there to be used im pretty laid back about what people say and what I say as well, its got me into trouble a couple of times but then ive never been any good at reading social situations on these sorts of things.

I actually dont swear a lot but I dont many a conscious effort to not swear in most situations I suppose swearing can bother me if someone uses it all the time but thats more to do with the repetition grating on me some people say fuck as a replacement for every word they dont know (and they dont know a lot) which irritates me but no more than someone saying y`know after every phrase or sniffing after every sentence.

Ive never considered words like damn, sod or hell swear words although apparently some people do as I found out, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Where is the "other" option on the poll?

Regardless, it depends on context. Anyone using it as a substitute for standard language just for the hell of it tend to simply come off as ignorant at best. However, swearing does have legitimate use when it comes to emphasis. Particularly stressful emotions are often difficult to express otherwise.

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
Having grown up and spent my first thirty years in New Jersey, it is required of me. I wouldn't curse at work, in front of my mother or in-laws, but other than that, if the situation calls for it, it can be appropriate.

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
I don't have a problem with swearing but I rarely do it myself. I'm not very good at it. It just doesn't sound right when I swear.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Being that I consider all words equal, I have no problem with swearing.

Context is all that matters. I wouldn't say to my gran, 'that was a fucking lovely sunday dinner gran, you bloody marvelous ****,' but nor would I say, 'That was a delightful sunday dinner gran, you inspiration. It's a shame I couldn't enjoy it on account of my penis leaking some form of mucus; possibly as a result of all that promiscuous sex with prostitutes I've been having.'

There are no bad words, only bad times to say them.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I fucking love a good swear. I swear that one of my most used words is "Fuck". It just rolls of the tongue for me.
I only try to keep it at a minimum when I'm with my girlfriend (although she says she doesn't mind it) or if I'm in a formal environment. Outside of that, expect me to say many fucks without giving a fuck!

Take it away, Revy!