Poll: What Kind of Videogame Ending do you like the most?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
KissmahArceus said:
arc1991 said:
I have found the Halo endings to be great. Each one at leasts makes you feel you have achieved something, for me anyway.

Red Dead Redemption also had a really good ending possibly one of the best. Gears 3 also ended fairly well, a nice end to Marcus's story, can't wait for the prequels to that trilogy now! =D
Aside from Halo 2s ending, I'm a huge fan but that had me perched on the edge of my seat....
"Sir, Finishing this fight" then BLACK. NOTHING.
GODFUCKINDAMMIT
Agree'd, as soon as i finished the second i instantly wanted the 3rd even though it wasn't even out.

Halo Wars even had a decent ending not perfect, but okay. But by far the best was Halo 3's ending <3

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I went for detailed endings because I like knowing everything that happened, particularly RPG games where you, the player, may have changed little things in the world.

I also like "twist" endings but not in the way you described. I like it when something happens that you didn't at all anticipate, that the game felt it was building up to one thing but it turned out to be something else altogether.

I don't like nasty endings (the typical "horror movie" ending) or endings that leave you hanging though.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
I want a long ending that ties the game up neatly, and preferably I want it to be a hero saves the day, and totally DOESN'T die type of ending. Nothing pisses me off more then spending hours and hours on a game just to have the protagonist die.

Edit: Because Tragedy is stupid. Life sucks enough as is without video games throwing more tragedy in my face at the endings.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Depends entirely on the story. People can become so wrapped up in what they consider a 'satisfying' ending that they end up antagonistic towards anything daring or actually good.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Probably a combination of the Detailed ending and the "No Real" ending. I'd like the main story to conclude in a nice detailed and satisfying manner, but afterwords I still want to be able to screw around in the game world.

Marcus Kehoe said:
A detailed ending, because a non detailed ending leads to fan fiction.
Fan fiction tends to happen regardless.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Well, the ending usually has to fit the mood the game set for me. For example, Borderlands 2 really had none, which was fine. I played that game as it was meant to be played; a fun romp across Pandora with big guns with friends.

But, if I had to choose...detailed. I like an ending which provides closure. Not some "TO BE CONTINUED?" shit, or something extremely vague. And, if it is a continuation, then the ending can't just be an abrupt halt (I'm looking at you, RAGE).

I enjoy hearing what has happened after my harrowing exploits. I need to know what happened to my comrades, did the obvious two lovebirds get together, where is my main character and what is he up to, does anybody actually give us any REWARD for saving the world, or do we all keep quiet and just live a simple but fulfilling life?

canadamus_prime said:
Probably a combination of the Detailed ending and the "No Real" ending. I'd like the main story to conclude in a nice detailed and satisfying manner, but afterwords I still want to be able to screw around in the game world.

Marcus Kehoe said:
About summer camps and shit.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
How about an ending with actual closure instead of always leaving it open to a sequel? The kind of ending you never get anymore because everything just be open to bleeding more money from you.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I like the "logical" ending, where most of the main story elements are resolved and the ending is fitting based on how the story and decision made by the character.

I also enjoy the "evil/bad/alternative" ending where despite your efforts, the villain still ends up winning and you get to see the world without its hero.

I could also go for the "unresolved" ending, where the ending is unclear and it leaves the door open to explore certain plot points or continue the story with a new installment.

Mar 30, 2010
Detailed endings where you get to see the effects of your in-game choices and decisions are the most satisfying I would say. Open-ended sandbox exploration endings entertained me for a while, but I began to tire of their lack of closure. Even Fallout 3's original ending - as horribly contrived as it was - was better than the never-ending free roam mode that superseded it in the DLC.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Detailed for me because:
-A Normal ending: I guess this one's alright but why not go the extra mile and make it detailed?

-A "Twist" ending: No. That's a Deus Ex Machina and I hate those. "Hey, remember all that hate towards the main bad guy? Well, he's your dad! Also, he's not the main bad guy! Also, now you can shoot demon laz0rs from your butt! Also, you come from the future!". Plot twists throughout the story are fine but saving them for the end seems like a cheap scapegoat.

-An "Episodic" ending: Can't do it. I will always be left wondering what happened to that other character (See: Jak 3).

-A "Let me explore" ending: Ehh...this doesn't feel like a real ending for me. Once I finish the main story, I feel very little motivation to go back and explore the world once more even if I have a reason to do so.

-A Short ending: Depends on the game. I can't imagine a NES game with an overly complicated ending.

-A "No real" ending: Also depends on the game. An arcade-like game that has no ending (Tetris, Gotham city Impostors, maybe Minecraft) is fine. But a game like Sniper Elite that had some sort of plot should at least have some sort of real ending.

A detailed ending leave you satisfied. It fully makes you feel your actions had an effect or consequence in the world. You're the hero so you bet you wanna know how you left your mark on the world. Unless there's a confirmed sequel to the game (Again, Jak and Daxter), then leaving a plot unfinished, as small as it is, is pointless. Why introduce it in the first place if they're not gonna give it a proper resolution?

Paranoah

Oct 23, 2012
Defently a detailed ending i love seeing how characters in the story progress as time goes on what happens to who i hate when games, books, movies etc. just end it, Gives me such a downer, i am also a fan of twist endings.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I like the Spec Ops The Line/Bioshock kind of twist endings, y'know, where it's not a sequel set up, it's just a damn fine piece of story telling? I also quite like sucker punch endings if there done well. Y'know, like the RDR ending where you spend the entire game trying to save your family and reform and it ends with "BAM! You're dead, here's the credits..."

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I like an ending I couldn't easily predict. That's all really.

That doesn't mean I want the character to just suddenly die though. Something clever, like in Raiders Of The Lost Arc, or funny, like Conquars Bad Fur Day.

Out of all your choices I really have no preferance. Just that it's done well.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
This depends totally on the game. Games like Fallout and the like are best with "let me explore" endings, whereas tight experiences like Fire Emblem need short succinct endings, that wrap everything up.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Smeggs said:
Well, the ending usually has to fit the mood the game set for me. For example, Borderlands 2 really had none, which was fine. I played that game as it was meant to be played; a fun romp across Pandora with big guns with friends.

But, if I had to choose...detailed. I like an ending which provides closure. Not some "TO BE CONTINUED?" shit, or something extremely vague. And, if it is a continuation, then the ending can't just be an abrupt halt (I'm looking at you, RAGE).

I enjoy hearing what has happened after my harrowing exploits. I need to know what happened to my comrades, did the obvious two lovebirds get together, where is my main character and what is he up to, does anybody actually give us any REWARD for saving the world, or do we all keep quiet and just live a simple but fulfilling life?

canadamus_prime said:

Marcus Kehoe said:
But can we at least make it harder for them?

About summer camps and shit.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
A good writer can write an ending that is both detailed and with a twist/cliffhanger etc.

Basically I think in most cases it's lazy not to have a detailed ending.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
How about an ending with actual closure instead of always leaving it open to a sequel? The kind of ending you never get anymore because everything just be open to bleeding more money from you.
I think it is very possible to balance the two

sadly right now I can only think of saints row 2...although pthers like Mass Effect were "planned" I supose
Mycroft Holmes said:
So apart from losing Ash\kaidan in the very first game, there's almost no sacrifice. It's just you winning every time and then suddenly the end shifts the tone very quickly and out of character with the rest of the series for a super paragon player. And that's why people didn't like it, and why a lot of people still have misgivings with their expanded ending DLC.
while I agree with most of what you've said, I kind of disagree here

I think it was definetly a good thing in the story (and seemingly a trend in 3rd installments thease days) for "shit to get real" for shepard...the dreams and such and the deaths of so many charachters...to see the effects on shepard and show his/her human/vulnerable side...when he/she is pretty much broken by the end.That was somthing I hoped for....and for that I was glad

but yeah...the problem was we needed somthing..if not somthign hapyy than answers...as you said the ending did not fit at all

my problem with heroic sacrifce (which I was a afraid they were going to do) was that its really...REALLY cliche and just sad for the sake of being sad..I mean after all that would it REALLY be so bad just to throw us a bone and let shepard live in some way or another? (or just give us some damn answers...seriously Bioware you can HAVE my soul if you want)

the "climb out of the dark pit of defeat" is one of the best moments in any story..but the worst if you fill it in with dirt instead 0_0

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I don't really mind on the ending to be honest...it's just the little sequence you get when everything else is done so i don't place much value in it.