Poll: What piracy is actually doing

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Obviously it's going to impact sales but not to the extent that the industry is making out.The music and movie industries have been complaining about piracy as long as I can remember but neither of those industries have collapsed have they

Dark Templar said:
Because every pirate is automatically a lost sale right?
Exactly.The industry is operating under the false assumption that if people had no other option they would buy new copies.I'm sure that the percentage of people that would buy in that scenario are a minority of the people that pirate

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
While piracy might not influence sales as much as "THEY" are telling us (after all the fact that a certain pirate can't steal a game doesn't mean he will buy it) they certainly create one horrible thing !DRM! (screams of dying maidens).

But personally I really hate pirates, I hate them less if they are not particularly proud with what they are doing. But I hate them A LOT if they are just going around yelling "I pirated this and I pirated that! I'm so l33t!".

Now imagine yourself that games are instead cars. You wouldn't steal a car but just imagine yourself that you do. So every game you steal (ie. pirate) is actually a stolen car, that car has an owner (since when people pirate game they don't really feel like stealing FROM SOMEONE) and since you stole his ride, he fucking hates you. Now after stealing 50 cars you are one very hated mother fucker and you will go to HELL!
Hope that silly little story made you feel better.

DaOysterboy

Apr 4, 2010
PLEASE, stop making piracy threads. It's been done to death. If people think they deserve to get free shit because they're "paying rent and buying food and that's hard to do on a student's income when you have to raise 12 kids" then they're going to get it for free anyways because they feel that entertainment is a right and not a luxury. The law disagrees but what does the judicial system know anyways, right/they're all on the take/insert sweeping unsubstantiated corrupt legal argument stereotype here? If you want to pirate go ahead because people for the most part cannot/will not stop you, but stop coming to the Escapist looking for people to feel sorry for your cheap ass because you didn't want to (yeah, yeah... play the "can't" card again: I don't give a shit) pay for something that everyone else understands should be paid for and DOES pay for because they aren't overly entitled little fucks. Or maybe you think you have revolutionary new arguments on the topic that NOBODY has ever come up with before. Like the fact that some people might not have bought it anyways! How novel! I must make a thread about this BRAND NEW FUCKING IDEA! If you're really so nervous about your online activities that you feel the need to garner support "just in case" someone presses charges on you, and you can at least know that "the public" doesn't really care and maybe that'll hold up in court, then fine. Most people won't care. It's a petty crime in most people's eyes. Now stop making these damn threads to justify the fact that you're cheap/spoiled/entitled/unwarrantedly self-important. If you MUST "stick it to the man"/"play the games I love but I just can't afford it" do so without so much bragging/insecure whining that nobody is really getting hurt. It's an internet forum, not a support therapy group. Search for an old thread and bring it back if you absolutely HAVE to tell the world your "incredibly unique" take on piracy.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Serioli said:
I've heard the logic of 'wouldn't buy it anyway' a few times (not picking on you) and am intrigued about it.

If [John Smith] wouldn't buy game X anyway, why waste the time and bandwidth downloading it and however much time (minutes, hours, days or more) playing it?

Anyone?
I don't pirate new games, only games that are 5 years old or more; but I can give an answer to that that isn't in the frame of "they're stealing because they can."

Two examples. The GTA games are long stories usually about someone going around trying to make it in the city via gangs, drugs, what have you. I don't have a vast knowledge of the story, because I never played it, because I don't enjoy it. Simple matter of opinion. However there is this smal part about it at the end I do enjoy and that's the rampage you can go on using cheats and your arsenal of weapons to cause mayhem until you're killed. Not enough to warrant me buying the game, so I would never buy it. Sometimes though, I don't have a friend's copy of the game on hand and I want to waste some time doing just that, do I go out and buy the game spending $60 on a game I never wanted to play through? Or torrent it, play that one bit, and then not touching the game for a couple months?

Then there are the Modern Warfare FPS games that I don't care for, personally. I don't want to waste my money on that (much rather buy Pokemon instead, but you milage may vary) so I never buy it. But then one day I want to give it a try, test it out just for a day, but I want to try the full game (and not some demo). I have two options: Torrent or Gamefly. I don't have, nor would I use a lot, Gamefly so the more reasonable chioce on my part would be to torrent the game and play it for that one day. Heck, I might even enjoy it enough to go buy the next game, which it a plus to them since I'm not the type of guy to buy an FPS multiplayer.

Then again I don't follow this, I've made it a rule to not torrent anything newer then 5 years old
epunk35 said:
The defense for pirates is "they wouldn't have bought that anyway", if I pirate a song that I really love, then I pirate the rest of the album the song is from, then never buy a record from that artist. They have lost a sale, because I liked their music a lot obviously, but piracy was free and easy. Had the option not been there I would have had to suck up $10 and buy the album. Same with the game if I wanna buy Metal Gear Solid but I pirate it instead and I play it. Sale lost because I don't need it since I've played it.
What if the rest of the album was bad and you only liked that one song and that's all you ended up listening too?

I'm not defending pirates who steal because it's easy and free, them be the scurvy dogs of the high seas. Guys like me are the action hero Pirates that only exist in fairy tales. We're the swashbucklers who like to try things we never tried before without putting ourselves at financial risk. by buying a $60 game we're just going to hate and return to the store for half the amount we payed just to have the dealer resell it and actual damage to sales of games by selling used copies. And if it's a digital download then we're screwed because we can't return it. That's like, 5 whole pizza dinners we can't eat now because we took a chance and lost.

tjcross

Apr 14, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
littlewilly91 said:
I don't think people without enough income should be locked out of entertainment if free copies of it can be made anyway.
If they can't afford games, perhaps they should just get books from a library or whatever. There are other cheaper and legal forms of entertainment.
you're forgetting that videogames are a different form of entertainment not all people like books or movies games are generally more immersive than a movie or book and some people are not in an area were a library is withing a distance that wouldn't cost them to much on gas same with a game store. though it is still wrong to the steal the games but there are reasons for many crimes this included. Some pirates like me pirate a game to get past the drm or to replace a broken disc AFTER buying the game so not all pirates are thieves. Just like any other crime there is no clear evil in it. also if the industry stopped putting the large sum they put into drm then they would make up for the missed sales and stop the people who pirate to avoid the damn drm since once a game is cracked it stays cracked so the drm is just a setback not a way to stop the theft. wow this is a long one.

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
I don't play the sort of games that one would pirate because I really only play single-player games.

That having been said, I like the idea of piracy because I like the idea of studios such as Bungie and Rockstar going out of business and being unable to further pollute the market with their shitty games.

tjcross

Apr 14, 2008
DaOysterboy said:
PLEASE, stop making piracy threads. It's been done to death. If people think they deserve to get free shit because they're "paying rent and buying food and that's hard to do on a student's income when you have to raise 12 kids" then they're going to get it for free anyways because they feel that entertainment is a right and not a luxury. The law disagrees but what does the judicial system know anyways, right/they're all on the take/insert sweeping unsubstantiated corrupt legal argument stereotype here? If you want to pirate go ahead because people for the most part cannot/will not stop you, but stop coming to the Escapist looking for people to feel sorry for your cheap ass because you didn't want to (yeah, yeah... play the "can't" card again: I don't give a shit) pay for something that everyone else understands should be paid for and DOES pay for because they aren't overly entitled little fucks. Or maybe you think you have revolutionary new arguments on the topic that NOBODY has ever come up with before. Like the fact that some people might not have bought it anyways! How novel! I must make a thread about this BRAND NEW FUCKING IDEA! If you're really so nervous about your online activities that you feel the need to garner support "just in case" someone presses charges on you, and you can at least know that "the public" doesn't really care and maybe that'll hold up in court, then fine. Most people won't care. It's a petty crime in most people's eyes. Now stop making these damn threads to justify the fact that you're cheap/spoiled/entitled/unwarrantedly self-important. If you MUST "stick it to the man"/"play the games I love but I just can't afford it" do so without so much bragging/insecure whining that nobody is really getting hurt. It's an internet forum, not a support therapy group. Search for an old thread and bring it back if you absolutely HAVE to tell the world your "incredibly unique" take on piracy.
dude chill this isn't the youtube comments section if you're don't care why are you writing about two paragraphs worth of writing to tell people that. does it really bother you that you always see a pirate related thread in the forum box. it's just on peoples minds right now i could get mad about the fact that my sister wears ankle sock and swear at her for it but i don't because it's petty. and why use the f word so much the f word has lost most of it's sting and effect now-a-days and only proves you are not intelligent enough to do this in a mature fashion and instead go back to what you think is the "coolest" angry word you can find and in case you're wondering yes i do care about pirating i am also a counter-troll so go back to youtube and get off the escapist. if you want to talk like that because all you are proving is that you are either an attention hog, the type of person who punches people to get them to shut up or a troll who just likes to irritate people using simple words and foul language.

Jofrak

May 25, 2008
Best anti-piracy ad ever:
<youtube=3MM0VO3slK8>

It's because getting labelled a pirate makes you feel all Jack Sparrow and swashbuckley. Realistically though, it's been said numerous times and I'd have to agree, a lot of the so called 'pirates' grab a pirated copy more as a full game demo, and if not it'd be something they weren't going to buy anyways.
Alternatively, certain microsoft labelled *coughofficecough* programs are almost essential for decent work (haven't tried open office in a while but yeh =P) and cost a clean fortune.

I think the DRM is starting to get out of hand and with this new idea of one-use codes to try and regain some of the cash through second hand games the 'games companies' are just pushing people towards cheaper alternatives .... we are in the middle of a recession in some places you know =)

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Dark Templar said:
Aby_Z said:
...Or people pirate because it's more convenient and they don't have to pay, regardless of whether or not they support the company. It hurts companies because that's one more sale that company is making and last I checked, loosing money on a sale isn't good for a company.
Because every pirate is automatically a lost sale right?
Well, duh. That's one more game that is taken that hasn't been bought. Of course the company is loosing money off that if someone is getting the game without paying for it. It doesn't matter if 'they weren't going to get the game anyway', it's still a lost sale.

DaOysterboy

Apr 4, 2010
tjcross said:
DaOysterboy said:
dude chill this isn't the youtube comments section if you're don't care why are you writing about two paragraphs worth of writing to tell people that. does it really bother you that you always see a pirate related thread in the forum box. it's just on peoples minds right now i could get mad about the fact that my sister wears ankle sock and swear at her for it but i don't because it's petty. and why use the f word so much the f word has lost most of it's sting and effect now-a-days and only proves you are not intelligent enough to do this in a mature fashion and instead go back to what you think is the "coolest" angry word you can find and in case you're wondering yes i do care about pirating i am also a counter-troll so go back to youtube and get off the escapist. if you want to talk like that because all you are proving is that you are either an attention hog, the type of person who punches people to get them to shut up or a troll who just likes to irritate people using simple words and foul language.
Fine I'll calm down. But a) YES it does irritate me that there is ALWAYS (and there IS ALWAYS) a piracy thread or three in the active forums box. The discussion as I said is way overdone, nobody even TRIES to see the point from other views, and most irritatingly, it's all just talk. b) Ankle socks would make a much more productive discussion. c) The F-word (if you must censor) came out a grand total of twice, and not because I was trying to "sting" anyone or sound cool. The anger bit was probably right on, and yes probably unwarranted, so I apologize for that. d) Youtube, being the epicenter of unwarranted self-importance holds no interest for me.

If you wish to discuss the topic AGAIN then fine. Here are some questions I want answered before it goes any further.
A) Can you contribute anything NEW to the discussion? If not take your games and go home.
B) Why do the pirates cling to the argument that "We'll buy it if we like it." Can you show me any statistical evidence? "I bought such and such after pirating it" isn't good enough, because I have a friend who looked at my game collection and says "Oh you like such and such? You know I could get you anything you wanted for free." Gimme a damn number and not an anecdote.
C) Why do you feel that you shouldn't have to pay for it? If we argue to the extremes, sure piracy probably doesn't mean millions of people who would otherwise buy the product. That's just silly. It also doesn't mean NOBODY who pirated would have bought the product. That's just as silly. Let's just look at the absurd for a moment. If EVERYONE pirated the game who was able to, game publishers would sell maybe a few dozen copies to cracking groups and the rest would download their cracks. Couple hundred bucks in sales for a multi-million dollar game. That doesn't work. So I ask the pirates "why do YOU get special treatment when the rest of us play by the rules?" Inability to pay is not sufficient reason.
D) Why post here? If you have strong feelings for or against piracy why cry about it on the internet? Why not write your representatives or the law firms who are taking these cases on? If you care why not attempt to make a difference.

For people on the other side:
A) Is it a matter of supporting the devs, supporting the economy, or just a moral decision?
B) Do you think people should be excluded from playing games because they're broke?
C) Even if the pirates went away the DRM wouldn't. The problem was addressed, preventative measures were taken. The potential for the problem won't go away so neither will the DRM. Is it worth getting worked up over? It was really inevitable.

My final 2 cents (before I oblige tjcross and find someplace that doesn't need to discuss piracy ad nauseum EVERY DAY): Pirates won't change. They can give reasons and excuses for why they don't pay for things, but they'll just find new ones once they're gone. If it's too expensive, go without. The games industry is doing quite well at the prices games are set at, and piracy only shows them that "there's more demand", so prices will only go up with piracy. The excuses don't change from region to region. Australians who say "We pay too much for games!" at $100 a pop are echoed in the same forums by Americans who pay half that, so I don't buy the argument that you'd all change your ways if suddenly the price came down. Secondly, I'd like to see what figures are for what DRM really costs. It can't really be that much in comparison to the problem they see piracy as (or the used game market or whatever barrier to their income they see). So "putting it back into the game" probably wouldn't account for any improvements. Lastly, the whole "try before you buy" bit doesn't convince me. Most games have demos. Those that don't get reviewed extensively. Many are available to demo in stores and there's always rentals. If you need to play through the entire game to decide if you'd like to purchase the game to play through it then your logic is flawed.

EDIT: Ad hominem attacks are a bad ploy to take if you plan on commenting on someone else's intelligence.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Cody211282 said:
I think it is because as long as there are pirates there will be DRM, and I hate DRM.
My thoughts exactly. As long as people pirate games, companies will come out with worse and worse DRM that makes thing a bigger pain in the ass for the people who actually want to buy the game.

Of course, you could also blame that on the companies as well, for they don't seem to realize that that making customers jump through hoops means that some of them will decide not to buy your products anymore (either to just not play them at all, or to pirate them instead).

So, either piracy is a real threat, or game publishers are.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
The problem with the pirates isn't necessarily the loss of sales, but the perception of them. They are killing PC gaming. As mentioned, pirates are the reason they have all the DRM, and personally, I think DRM is a mjor reason why PC's are becoming worse compared to consoles, which don't have all the restrictions. As they add more DRM, more people will turn to piracy, either to avoid it or to say "$%^& you, developer!" Either way, the developers will respond with more DRM, which leads to more piracy...

[image=http://www.softwarepricing.com/Tossed/FmDownloads/DeathSpiral.JPG]

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
300 jobs were lost because one of the leading music media suppliers had to shut down a distribution center in my area. I was working for them at the time.

It's not good, no matter how people justify it psychologically.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
squid5580 said:
SultanP said:
This is my point about the shooting right here. Can you say for a fact every pirated copy isn't a lost sale? How many pirates would buy a copy if there was no alternative? Would they pick up a second job, collect bottles or just go without? Both sides are calling for fairness. If there was a demo we wouldn't pirate it. If games were better, longer and cheaper we wouldn't pirate it. And on the other side hey we worked hard we deserve to profit from every copy. We have to do something to protect ourselves. And when the dust settles neither side is altogether right. Neither side really has the high ground since both are damaging themselves and taking everyone down with them. Because in the end both sides are harming the legit customer which is harming the industry.
That is probably the best and most sensible way I have ever heard anyone summarise the issue. I can't really argue with any part of it. If pirating could be completely eliminated, I'd be all for it, unfortunately there's a good chance that whatever it would take to stop people from pirating games, would kill the entire gaming industry at the same time, due to the massive inconvenience it would also be to legitimate customers.

Drakstern

Jul 21, 2008
squid5580 said:
This is my point about the shooting right here. Can you say for a fact every pirated copy isn't a lost sale? How many pirates would buy a copy if there was no alternative? Would they pick up a second job, collect bottles or just go without? Both sides are calling for fairness. If there was a demo we wouldn't pirate it. If games were better, longer and cheaper we wouldn't pirate it. And on the other side hey we worked hard we deserve to profit from every copy. We have to do something to protect ourselves. And when the dust settles neither side is altogether right. Neither side really has the high ground since both are damaging themselves and taking everyone down with them. Because in the end both sides are harming the legit customer which is harming the industry.
Don't know what world you're living in, but making games 'better, longer, and cheaper' won't stop people from pirating. Having demos would only have minimal effects, because people still pirate games with demos. People pirate because they can. They know they can get away with it. Hell, they often brag about it.

It's the same as someone stealing from a store when no one's watching. For some people it's because they don't want to pay. For some it's because it's the thrill of it. However, in the end, it's still theft. Pirates are stealing something. Companies have every right to protect their intellectual property.

No, not every pirated copy of a movie, cd, or game is a lost sale, but a fair number of them are. And yes, sometimes a product gets pirated and word of mouth causes sales to go through the roof. However, it doesn't change a thing.

Pirating is theft.

It hurts the industry as a whole, because it leads to lost sales from pirates and lost sales from people who don't want to deal with the DRM backlash, which gets blamed on the companies.

That's the wrong place to put the blame though. The blame falls squarely on the thieves. It raises prices, causes additional security, and makes things more inconvenient for legitimate buyers.

Of course, I know that none of this will change anyone's mind, since people who pirate are going to keep doing so, and people that don't are going to keep buying, but it should be said, over and over again, until something is done about it.

Theft, whether it's physical theft or pirating, hurts everyone.

NicolasMarinus

Sep 21, 2009
It is harming the old way of making (too much) money. It forces the market to change its business models. It forces the companies to make things cheaper, easier to come by and framed in a larger context (ecospheres like iTunes).

So basically, it drives innovation.

tjcross

Apr 14, 2008
DaOysterboy said:
tjcross said:
DaOysterboy said:
Fine I'll calm down. But a) YES it does irritate me that there is ALWAYS (and there IS ALWAYS) a piracy thread or three in the active forums box. The discussion as I said is way overdone, nobody even TRIES to see the point from other views, and most irritatingly, it's all just talk. b) Ankle socks would make a much more productive discussion. c) The F-word (if you must censor) came out a grand total of twice, and not because I was trying to "sting" anyone or sound cool. The anger bit was probably right on, and yes probably unwarranted, so I apologize for that. d) Youtube, being the epicenter of unwarranted self-importance holds no interest for me.

If you wish to discuss the topic AGAIN then fine. Here are some questions I want answered before it goes any further.
A) Can you contribute anything NEW to the discussion? If not take your games and go home.
B) Why do the pirates cling to the argument that "We'll buy it if we like it." Can you show me any statistical evidence? "I bought such and such after pirating it" isn't good enough, because I have a friend who looked at my game collection and says "Oh you like such and such? You know I could get you anything you wanted for free." Gimme a damn number and not an anecdote.
C) Why do you feel that you shouldn't have to pay for it? If we argue to the extremes, sure piracy probably doesn't mean millions of people who would otherwise buy the product. That's just silly. It also doesn't mean NOBODY who pirated would have bought the product. That's just as silly. Let's just look at the absurd for a moment. If EVERYONE pirated the game who was able to, game publishers would sell maybe a few dozen copies to cracking groups and the rest would download their cracks. Couple hundred bucks in sales for a multi-million dollar game. That doesn't work. So I ask the pirates "why do YOU get special treatment when the rest of us play by the rules?" Inability to pay is not sufficient reason.
D) Why post here? If you have strong feelings for or against piracy why cry about it on the internet? Why not write your representatives or the law firms who are taking these cases on? If you care why not attempt to make a difference.

For people on the other side:
A) Is it a matter of supporting the devs, supporting the economy, or just a moral decision?
B) Do you think people should be excluded from playing games because they're broke?
C) Even if the pirates went away the DRM wouldn't. The problem was addressed, preventative measures were taken. The potential for the problem won't go away so neither will the DRM. Is it worth getting worked up over? It was really inevitable.

My final 2 cents (before I oblige tjcross and find someplace that doesn't need to discuss piracy ad nauseum EVERY DAY): Pirates won't change. They can give reasons and excuses for why they don't pay for things, but they'll just find new ones once they're gone. If it's too expensive, go without. The games industry is doing quite well at the prices games are set at, and piracy only shows them that "there's more demand", so prices will only go up with piracy. The excuses don't change from region to region. Australians who say "We pay too much for games!" at $100 a pop are echoed in the same forums by Americans who pay half that, so I don't buy the argument that you'd all change your ways if suddenly the price came down. Secondly, I'd like to see what figures are for what DRM really costs. It can't really be that much in comparison to the problem they see piracy as (or the used game market or whatever barrier to their income they see). So "putting it back into the game" probably wouldn't account for any improvements. Lastly, the whole "try before you buy" bit doesn't convince me. Most games have demos. Those that don't get reviewed extensively. Many are available to demo in stores and there's always rentals. If you need to play through the entire game to decide if you'd like to purchase the game to play through it then your logic is flawed.

EDIT: Ad hominem attacks are a bad ploy to take if you plan on commenting on someone else's intelligence.
CRAP did it again sorry about that i've grown acustom to having to defend every single thing i say like this that i can't stop myself also i'll apologize for digging up the crap you were trying to escape another of my many bad moves. so can we just agree to disagree or whatever and drop this before i make myself look any more like and ignorant asshole than i already have?