Poll: What sex do you play in RPG's?

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
PnP - Male; CRPG - Female.
If I'm going to spend many hours looking at a backside, I might as well pick one I like.

LetoTheTyrant

Apr 19, 2010
Bloke here. Mostly end up playing as female, I think main reason being that I generally prefer the female voice, so for something like skyrim or the like, without the VO I do aqbout a 50/50 split, but something like DA2 or ME, I lean heavily towards female (that was one of my favourite things about DA2, you can experience all the romance options with a female character. The only reason I've ever run with a male shepard is to see the other romance options, because given a choice I'd spend 60 hours or so listening to jennifer hale quite happliy).

Odinsson

Jun 11, 2011
Male. Every time. Granted, the characters I usually play are pretty much idealised versions of myself.

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
Always female if I can help it. I play the same 2-3 personas in every RPG-type. Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Mass Effect 2 (eventually 3), Saints Row 2 and 3, and even Sims 3 haha.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
If I'm roleplaying my own actions I'll play my own gender.

Otherwise I'll choose female simply for aesthetics. In an MMO environment playing as a female leads to less annoyances and harassment...at least that's been my experience with Guild Wars.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Depends.

If it's third person and not so heavy on freedom of choice in terms of conversations then I'll go with a girl, as I'd rather have a woman's ass shaking in front of me for 50+ hours (also, I have a thing for strong female characters and there are so few in the male dominated games industry, so I feel a deep need to create my own in each game I play that will let me).

If it's first person or there is a great deal of freedom and role playing to be had through a conversation system then I usually like to just act like myself in a crazy situation, at least... the first time through. Every time after that I let the writer inside loose to create whomever I think would be fun to play.

Majority of the time female for sure though. Girls rock, yo.

Ohlawdylawdy

Feb 28, 2011
Mostly male, but in DA2 I played a joke cracking/sarcastic female rouge who hooked up with Isabella (the pirate girl with gigantic breasts) which was pretty awesome...

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
I play a girl character, and I am a girl. An instance when I don't play a girl character is when they're just hideous looking, or there's a feature on the male character that I want more. The only examples I can think of are WoW. I like male undeads better because of the option to take off the bottom jaw. Female undead don't get that, and I have no idea why. And when I wanted to try out a Worgen, well there was just no way I was going to make a female one of those. They're just stupid looking. I also will make a run through with a male character in Bioware games when there is an attractive gay romance option.

Of course, in the rare case of a game limiting a sex to a class (Diablo, Torchlight), I don't care what sex I play as because all I care about is the class.

Dranae

Apr 19, 2011
As a female, always female, but if I can only play male characters that's fine with me.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Male, I use a male first then 2nd a female, then 3rd whatever I come up with a funny name for first.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rusman said:
EDIT: For the my facetious among you, I mean what sex are you drawn to when you first start the game, I'm not talking multiple playthroughs here as I am sure pretty much all of us dabble in both sexes... if you catch my totally innocent drift.
Well, I do dabble in both sexes...>.>

But, and not to be contrary, what about those of us with no strong preference?

My first Saints row 2 (First you have a choice) character was male. I know it's not, strictly speaking, an RPG, but still. My first Mass Effect character was Male, but the first I ported in 2 was femshep (Largely because I thought the femshep voice in the first was better). My only Dragon Age character is female. I think the odds are me actually becoming a mage before I do a second play. Oblivion I started as male, but Faerie I played female.

This isn't just an issue of multiple playthroughs. Some people just play both sexes at different times.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Male IRL, and it really depends on the game. I usually play the first time around with a male, possibly one looking as close to my own appearance as possible, but other games I prefer to playing female because the male counterparts look so hideous by comparison.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Usually make a female character in Western RPGs that allow it for many reasons. You can call them girly all you want but I kind of like the look male protagonists of JRPGs more than the macho builds available for males in Western RPGs. In Japanese games that allow to choose a gender (Phantasy Star, Crystal Chronicles, Pokemon, etc.), I'm more likely to make a male character.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
Broadly speaking, I play female if I have the option to do so. I've tried to bring a male Shepard through Mass Effect, but it just didn't have the same resonance for me as female Shepard. I did bring a male Nerevarine all the way through Morrowind, though. I was in the middle of my first time reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen, and the colonial situation in Morrowind seemed similar to some aspects of those novels, so I played a Kalam Mekhar clone. He was the business. All the other characters I've taken through RPGs have been female, apart from ones where I was restricted to a male character (e.g. Planescape: Torment, The Witcher, Alpha Protocol).

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
It depends heavily on the RPG, but in non-story-driven games like MMOs or lighter 3rd person games, usually females. Demon's/Dark Souls, my old World of Warcraft/Runescape days, that kind of stuff, I play as a female.

For Skyrim, Mass Effect, and things of that nature, always male. It is, after all, a role-playing game, and the role I like to play is that of a badass version of myself.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Depends. I just pick the one that looks best. My mage in Skyrim is a woman just out of disppointment at not having the ridiculously cool facial hair Bretons got in Morrowind, my fighter's a big tough orc man though. And Mass Effect doesn't count cause everyone loves Jennifer Hale.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
I pretty much always play male. The essence of my escapism is imagining myself in the role of the hero and i have always tried to make my heroes resemble me.