Poll: What type of RPG do you prefer?

Zaksav91

Oct 16, 2009
I'm curious what people think about RPGs based on what region it's created. For me, I like the "freedom" of Western RPGS but I also love the story of most Japanese rpgs (such as final fantasy). I'm not a fan of the Korean rpgs and its emphasis on grinding though. How bout you guys?

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Western, since they tend to focus on the idea of making a character as opposed to carting somebody else's androgyne to and from battles.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Western; JRPG's were just to linear for me, and I've never played a Korean RPG.

edit:

DeathWyrmNexus said:
Western, since they tend to focus on the idea of making a character as opposed to carting somebody else's androgyne to and from battles.
^That too.^

Zaksav91

Oct 16, 2009
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:
What are korean rpgs?
Their basically nothing but MMO'S. They have a reputation of being grindfests that people tend to love or hate. Aion is an example of a korean rpg, but for the most part their no name free mmo's that you can find anywhere by just typing in google "free mmos".

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
"A little bit of all three" but I prefer JRPG's because I haven't found an WRPG which is better than games like DDS or Nocturne.

gRiM_rEaPeRsco

Jun 11, 2008
Zaksav91 said:
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:
What are korean rpgs?
Their basically nothing but MMO'S. They have a reputation of being grindfests that people tend to love or hate. Aion is an example of a korean rpg, but for the most part their no name free mmo's that you can find anywhere by just typing in google "free mmos".
orite thanks bud. Then western rpgs and the old gameboy pokemon games if that counts as a jrpg?

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
I like JRPGs pretty well, assuming I can get into the story. Of course, it helps that I'm a fan of Anime and whatnot.

Western RPGs are good too, but I usually like them more for the gameplay than the story.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Western RPG's FTW. I got tired of JRPG's so very long ago. I don't even care about FF13 at all. What I do care in the future about is Dragon Age: Origins, Star Wars:The Old Republic, Fallout 3:GOTY, Borderlands, and the next Elder Scrolls game when it eventually gets here. I am also still deeply hoping for the new FASA Game Studio to make a Bioware style RPG off of ShadowRun.

twcblaze

Lurker Extraordinaire
Jun 18, 2009
I'd have to say I like all three, but then, the only games I don't like are fps games based on wars, because I prefer my shooters to be more... imaginative... and sports games, because if I wanna play a sport, I'll go play a sport, not control avatars that vaguely look like melted versions of people I don't like anyway.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Western RPGs and to be more specific, Bioware, wrapped Mass Effect playing KOTOR, and KOTOR II, preordered both Dragon Age and ME2, but I'm also excited for the next Elder Scrolls by Bethesda

s001911

Jun 11, 2009
"WRPG's" are great, for the customisation as outlined above. Sorry for not quoting, bit lazy at the moment.

"JRPG's" can be fun too, i like the fact that some of them are so unplausible its awesome! i love the fact i am pwning some helpless demonkin with a sword that must weigh several tonne in about 20 layers of clothing

"KRPG's" i can't say i have had the pleasure, however i DETEST pointless grinding. One of the things that meant i could never stick to WoW

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I've never been a big fan of the jrpg genre, although over the years I've occasionally given em a try and tried to play all the 'biggest and best' of the genre. Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6&7 (Tried 8 as well, but bluntly put; I detested it!) for example.

However it's 'western' rpg which I've grown up loving. From the Ultima series where good ol' Lord British game me quests to save the lands, to Wizardry and eventually Baldur's Gate and even the semi-rpg's like Heroes of Might & Magic 3 and fpsrpg like Deus Ex and System Shock. I've been a fan of the genre, the style and the settings for years. Hell, my head is like a compendium of trivial wrpg knowledge.

I still hold Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn as probably my all time favorite game. The combat is incredibly fun to me, the story fantastic, the characters likable and the art-style visually appealing even compared to todays 3D graphics. I really can't find any faults with the game, it's just so perfect! Planescape: Torment might have the better plot, and other games better combat, but BG2 was the only rpg that had it *all* and blended everything together so amazingly well.

As for jrpg's... never much liked em. I dislike the heavily narrated approach they usually take, and the simplistic character stereotypes that often apply and the oft just generally 'anime' feel to it all. Probably because I'm not a huge fan of anime itself either, indeed, I'm not a fan at all.

Still, one series or genre can't appeal to everyone. Whatever floats yer boat! For me? 'western' rpg.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Avykins said:
JRPG's win. Western ones never tell or just have extremely weak stories. If I wanted to explore the pretty scenery I would get a adventure game.
WRPG's are too generic, have lack lustre stories and rely far too much on mods to make them even half playable (especially anything from those fethwiths at bethesda) so are crap games.
I wouldn't say that all WRPGs have bad stories. Take for example Bioforge, Stonekeep, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Arcanum and many many others. I would also add that many JRPGs use the same story and stereotypes over and over again. So just like there are bad WRPGs there are bad JRPGs, and the other way around.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Avykins said:
JRPGs win. Western ones never tell or just have extremely weak stories. If I wanted to explore the pretty scenery I would get a adventure game.
WRPGs are too generic, have lack lustre stories and rely far too much on mods to make them even half playable (especially anything from those fethwiths at bethesda) so are crap games.
JRPGs may have you just killing shit from point A to B but at least they tell you a interesting story and quite often get you to give a shit about the characters.
The only good WRPG I have ever played was Mass Effect.
Since you're in the mood for stereotyping shall I point out how apparently *all* jrpg's are stories about sexually ambiguous teenage boys with oversized cutlery facing off against the most generic forces of evil ever conceived?

Bleh. Even though I'm not a fan of jrpg's I know that's idiotic what I just typed. Still, turnabout is fair game. If you're intent of spreading that stupid stereotype about wrpg's having terrible stories, which is blatantly untrue, then I'll happily point out how many belt-buckles jrpg characters wear and how the main characters look like 12 year old girls with impossibly frizzy hair!

Ayup!