Poll: What type of RPG do you prefer?

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Either turn based like the original Fallout games, or real time like Bethesda's RPGs.

JenXXXJen

Mar 11, 2009
JRPG's. Most of the one's I've played have had pretty interesting stories, good characters, pretty music, creative and colourful places, all that jazz. Even the one's that weren't very good had a redeeming feature or two. And even when they come off as cheesy, at least they've tried to do something with the story, I find it quite endearing. And seriously, when they're good, they're fucking good.

WRPG's aren't really for me. I dunno, it all just seems kinda repetetive to me, "Get x from this place, stop evil overlord". They mostly just seem to be LotR rip-offs. The exceptions tend to be pretty damn good though, like Mass Effect.

Never played a Korean one o.o

cobaltfram

Sep 3, 2009
I hated JRPGs after I turned fifteen, but then just recently I finished Persona 4 and I have to say, I fell in love with the genre again. The fact that it was a modern-day, M-rated JRPG helps a lot. Some people will still find it saccharine, but to me, it was heart-warming without being nauseating.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Western RPGs. But every so often I wanna play JRPG. Right now I'm waiting for FF13 to get a release date.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Western RPGs with no doubt. I just can't do JRPGs... they make me uncomfortable.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
Western RPG's I love them. Especially Planescape: Torment, mmmmmmm... I just wish I could play it again without it crashing every time I cast a decent spell at the wrong time.
But it also helps my opinion on this when I detest angsty emo androgyny very much so.

Though a few JRPG's I like, and a few are my favourites. Chrono Trigger, Skies of Arcadia, and Final fantasy 2 and 3 for the SNES.
But that is pretty much it, when it comes to JRPG's, the old ones that had nothing to do with adrogynistic girly-men and their emotional baggage.

Korean.. MMO, grindfest, hate.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Western, since they actually seem to RPGs, not just 300 hours and 4 discs worth of emo's.

Yup, I stereo-typed.

Ernie Devlin

Sep 22, 2009
Western RPGs for sure.
I'm obsessed with Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
The last JRPG I played was FFX which was in like 2002.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
My favourites are Western titles, although I do like the occassional JRPG. Never played a Korean title... at least, not that I know of.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
I used to enjoy JRPG's quite a bit since they were the ones available to me. I enjoyed the art style and stories plus the soundtracks. However over the years I've grown distant to them and nowadays the only series I'll still play regularly are the Kingdom Hearts games due to their blend of the Final Fantasy series (which is okay but6 some of them are way too overrated) and my beloved Disney (as I remember it) with their own unique touches. I'll also play the Mario RPGs but I've only played the first two Paper Mario games and the latest Mario and Luigi game (which I must say I'm quite enjoying) since the games have charm and wit by the bucketful and I really enjoy how they handle turn based combat. I don't know where the Penny Arcade Adventures games fall but there combat seems more JRPG in style.

Western RPGs have really grown on me be it the Fable games, Bethesda's products or those of Bioware. KOTOR 2 still stands as one of my favorite games of all time due to its customization, improved gameplay, darker tone, and characters.

I don't play any form of mmorpgs, so put me down as a no for that catagory.

Zaksav91

Oct 16, 2009
Ah I should've renamed "A little of all three" to "two of the three" thats what I really meant. It seems some people like JRPGs and WRPGs, lol but no one even touches Korean RPGs but I really can't blame any of you guys. I tried playing Mabinogi online and Fiesta or whatever it's called, I tried getting into them but they were some of the most boring games I've ever played.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I like JRPGs, because I'm much more concerned with having an awesome story with well thought out characters (like a novel) rather than having an awesome faceless mute to run around with (like a make-your-own-adventure-book). I have absolutely zero interest in grindfests.

My favourite Western RPG is Mass Effect, probably because we have an established character to enjoy. I did not enjoy Fallout 3.

I do on occasion like making my own character, but I think it's still clumsily done in video games, you need to build your character yourself, no stats, no pre-set choices. Video games do not allow this, so it doesn't interest me.