Poll: What type of RPG do you prefer?

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
I like the ability to choose who i am and how i go about things that Western RPGs can (because not all do this well) give me, as opposed to always being and angst filled teenager with a huge sword. For me the point is the role playing, and i cant get that in a JRPG because they give me a character. Personally i also don't like the style of the JRPG but thats personal taste so i don't expect that to be taken into account. I have never seen a KRPG but if it is filled with grind then, well, i hate grind. As for story, well that depends on the game, i like the elder scrolls story and background and KOTOR had HK-47 which was awesome.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Generally WRPGs, the only JRPGs I've ever really taken an interest in is the Final Fantasy series.

silverowl

May 6, 2009
Must agree with almost everyone here, Western RPG's, especially the work done by Bethesta and Bioware, those guys are the kings( all hail Bethesta!!)

Woem

May 28, 2009
silverowl said:
Must agree with almost everyone here, Western RPG's, especially the work done by Bethesta and Bioware, those guys are the kings( all hail Bethesta!!)
I would definitely add Troika Games (Arcanum, Template of Elemental Evil, Vampire) and Interplay (Stonekeep, Bard's Tale, Fallout) to that list.

Gauntes

Jun 22, 2009
only jrpg I liked was one of the final fantasy series which I can't really recall...

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
There should be an option for WRPGs and JRPGs are even, but I don't touch Korean RPGs...

asdasdasdasda

Oct 17, 2009
Generally, I'd say WRPGS, since I really didn't like any of the JRPGS I played. Just can't get into the story most of the time. Maybe it's just the retarded characters, retarded dialogues, "keyblades", and such. Eh.

Oh, and, Korean RPGs I haven't had the "pleasure" of playing. Unless you mean mmos, which, generally I don't consider an RPG since they're not immersive at all. I don't feel like the character I'm playing, can't relate, etc.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
I put a little bit of all three but I really just mean I like JRPGs and WRPGs pretty much the same, but only pre-1998 JRPGs because after that they all became the same goddamn game.

Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG evar btw.

EDIT: Also Bruce Springsteen is the shit in case you didnt know.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
It's that time again? *sigh*

The Madman said:
Avykins said:
JRPGs win. Western ones never tell or just have extremely weak stories. If I wanted to explore the pretty scenery I would get a adventure game.
WRPGs are too generic, have lack lustre stories and rely far too much on mods to make them even half playable (especially anything from those fethwiths at bethesda) so are crap games.
JRPGs may have you just killing shit from point A to B but at least they tell you a interesting story and quite often get you to give a shit about the characters.
The only good WRPG I have ever played was Mass Effect.
Since you're in the mood for stereotyping shall I point out how apparently *all* jrpg's are stories about sexually ambiguous teenage boys with oversized cutlery facing off against the most generic forces of evil ever conceived?

Bleh. Even though I'm not a fan of jrpg's I know that's idiotic what I just typed. Still, turnabout is fair game. If you're intent of spreading that stupid stereotype about wrpg's having terrible stories, which is blatantly untrue, then I'll happily point out how many belt-buckles jrpg characters wear and how the main characters look like 12 year old girls with impossibly frizzy hair!

Ayup!
I'd call that fair turnabout if I didn't regularly see people express that same opinion and, inexplicably, believe it. I'll grant that stereotyping of either is pretty stupid, but let us have some fun, eh?

On topic, like I always say, I don't mind either sort; no, I haven't played any Korean RPGs that I know of, and probably won't based on their reputation. It still holds that if I want customizable gameplay with a semi-decent story, I'll play a WRPG (or semi-customizable gameplay and great story, if I'm playing Planescape Torment), and if I want a rather good story with decent-to-good gameplay, I'll play a JRPG (or great story and great gameplay, if I'm playing a Tales series game).

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Sketchy said:
There should be an option for WRPGs and JRPGs are even, but I don't touch Korean RPGs...
What you said!
I love both WRPG's and JRPG's it just depends what kind of 'gaming mood', I am in.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I like them all. I've had my go with Korean RPG's, even though I don't have the time now. Socializing is the most important part of them and the game comes second, but that's not half bad. WRPG's are without doubt the ones I look forward to the most and the ones I grew up with. JRPG's have many flaws, but they are not ashamed to adapt a fairytale-like way to tell their stories, which I find attractive.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Western RPGs. I've never been able to get into JRPGs, even Final Fantasy. It doesn't help when you have an almost unexplainable hatred for the protagonists.

BladeOfAkriloth

Jun 30, 2009
Well the soviet in me cries out RPG-7!!, although i'm more of a fan of the fm-92 stinger...
oh darn....

Billy_Pilgrim

Aug 6, 2008
The Madman said:
Since you're in the mood for stereotyping shall I point out how apparently *all* jrpg's are stories about sexually ambiguous teenage boys with oversized cutlery facing off against the most generic forces of evil ever conceived?

Bleh. Even though I'm not a fan of jrpg's I know that's idiotic what I just typed. Still, turnabout is fair game. If you're intent of spreading that stupid stereotype about wrpg's having terrible stories, which is blatantly untrue, then I'll happily point out how many belt-buckles jrpg characters wear and how the main characters look like 12 year old girls with impossibly frizzy hair!

Ayup!
I hate to sound like I’m defending JRPGs, because their by no means my favourite genre, but all this sexually ambiguous rubbish people keep spouting is kind of wearing thin. It just shows people to be a little ignorant an immature. Sure, JRPG characters, by and large, aren’t the very pinnacle of manliness but I’ve never confused a male character for a female one. Ever. …Ever.

In many cases I’d take the overly convoluted JRPG plot over the wafer thin plot of a WRPG. A good example would be Fallout 3, a game I feel gets far too much praise for its piss poor story. I enjoyed the game, but its characters were just so bland and uninteresting it was really hard for me to immerse myself in the world around me. In fact, other than the ability to level up, and sheer scale of gameplay, I find it hard to even consider it an RPG at all. That’s just my two cents. But yeah you’re right, stereotyping is bad.

But to answer the question at hand I’d say I’m still torn between the two. I would say Mass Effect was easily one of my favourite games for the 360 so far, but on the other hand I had a lot of fun with Lost Odyssey and I’m in love with Valkyria Chronicles at the moment.

Right now I guess I’d go for the WRPG, if only because it seems to me that they’re still in their infancy, but they’re showing a lot of promise. Plus I have the feeling that my excitement for Mass Effect 2 is saying my vote as it is.

Blubberburg

Sep 17, 2009
I like them more when they dont have turn based combat, that really annoys me. I like some non-tactical skill involved and its fun when you can occasionally do something normally impossible like charging headon through the middle and fluking a ton of kills

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I tend to side towards JRPG's for the usually excellent stories, the likable charcters, and the combat. I seem to be one of those "freaks" who enjoy turn based combat but do enjoy more actiony fare like the Tales series.

Mind you I don't hate WRPG's, I do like a few like Oblivion and Jade Empire.

As for KRPGs can't say I knowingly played one.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
JRPGs without a second thought. I started into the RPG genre with them and have adored them ever since from Thousand Arms, Lunar, Dragoon, Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Xenogears. So many gems in the JRPG world in my opinion. I have taken an interest in the more recent WRPGs like Mass Effect however I was never sold on Baldur's Gate; finding it weak storywise and overall a good but hardly impacting game. Personal preference mates, so likes keep the flaming to a nil. :p

Edit: Jade Empire; so much <3