Poll: What was the best console of all time?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Gen 6

PS2 was/is the best 3D based game console to be released.

Though I have LOADS of nostalgia for the NES/SNES.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Even today the PS2's legacy stands large over the collective offerings of its successor and the successors of its rivals... and the Wii if it still counts as a G6 console.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I'm gonna say gen 6, as I percieve it as the generation when gaming "Grew up" from being viewed by the mainstream as toys for kids and weird adults, to being regarded as electronic entertainment for all ages.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I'm going to have to go with 6, because GameCube. I love that console and its tiny discs. 4 and 5 were good too.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Gen 5 because the original Resident Evil series were my absolute fave for the PS1 and Gen 6 because I like quite a lot of games on both the 360 and PS3 respectively.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Gen 5 or 6, whichever you would put N64 in. Which also is the best console, ever. I remember my friend dropping his on the floor (wooden). It cracked. The floor, not the console. N64 also has some of the best games ever made.

vasudean

May 30, 2008
I would say Gen 4 for me because the SNES was there along with the Genesis. I'm not saying I didn't like the later ones, but to me, it seemed that gaming was at it's best when it was primarily sprites and it was before Squaresoft became Square-Enix and focused primarily on Graphical Fidelity rather than a compelling narrative.

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
definetly 6th PS2 is awesome (thankyou emulators) more of the same for the gamecube and let's not forget the dreamcast which was at least five years ahead of it's time which is also why it was too damn expensive and has died out q.q

other very good ones were SNES, GENESIS, PS1

TL;DR: PS2, NGC, DC

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
If this poll were asking which console/generation was the most influential, I'd have a really hard time answering it. Thankfully, it doesn't specifically ask that question - it just asks which I personally think is greatest.

With that in mind, I'm going to go with SNES/Generation 4. My choice has nothing to do with innovations or later influence, as it's entirely based upon nostalgia and personal fun. I've owned at least one console from every generation at one point or another, but the SNES was the first one that I really felt attached to. Classics like Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and of course, UN Squadron really solidified my interest in gaming. Also, I have fond memories of playing SNES with my parents.

So yeah... SNES, my personal greatest console. Maybe not the most influential to gaming in general, but probably the most influential to me as a gamer.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Either:

PC or whatever the gen with my first consoles I ever had (As in PS1).

Easy as hell.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Gen 6, PS2 and Gamecube were amazing!

I also want to say SNES...
I'm glad that someone mentioned the good old gamecube. The one console where Nintendo had to recognize the existance of 3rd party companies.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
If we're just measuring off sheer quantity of good games on the machine, then I'm stuck between SNES and PS2. Leaning toward Snes, despite not growing up with one.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
scorptatious said:
I'll have to vote for the PS2 as well.

There were so many good games for it.

Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
God of War 1 and 2
Ratchet and Clank 1-3 and Deadlocked
Jak and Daxter 1-3
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

The list goes on.

Although the other gens are really good as well in their own way.
can I just say this? lol the Gamecube was my sentimental favorite of that generation but PS2 was objectively the best console

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Oh hey only 30 minutes later and we're already seeing signs of the supposed master race coming in.

no please for those that wish to give an answer out of this poll that happens to be the most obvious do go on because I'd guess this thread will be turning into a flamewar during another page and a half when it involves "that non console".

Yes the one not listed in the poll.