Poll: What was your favorite Metal Gear Solid game?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So I have recently played through MGS1 and 2 for the first time and then played through MGS3 again. Which means I have played all the MGS games in the main series. So, Which MGS (or Metal Gear if you prefer) game in the main series was your favorite and why?

For me, my favorite would be MGS3. It was the first MGS game I've played and I loved it. Not to mention it's a prequel to the entire series, so I thought it was a good jumping point.

So what about you guys?

the spud

May 2, 2011
Out of the 2 I played (the original and MGS2) I prefer the first. I actually liked Raiden, though. I just thought the bosses weren't as cool.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
MGS3 had the best boss fights, best exploration, awesome story, great innovation, was fun...and it MADE SENSE. MGS2 made the series officially jump the shark. MGS4 was a good movie for what it was worth.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I started playing MGS3 around 12:30pm on a Saturday.... I didn't put it down (bathroom breaks/eating aside) until I finished it the following Sunday morning around 4:30am.

MGS3 was THAT fucking awesome.

I'd say MGS4 came close though... I really liked that one.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I like Metal Gear solid Ghost Babel the best...
[sub]It's the only one I still have[/sub]

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Metal Gear Solid: loved it so much on my PS1 that i ended up buying the Gamecube remake Twin Snakes so i could play the story again but with better graphics and the gameplay tweaks from MGS2.

EternalFenix

Sep 23, 2010
MGS3 would be my favorite on consoles because of the stealth and gameplay mechanics, but Peace Walker, despite being on the PSP, was my favorite of all time because of the mission structure and weapon development system. Fulton recovery was also a blast, as was fighting my ZEKE and killing Gear REX. :D

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
MGS3 by far. It's stealth mechanics were the best, the stamina system and healing system were both pretty good and storywise it wasn't a complete and total clusterfuck like the others, although playing the others makes it a lot easier to understand.

MGS3 is one of my top games, hard to say what I'd put over it, really.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I seriously can not decide between the four main entries. They're so goddamn amazing. They've all got their strong and "weak" points to them and I can never pick a favorite.

I'm trying to decide when I go through them all again in November/December with the new HD Collection.

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
I never would have imagined anybody liking another in the series more so than the original. The original is a MASTERPIECE!

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
The first one was practically perfect, and still one of my favorites. Mostly because of the story. MGS had a fantastic story, one of the best I've seen in video games, but the sequels have been more of a mixed bag. MGS2 had a vampire and a fucking possessed ghost hand. Seriously, Liquid Snake living on through his arm has to be the dumbest plot in any video game ever. What the hell was Hideo smoking when he added that? And can I have some? MGS3 was better, but there was a lot of superfluous shit and the boss characters had no impact on the story which still bugs me.

Most importantly: the lengthy cutscenes actually felt justified. Long cutscenes is of course a staple of the series, but in the first game things were actually happening in them. Either characters were developed, the story was pushed forward, or RELEVANT background information was presented. There wasn't a three minute scene dedicated to Snake throwing away a cigarette in slow motion, nor a twenty minute scene explaining the complete backstory of a character that's only in the game for two minutes.

Gameplay might be a bit simple compared to later games, and the overpowered radar meant you basically spent the entire game staring at only the right top corner of the screen, but it's a timeless classic in my book.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Metal Gear Solid

MGS3 would've been my #1 if it wasn't for the fact that the majority of bosses felt like simple cronies that had no connection to the story.

MGS1 also had a lot going on behind the scenes with Naomi's betrayal.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I'm going with Snake Eater. It wins out on the fact that it has the best game mechanics of the series. Metal Gear Solid comes in a close second, but it has been far too long since I played it for me to accurately say how good it was.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
You speak like there's any other answer than Snake Eater!

I've beaten Snake Eater maybe 100 times, and have trimmed down my very hard play-through down to about 5 hours. You are speaking to a man who idolizes Big Boss.

Snake Eater is my favorite game of all time. And I will actually go on to saying that it is one of the legendary, end-all, be-all titles of all time!

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i've never actually played a Metal Gear game though i did see a friend play the first part of Metal Gear Solid 4 and wasn't overly impressed. are they all like that or am i missing out on some great games. the GC one with the geezer that can 'read your mind' sounded good

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I've played all of the ones after MGS and I personally find MGS1 to be the best, very closely followed by MGS3. Both of those have flaws however (MGS1 does everything right except for gameplay, which might have been limited so much due to the fact that everything in the game is 3D. MGS3 also does everything right except for one thing, which is that it has quite a few uninteresting and bland bosses with no character backstory or development (Fury, Fear, Pain)).
Still, the good outweighs the bad immensely.

Seriously though, the characters, soundtrack, storyline and nearly everything else is generally so good in these two games, it's incredible. The two are probably in my top 10 best games of all time.

If you dislike the ending of MGS3 (in the sense that it's done badly and sucks), then there might possibly be something wrong with you.

PureChaos said:
i've never actually played a Metal Gear game though i did see a friend play the first part of Metal Gear Solid 4 and wasn't overly impressed. are they all like that or am i missing out on some great games. the GC one with the geezer that can 'read your mind' sounded good
Of course you weren't impressed. The game is pretty good, but the series is heavily story-based and doesn't allow you to jump into the series wherever you'd like. Starting with 4 (viewing or playing) is the worst thing one could do. Unless you've AT LEAST played the first three games, don't even come near the last one.