Poll: What would be the backlash of a female criminal in games?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Haerthan said:
Redryhno said:
Haerthan said:
Snip
I don't like it one bloody bit. Which is why I don't have Tumbler. And we all know that the Internet gives voice to the most vocal minority. If people think that Tumbler "feminists" (not real ones anyways), represents the majority of feminism than they have an issue. If you think that feminism = Tumbler feminist, than boy oh boy you just pissed off the European feminists. I took a course in German Feminist Literature, there is nothing there that advocates what those Tumblimistes (Tumbler+feminists get it?lol) want. The majority of feminism doesn't support what those Tumblimistes want.
Point in my post where I said Tumblr was the majority. All I said was that's the only parts of Feminism you see, so quit with the righteous defender schtick. I'm aware there's about as many types of Feminism as there are people in the world. And notice that Tumblr "feminists" are in quotes for a reason, while I capitalize Feminists for the real thing.

But, you should really let this go I think, this thread isn't about Feminism, it's about female criminal PC's. To which I point to Black Lagoon and it's popularity among the anime community. Since when someone says on par with the male criminals, I'm thinking Trevor as the worst of the PC's of GTA, which Balalaika definitely qualifies as. Saint's Row works as a series that doesn't take itself as "seriously" as GTA and therefore doesn't count as much in my mind.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haerthan said:
It isn't censorship because you yourself have no idea what censorship is.
Here, let me help. It's censorship, but not in any meaningful sense. The people crying afoul of "censorship" are trying to game the definition in the most useless way possible, to the point any consumer advocacy or boycott counts as censorship. Which often includes their own activities. If I had a nickel for every one of the "censorship" panickers in these threads who told someone on here before to "vote with their wallet" (precisely what these people are doing) or "just don't support (x) if you don't like (practice Y") or who were involved in that certain gaming consumer movement, I'd have enough cash to...well, I'd have a few bucks, anyway.
Still not censorship. Otherwise you are spot on. They tell people to vote with their wallets (or petitions in this matter) and when people do, they blow up? And they call me hypocritical. And I am just the troll.

Captcha: Peanut butter. MMMM tasty.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Redryhno said:
Haerthan said:
Redryhno said:
Haerthan said:
Snip
snip
snip.
Yea sorry about the derailment. (Trolling success 100%). Well female villains. Best one I have ever seen: Silla de Tansarville in The Witcher 2. Damn that is good actor and one good character. SPOILERS: She arranges for the assassination of a king, then gets her hands on a dragon and depending on your choices she either dies or survives at the end. The story in that game was good. And guess what NO BACKLASH at all when that game came out. and let me tell you, the witcher universe makes the present day racism/sexism/othering look like a mild case. There they burned sorceresses at stake (Medieval Society with Magic). Magic users, witchers and elves are so oppressed in that universe it isn't even hilarious.

Captcha: maple syrup. Well now that stuff again. I WILL NOT HAVE IT.

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
There would likely be a backlash. There shouldn't, though, but there likely would be. I'm all for more female characters taking roles from just heroes and NPCs. Knight Commander Meredith is one of my favorite video game villains, so of course I would like to see more characters like her.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haerthan said:
It isn't censorship because you yourself have no idea what censorship is.
Here, let me help. It's censorship, but not in any meaningful sense. The people crying afoul of "censorship" are trying to game the definition in the most useless way possible, to the point any consumer advocacy or boycott counts as censorship. Which often includes their own activities. If I had a nickel for every one of the "censorship" panickers in these threads who told someone on here before to "vote with their wallet" (precisely what these people are doing) or "just don't support (x) if you don't like (practice Y") or who were involved in that certain gaming consumer movement, I'd have enough cash to...well, I'd have a few bucks, anyway.
Still not censorship. Otherwise you are spot on. They tell people to vote with their wallets (or petitions in this matter) and when people do, they blow up? And they call me hypocritical. And I am just the troll.

Captcha: Peanut butter. MMMM tasty.
Nobody voted with their wallets though. They voted with a petition. Nobody in the petition has necessarily even bought a single item from the store in their entire lives. It's just a bunch of SJWs getting between consumers and retailers because they feel the need to police their fucked up version of morality at the detriment of the game industry.
I am guessing you missed the whole post where the petitioners were sex workers (who most likely suffered abuse). There is no MORALITY involved here. There is no morality involved in making money, no matter how much people say there is. Target is only protecting an IMAGE, to MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY CAN. And you also seem to misunderstand how corporations work. You think even for a second that they only saw that petition and pulled it off? No. They did their research. And Target has cheap crap the chances of people buying their stuff is very high. So your assumption, while could happen, is highly unlikely.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
There wouldn't be a backlash, because it's never going to happen.

Female protagonists don't sell/are too hard to render/you don't want to be them you want to protect them/maybe we should just make gender a selectable option then put the male version in all of our advertizing.

Annnnnnd presto! No backlash. Because publisher has either demanded she be changed into a brown-haired 30-something white dude or for him to be the other option and the poster protagonist for all of the game's press.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haerthan said:
snip
snip.
snip
snip
snip
If Australia is like that than Target saw the light there and decided to stop stocking a game that most wouldn't buy anyways. Again IMAGE. You are not paying much attention to it. Everything done by Target in this case is to protect their bottom line. DO people, regardless of their economic standing, who buy at Target want a violent videogame? NO? Than off it goes. If people that shopped at Target, which looks to be families with children mainly and other poor economic factors such as sex workers for example, see that Target doesn't listen to them, Target loses money. And your food analogy doesn't work because it is two different industries with different expectation. Allergies can bloody kill you if they get bad enough.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
I want a female Trevor.
I can already imagine the kotaku and polygon headlines.

"Misogynistic game depicts women as crazy and irrational."

"Can male developers ever create realistic female game characters? Do they want to?"

"This is what the game industry thinks of women, an examination of Trevy, the female caricature of a "crazy chick""

...and then of course the pretentious Jim Sterling video trying to find a "common ground" between this insane crap and "moderation".

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Bad Jim said:
You mean someone like Carmen Sandiego? In a kids game?

No outrage whatsoever. At all.
Let's face it. Carmen's crimes were the equivilent of Team Rocket or Looney Tunes villains. Not what one imagines when they think of hardened criminals.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haerthan said:
snip
snip.
snip
snip
snip
snip
snip
How about we agree to disagree, since this is just a bloody circle we are running in. You think this is censorship, most of the gaming community thinks it isn't. I've been on this thread for hours now and I am tired.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
insaninater said:
Haerthan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Haerthan said:
snip
snip.
snip
snip
snip
snip
snip
How about we agree to disagree, since this is just a bloody circle we are running in. You think this is censorship, most of the gaming community thinks it isn't. I've been on this thread for hours now and I am tired.
I literally never claimed this was censorship. How about trying to get an idea of what my argument is rather than painting me as some boogeyman.
Than who was it that claimed it was censorship. And why were we debating again?

Oh I remember now. It was Guerrila and his feminist boogeymen that said it was censorship.

Like I said tired.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
DANEgerous said:
Well since Saints Row 2-4 already had a female protagonist and we never heard anything about it, the correct answer is that there WASN'T.

If Australia censors really wants them to make all the criminals male that badly, well... I suppose that's their prerogative as clueless lawmakers. But it won't end the way they think it will. They're basically Poison-ing the water, if you catch my drift.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Seeing as I've been waiting pretty much forever for a GTA with a female protag, I doubt there would be much backlash.

But I gave up anyway and went to Saints Row. Had much more fun with them and haven't been back to GTA since. The only thing that could sway me back now is possibly a female character or something else new and cool but I doubt it's gonna happen. Saints Row for me, then.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
insaninater said:
VanQ said:
Bad Jim said:
You mean someone like Carmen Sandiego?

No outrage whatsoever. At all.
Let's face it. Carmen's crimes were the equivilent of Team Rocket or Looney Tunes villains. Not what one imagines when they think of hardened criminals.
Didn't she steal like, entire ranges of geography? Like entire rivers and shit? It's been a long time, and my memory is fuzzy, but i remember her crimes being pretty fucking impressive. She would have been the greatest criminal in the world if she didn't leave behind all those notes. She gets caught, but she always gets out. She's too good a thief to have to resort to violence. She'd be the richest ************ on the planet if only she gave a fuck.
Oh absolutely. She stole mountains and monuments alike. But when the Eiffel Tower goes missing it just seems more like a Looney Tune than what the OP was talking about.

Damn I miss games from that era. So much more fun and imagination in them.