Poll: What's a reasonable percentage to play a game till?

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
DustyDrB said:
Achievement completion percentage is way inaccurate as far as I'm concerned, unless you really think people are missing out in Grand Theft Auto IV by choosing not to hunt every pigeon in the city. So you can toss that definition of completion in the garbage.

All that matters to me is getting the story done and then whatever else I find fun. If I like a game, I'll likely play it again. I'll probably even play it even more after that (I'm currently starting playthrough #13 of Mass Effect). I definitely get my money's worth out of games.
If my memory is correct then in Spider-man 2 the story mode only filled the completion percentage by around 30-40% and the rest was TONNES of races, collectables, challenges, milestones, side missions etc. Spider-man 3 had 80% when the story finished. Symphony of the Night has around 200% so yeah, percentages are pretty inaccurate and different from game to game.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I will finish the main campaign, then get any fun achievements/trophies, and whatnot, and play it again sometime if really liked it. Only game I've ever compulsively played over and over again is KOTOR 1. Must have gone through the lightside camp at least 7 times or so.

My Lord, that game is incredible.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
I'm gonna go with 3. It really just depends on the game, but the on I'm thinking of in particular really should be played at least 80-90% through. If you just played through the story of Mass Effect, you missed important sidequests and extra things that added to the depth and intrigue of the story. I mean, you start off the 2nd game with a hatred of all things Cerberus, yet if you didn't play Admiral Kahoku's missions, you wouldn't understand why. It's just one of those things where if the developer put time into it, you should at least give it a chance.

Barring that, you should just play until you get bored. I've put in around 150ish hours of Mount and Blade; Warband, I'm about 95% done with everything, and I'm still not bored.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I keep playing a game until I basically realise I'm playing just to get a higher percentage. Once you hit that mark, the game is more or less just waiting for you to stop.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
LakeofWater said:
This isn't /b/. Shape up or face mod wrath.

OT: I always try to finish the story unless I just don't care. There's not really any standard while people still enjoy different things.

The Naked Emperor

Jan 5, 2011
If it's an average but enjoyable game there's no reason to do more than the minimum. If I really love it I'll go 100%, but it's always one of those two.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Hmm, it does seem like most people do one of the following;

Play it, then give it up

Play it, then finish it once

Play it, then finish 90 odd%

With most people falling into that middle category there, which is interesting.

New additional question then, does this make replayability less important in modern games?

Additional: Lake of Water, you're being a jerk on my thread, to a mod no less, when you're wrong, so I've reported you.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
LakeofWater said:
*Sigh. Mods?

OT: I guess it's sorta related, I just got the 75% completion in Just Cause 2 today. Yeah, I have no life.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Depends on what type of game it is. In a game that is free range where the optional quests are easy enough to finish but there are still plenty of collectibles the task seems incredible. I mean look at Assassin's creed finding all those damn flags is annoying but is nothing compared to 100% of final fantasy. There was no percent completion bar but people would choose to get every item, do every side quest, collect every extra thing, and never die. An incredible feet for a FF game.

PeacanPie

Jan 17, 2011
The majority of games that I don't drop within 10% are MMOs, which I'm not sure you can measure in % completed.
Pokemon I suppose would be my other game, and I have every one to 100% and several more dozen hours played just training up my epic team and taking part in tournaments. Why? Because I enjoy it.
Most games drag for me so I stop around... 40-60%.

rmb1983

I am the storm.
Mar 29, 2011
My games either hit 100% (at the very least...if I happen to love the game, I'll replay it for much more than just Achievements or Trophies) straight-away, or I eventually get back to them and do so.

The former, like I said, raises the stipulation of how much I actually enjoy the game. If my first playthrough doesn't do much in terms of "Wow!"ing me, I'll simply run a quick couple playthroughs just for Achievements and Trophies, because my OCD won't let those lie.
The latter, on the other hand, occurs when several games I'm interested in release in a short period of time. For example, inFamous 2 last Tuesday, and Duke Nukem today. Depending on the games, I may or may not jump over to the latest purchase, but if I do, I eventually get back to the others.

Others' suggestions are your best bet, though. Give every game mode a shot, because you might be missing out on something you enjoy (whether you believe you'll enjoy it or not, giving it that chance is paramount), and don't over-extend past when you have fun with the game. Once you start getting bored, move on to a different game, and either go back to the prior at a later date or not at all. If you continue to play the game past the point where it's actually fun for you, you'll only grow to hate it, regardless of whether or not it actually deserves that ire.
Another thing I'd personally suggest is to think outside the box while you play. At times, Achievements and Trophies can complement this quite well, also. Finding more ways to have fun with a game will allow it to entertain you for that much longer a time period, getting you more value for the money spent.
LakeofWater said:
Phlakes said:
LakeofWater said:
*Sigh. Mods?

OT: I guess it's sorta related, I just got the 75% completion in Just Cause 2 today. Yeah, I have no life.
Mods...WTF? I never said anything about mods.

werkts on foniks ovisly dident werkt fer u

Anyway, since tarantula's are so badass, here's another..."mod" for you.
1. That's "huked" -- the parody started in the 90s and this shirt [http://www.cafepress.ca/+huked_on_fonics_dark_tshirt,530645226] is what prompted it. Worked on Phonics never worked for anyone.
2. He snipped the entire preceding string of quoting down to you last statement after someone mentioned your attitude is bound to attract negative attention from mods.
3. You're not contributing to the topic in any way, wasting people's time, and being abrasive and insulting. You've already been reported at least twice (that people have stated). Cut your losses.

Tourmeta

Apr 25, 2011
Whatever you want to.

I play until I just stop playing the game, it really depends on them.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Rabish Bini said:
Until you stop having fun.

Be it 10% or 100% twice.
Perfectly put.

There's no magic number here, the poll options (even when I eventually found the hidden decoder table) don't really translate to anything useful.

I played GuildWars for several hundred hours, and only finished one of the four expansions. On the other hand, I played Braid to the end and haven't looked at it since.

Ryu890

May 28, 2011
In general, it depends on how intriguing the percents themselves are.

For example, I usually finish the main story, and any side-quests that are stories onto themselves. I usually quit after that, because I simply don't care to find each and every little thing.

In short.....percentages? I don't think thats the 'best' way to judge length....What if you only played 40% of Halo's campaign? Wouldn't that be a waste?

Drakos.Amatras

Mar 23, 2011
As much as you want. It also depends on the game; if 100% is achievable without severe difficulty, I personally don't mind.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I've recently made it a personal goal to at least try to hit 50% on as many games that I have as possible. For some, just hitting 50% (at least as far as Achievements go, but sometimes the game itself too if it's a super hard puzzle/platformer) is pretty impossible. I figure I'll eventually balance it out by getting up to 80-90% on many games that I really get into.

As far as 100% on games...well those still don't happen very open for me :p but I can't afford as much time to gaming as I used to

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I go to 100% in games I really, REALLY like, so pretty much Crash Bandicoot 2/3 and Jak 2. Other games I like that much don't record completion in that manner (stuff like Morrowind, Trackmania, Counter-Strike, etc), so they don't really count.

Anyone here know Inside A Star-Filled Sky? I challenge you all to 100% it.