Poll: What's cooler, scars or tattoos?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Tatoos mean you're stupid and scars mean you acted on your stupidity and got hurt by it.

Kimjira19

Nov 14, 2009
DoctorNick said:
Scars are only as cool as the story that goes with them.

Tattoos are only cool if they are, well, REALLY cool tattoos.

Most fail in that regard.
Pretty much this...

Kimjira19

Nov 14, 2009
dragon_of_red said:
Both are massivley uncool, tattoos are for people who think they are tough and want to be tough. Scars arent worthy of being cool since something bad must have happened.

Both are monumentaly uncool, scars are better unless tattoos are for a dead friend or something.
Actually, my older sister has a small tattoo on her neck just behind the ear... it is the celtic symbol for immortality. She is not trying to be badass. Oh and I actually have some interesting scars... on my hands from an incident involving my cat, a magic kit, and spilled catnip...

TyphoidMary

May 27, 2009
dragon_of_red said:
Both are massivley uncool, tattoos are for people who think they are tough and want to be tough. Scars arent worthy of being cool since something bad must have happened.

Both are monumentaly uncool, scars are better unless tattoos are for a dead friend or something.
Not every scar is from something bad happening, I have a big one on my wrist from playing keep away with a large golden retriever in a pool. The whole situation was fun, and even when I got scratched it was still enjoyable, totally an accident.
And if a tattoo has a meaning to the person who has it, then your opinion of it usually doesn't mean shit to them.

mvrichthofen

Sep 11, 2008
I have both, I like both, I'd say neither are cool. Or both are. That's entirely your thing.
I've voted scars though, cause as many here have already said, they all come with a story. Good or bad, but we always have something to learn, even if it's a lame scar. I'm not really sure about their coolness factor though, a scar can have a cool story but look terrible, a "cool" scar like the ones you get in movies requires an enormous amount of luck (and often if they look good they are from lame accidents, serious accidents get serious scars, and those are difficult to get pretty). Also, what's the definition of "cool"? I have many, many scars, some of them are from having being stabbed. I'm not particularly proud of that, because being considered a badass is only cool for the people who aren't. So they make for interesting stories, maybe, certainly they serve me as reminders. Have some scars with really "cool" stories behind like almost dying but managed not to (falling down when climbing, crash-landing a plane, that sort of thing) but to me they just show I'm terribly unlucky cause I keep being in these dangerous situations, and/or terribly lucky cause I keep surviving them. But someday I won't, so I'm not so sure they are cool. My "coolest" scar comes from when I almost lost my leg when a piece of iron almost ripped the lower muscles off. The scar doesn't look terrible, but doesn't look good either. It gets the ooohs and aaahs if that's what you're interested in (but also some ughs...). I would say the only scars I'm proud of is the ones I got playing rugby (broke my brows so many times, yet still managed to have them look pretty normal).
I have two tattoos and I love them. I have a tribal sign tattoed in the back of my right arm and a huge Japanese tiger tattoed in my left half of my back. The fact that I don't have them in plain view is cool because they never tire me either. They both also come with a story behind, I got them as reminders too, of different things. I'll say something sissy (if you will) and tell you they are the scars I paid for when I didn't get the physical scars for a reminder. Sort of "soul scars" if I keep the sissy mode on. But of course they have their cosmetic value, since I liked the designs (cooperated in the creation of both of them) and I like how they look. And I'd like to get a tattoo that doesn't come with a meaning behind, for a change. Working on the design now.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Scars unless they are on your wrist like mine... I'm not emo, my cousin just put a sharp object under my arm while i was having a break at work and cut my wrist on it by accident...

Calgetorix

Oct 25, 2003
I have 2 scars in my face... One on my cheek, the other on my eyelid. Both are caused by my dog which is unfortunately dead now. Still, I still think it's a great way to be reminded of it. Way better than tattoos.

I have another scar on the backside of my left or right thigh, I can't remember. That was because I tripped backwards over a dishwasher. Usually, knives point upwards so you can guess what happened. I'm just happy it wasn't further up my thigh I got stabbed.

To get to the point, I think scars are way more awesome than tattoos. I can't help but think many people like tattoos because they are popular at the moment because of various reasons. Plus many of those I see are unoriginal. At least be creative if you're going to carry ink beneath your skin the rest of your life.

Edit: Also, using your body as a canvas is not something I understand. I'd just carry a laminated picture if I wanted to show a picture to tell a story to everybody. But I won't because I don't feel the need to tell everybody about my life.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
DoctorNick said:
Scars are only as cool as the story that goes with them.

Tattoos are only cool if they are, well, REALLY cool tattoos.

Most fail in that regard.
My answer is pretty much identical to this

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
Tattoo's are better depending on what and where. I hate the mega massive ones, or the ones that just have no point. As you get older they just begin to look awful on your skin. Scars, well, i guess it depends on why you have it. If it was a battle wound, a fight that you didnt start but that could have ended worse then maybe... I used to think that people who had burn scars on their face were actually really nice. Not because of the scars but because of the trauma they had been through. People would turn away from them because of the scars but i think thats cruel. These people shouldnt be punished for the way they look if it wasnt their fault.

Puzzles

Aug 9, 2009
Scars can look OK, as long as they aren't scars from boiling water burns that simply turn you hideous. I worked with a guy who had a glass smashed in his face or something, he looked like such a badass, and it didn't really make him uglier.

Tattoos, well every chump can have one. Every bogan in Australia has a Southern Cross tattoo. It's really overdone.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
while neither are cool
scars make you look less like a douche then tats do

scars are injuries that normally happen by accident
tats are something you did to yourself on purpose
hence, when you have a scar, its less likely to mark you as an insecure douche bag who needs to brand himself in order to try and "look cool"

iccted

Jan 26, 2010
hmm, it really depends. what i think is cool and what anyone else thinks is cool would differ greatly e.g. i personally think george formby (google it) was awesome and therefore cool but probably >99% mankind would disagree.

but since youre looking for my opinion by the poll, i'd say tattoos. i like the artistic licence between the individual and the tattoo artist...that is if any depth of thought is given to the design, not "I Want That One" styles. Scarification sometimes appeals to me but really ain't ma thang.

Ed

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Bladecatcher said:
Well, I'd say that tattoos have way more potential to be cool, but they also have more potential to be incredibly stupid. A scar is only stupid if you get it in a stupid way, and thats not all that bad. But someone could get a tattoo of the ICP guy. And that's just unspeakable.
Yeah this works. Scars need a cool backstory otherwise they are a tribute to clumsiness. And tattoos are cool depending on design choice and the skill of the artist. I saw a guy with a leopard print sleeve once. Looked like somebody had puked on him. To contrast, look at Kat von D. Seriously, google her and then say tattoos are not cool all ye non-believers!

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
MorsePacific said:
Scars can be pretty badass, but they have to have a badass story to go along with it.
I agree with him. Scars aren't cool if you're like "Oh I tripped and fell on a rock!". "I stuck my arm into a dragon's mouth and pulled its tongue out" - that's a badass scar.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Scars are cool because they have a story (or at least the noteworthy ones do).
Tatts are a bit too "try hard" for me, unless they mean something important.