Poll: What's that book you're reading?

UpSkirtDistress

Mar 2, 2009
Re-reading His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman and I'm just finished The Subtle Knife. Its my favorite series/book you all should really give the first one a go.

Forget that piece of trash movie The Golden Compass as far as I'm concerned it never existed

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
Currently reading Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. Not quite as good as Ender's Game or Speaker for the Dead, but still pretty good.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Sane Man said:
I am on the System of the World by Neal Stephenson, it's the third in a trilogy entitled the "Baroque Cycle". Although he did say never to call it a trilogy, I hope he doesn't see this.

It's basically historical science fiction. He usues actual people (Newton, Hooke, Lebniz, Louis XIV, William of Orange, James Stuart, Queen Anne, etc) combined with people of his own creation that interact with them.

It tells a great story as well as describes the nature of money, and kind of shows in her own belief why the most likely smartest man in the world decided to run the Mint.

It also has government spys, the Solomonic Gold, Alchemy, the prototype computer, as well as swashbuckling adventures, financial schemes, and pitched battles across Europe as well as criminal dealings on a large scale.

Oh and also reading The Master and Margarita. It's about the Devil going to Communist Russia during 1929 and what he does to those who don't believe in God.
I read the first book in the series. I'm now on Quicksilver... and have been for a number of years. I can't seem to get past the first 5th. Does the story get better as I push on? I'd have to start it over now, but I'm running low on books, and I need something to do between my current Dresden Files book, and waiting for the next book from Patrick Rothfuss...

Zillar

Feb 8, 2009
Ender's Game and The Three Musketeers.

I also recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora -- best. Book. Ever.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Just finished The Last Don by Mario Puzo. I'm no expert but I'd say he's slipping- was nowhere near The Godfather or The Sicillian and had an obnoxious number of sex scenes just for their own sake, and to further illustrate Hollywood's culture of hedonism at the time. That could have been done with just two.

Howitzer

Jan 11, 2009
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It fulfills my need for Victorian-era nanotechnology quite nicely.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Yay! My mudkips are in second place!

I'm re-reading The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy omnibus), and have Paul of Dune and The Children of Húrin to read after that.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Assassinator said:
fnph said:
I just finished The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchet last night. I'm going to get started on Maskerade later today.
Reading The Fifth Elephant as we speak ;-) Starting with the Death series afterwards so I'm prepared for The Night Watch.
Read The Fifth Elephant last week for god only knows that time. As amazing as it always was. Right now I'm reading TAMAHER. It's my first go with Pratchetts "young" writing. So far it's really, really good. Waiting for some money so I can buy Nation and once again have all of Pratchetts books. There is so very many it seems.

Ah, yes, and in may role as thesis student I'm currently reading The demes of Aticca by David Whitehead and Athenian propertied families by J.K. Davies. Sweet mercy I'm bored at times.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Just finished the Nightside series (John Taylor is fuckin amazing btw), and started reading Temmeraire which ain't bad so far.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Night Embrace by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I'm basically re-reading the ones I have until Acheron comes out in paperback.

And I know it's a romance novel. Be quiet.

SuperChris

Mar 21, 2009
I'm reading Don Quixote (English translation) and Lolita, although I have not seen the Stanley Kubrick film... Hmm.. I'll need to get round to that at some point...

Jul 9, 2008
MSORPG pl4y3r said:
Across the Wall - Garth Nix, the last part to his epic old kingdom series but I'v taken a break at a stop point on that so I can read Watchmen, I'm enjoying it so far but its sutch a good grip I have to stop for a while after every chapter cause my eyes hurt.
*sees you read old kingdom series*

*points to username* That is all.

Anyway, I'm currently reading Crown of Slaves, by David Weber and Eric Flint. It's the first of the spin-off novels of Weber's "Honor Harrington" series.