Poll: What's the best animated show airing right now?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Oh boy, Archer on one hand, MLP on the other. I have to go with MLP because of the context of this question: Adult cartoons have been enjoyable in that highly inappropriate way for a while now. Kids cartoons seemed to have become lower in quality somewhat recently, but we have had things like South Park for a while. Archer may be the height of adult cartoons at the moment, but MLP injected awesome into a niche that was beginning to sorely lack quality.

...And I can't answer Korra. I loved a lot of Korra, the animation, choreography, setting...it's primed to be wonderful, and I understand if they had to come to a screeching halt. But they didn't just come to a halt, they crashed and burned HARD on the last episode. They ruined the tension, gave a cheap, unsatisfying resolution that felt poorly paced, cheapened the characters arcs, and basically were one long lesson in missed opportunity. Korra is a contender in the future, but at the moment, they left it kind of a mess (By which I mean in no sort of mess whatsoever, ruining the sense of progression and momentum)

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
clipse15 said:
Adventure Time is so amazing. At first a lot of it just seems random humour but the more you watch it the more you see that their universe follows certain rules and I love how they leave clues to showcase that it takes place in a post apocalyptic earth.

However the best animated show would have to be Young Justice. Depending on how the rest of this season goes I would say its better the n the Justice League show
I agree with this guy On the young justice thing By the end of watching its first episode it had managed to fight its way into my top 3 animated stuff of all time

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
Archer, I mean come on just the quotes alone make it great. I even have the danger zone quote as a ring tone

Durzo_Blint

Apr 7, 2011
I voted Legend of Korra, but then I changed my mind. Young Justice is my favourite show on TV atm

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
MLP:FIM because the animation is cute, and the fan made stuff is fantastic. Please don't hurt me.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
N_of_the_dead said:
Archer, I mean come on just the quotes alone make it great. I even have the danger zone quote as a ring tone
I went for Mulatto Butts, I felt it was the douchier between the two.

Yeah, toss up between Archer (the fact that it features a lot of the cast from Arrested Development is a big plus) and Adventure Time for me. I used to like Futurama, but the quality of its more recent shows are starting to decline the same way the Simpsons did. I've never really cared much for Avatar and its sequel, and honestly even if I did enjoy MLP (not saying I hate it or anything) the more vocal parts of its fanbase alone is enough to make me want to steer clear of it (same with Gurren Lagann and a few other shows).

And where the hell is American Dad? It's probably one of the few (if not only) things by Seth MacFarlane that I can stomach.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Pinkamena said:
God, I love Gravity Falls.
Can't believe the influx of new good animated series lately!

Daily recommended dose of Gravity Falls:
OK, that show looks hilarious, I'll have to check that out.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Gravity Falls - Only started watching it today and I am on episode 3, but by god this show is hilarious! Great animation and non-cliche stories just make it better. From what I've seen so far 9/10

Dan VS - A dark comedy for kids that is genuinely hilarious , whats not to like?! 8.5/10

Honestly I think we are going into a cartoon renaissance at the moment, the shows mentioned need more air time though, at least in the UK.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Voted Legend of Korra.

I like the art style in Gravity Falls but it seems like Disney is trying too hard to cash in on that Adventure Time/Regular Show business Cartoon Network is doing.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Gottesstrafe said:
N_of_the_dead said:
I went for Mulatto Butts, I felt it was the douchier between the two.

Yeah, toss up between Archer (the fact that it features a lot of the cast from Arrested Development is a big plus) and Adventure Time for me. I used to like Futurama, but the quality of its more recent shows are starting to decline the same way the Simpsons did. I've never really cared much for Avatar and its sequel, and honestly even if I did enjoy MLP (not saying I hate it or anything) the more vocal parts of its fanbase alone is enough to make me want to steer clear of it (same with Gurren Lagann and a few other shows).

And where the hell is American Dad? It's probably one of the few (if not only) things by Seth MacFarlane that I can stomach.
I sincerely believe that Seth MacFarlane is a egotistical prick who wouldn't know humor if it beat him over the head with one of his inane cut-away gags, so I declined to acknowledge any of his shows in the poll. Call me petty, but I don't want his garbage creations to even be put in the same general area as the far, far better ones already listed.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
I adore Gravity Falls. Mostly because its hilarious, but also partly because Mabel and Dipper ARE my sister and I. Like, we're basically the same people.

Melondrupe

Jan 12, 2012
While I enjoy immensely The Legend of Korra, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Regular Show, I'd have to throw a vote in for Young Justice. It manages to be as good as Justice League while feeling as if it creates a fuller universe.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Futurama, and Adventure time are all pretty good, I can't really decide.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Xanadu84 said:
...And I can't answer Korra. I loved a lot of Korra, the animation, choreography, setting...it's primed to be wonderful, and I understand if they had to come to a screeching halt. But they didn't just come to a halt, they crashed and burned HARD on the last episode. They ruined the tension, gave a cheap, unsatisfying resolution that felt poorly paced, cheapened the characters arcs, and basically were one long lesson in missed opportunity. Korra is a contender in the future, but at the moment, they left it kind of a mess (By which I mean in no sort of mess whatsoever, ruining the sense of progression and momentum)
Yeah, that's kinda my situation to. Korra is a contender if they acknowledge that the first season had massive problems with pacing and character development going to fast.

MLP is also a much less...shall we say...'tight' series after the first season and the premiere of the second one. It's less focused after loosing it's creator. I realize Faust left the show in capable hands, and it's still a charming, clever and hilarious show with A LOT of subtext and not-so-preachy morals....but that doesn't change the inconsistency of the characters, tone and message. Twilight, Dash and Spike have consistent character development. That might be in acknowledgement of how popular Twi and Dash are, but either way everyone else's personality depends entirely on what mood the writers were in that day.

Adventure Time is tight as hell, and it's very consistent and funny. And it has some clever subtext about nuclear war which is pretty damn awesome. But...it's hard to explain, but it lacks the ambition of Korra or MLP. I don't think it's striving to be anything more than a funny world with a grim backstory. Not that there's a problem with that, the other two just have more to offer.

I don't like Archer's style of comedy at all. Sorry. I've never enjoyed William Street's style. I'm sure it's good for it's target demographic. But I enjoy nothing I've seen so far.

Futurama is fucking timeless, and it's were all the creativity from the Simpson's has gone. It's seriously a masterpiece of sci-fi, comedy, social satire, commentary and comic timing. It's also incredibly unpredictable and is built on the premise of 'smart' comedy that doesn't take itself seriously. So why do I like ponies more? The world will never know. Blame the preposterously well-written cast.

I haven't watched the other nominee's, but after seeing these clips, I certainly want to.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Awh c'mon people! Where's the love for Regular Show?

Anything that can get that much crap past the radar deserves a mention.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I know everyone here hates it,

But family guy is my absolute favorite show, and it just happens to be an animated one.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Spinozaad said:
I'll go for Archer.

It's hilarious and so VFQ ("Very Fucking Quotable").
I love you.

Considering neither Archer or South Park are on your list, Futurama. It's damn funny, unlike Archer or South Park it does proper drama as well, it balances it with the comedy well (American Dad does this pretty well too. I prefer it to Family Guy by quite a bit). That said, Archer and South Park are just plain funnier than pretty much everything else on tv.

'I'm afraid that if I stop drinking all at once, the cumulative hangover would kill me'- Sterling Archer.

Herp derp. Archer is on the list. Bugger me.