Poll: What's the first thing you do after you break-up with someone?

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
So I had a wonderful valentines day of being kicked out of my girlfriends place. Long story short I did see it coming as there is no salvaging a relationship especially, when you can't cheer someone up who is depressed who pushes you away from previous issues.

She has since apologized but as it is indeed over, it does feel like I have to get back to a life without her as the main person I hang around and talk to. So as the title suggests;

I'd love to know what everyone does as the very first thing when the end has arrived, do you text lots of friends? Hit the Ben n Jerry's? Clock up more gaming hours to callus your thumbs/carpel tunnel? Maybe even a YouTube playlist of songs?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Yikes. That's some timing. Sorry about that.

Usually at the end of relationships I didn't choose to leave I chose to make a big spectacle of myself, but I don't recommend it. If you have a sympathetic ear amongst friends or family, bend it. This is one of those times your friends set up triage for you. Commit to a mild plan of self improvement...exercise and eat right...it'll help you feel better about yourself and help ward off depression. Reflect on how and why the relationship ended and try and learn from any mistakes you made. And give it at least a month or two (or more, depending on how long you dated) so you don't carry bitterness and baggage from this relationship into a new one.

Oh, and watch "High Fidelity" and "500 Days of Summer". They are essential post breakup material for guys. =D

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Jeez, sorry that happened.

I give myself some time to be sad and then do something that makes me feel better.
When I broke up with my ex I cried for like 3 days and then went and cut my hair. Going from long hair to very short hair just made me feel like I was making a change.
Just give yourself some time, don't be mad if you don't get over it as quick as you want, but don't try and be sad if you get over it quickly.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
There's a distinct lack of alcoholic options in that there poll.

The last time I split from a serious relationship I ended that week painted blue like a smurf getting head on a street corner. And without alcohol, that greatly-dubious dubiously-great event couldn't have occurred.

Shit luck by the way, but what I'm trying to say is that the rebound option is generally the most fun/interesting.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
My girlfriend dumped me a week ago, so I'm right there with you. I go right to the sad songs and ice cream. And crying. Lots of crying.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
In the case of my most recent breakup, which was nearly a year ago now, I had my friends on standby and waiting in the nearest pub. Cried a bit on the way over there, then sat with my friends for a few hours as it dawned on me that this was actually awesome and I felt suddenly free and... relieved. Then got a bit pissed off with myself for failing to spot how unhappy I must have been in that relationship for so long.

No two breakups are the same, sometimes your reaction surprises you.

Just do whatever it is that you've got to do, I guess.

EDIT: oh, and then the rebound/celebratory freedom sex started. I swear I had more sex in the fortnight after the split than I had in the last few months of the relationship. No joke.

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
kurupt87 said:
There's a distinct lack of alcoholic options in that there poll.

The last time I split from a serious relationship I ended that week painted blue like a smurf getting head on a street corner. And without alcohol, that greatly-dubious dubiously-great event couldn't have occurred.

Shit luck by the way, but what I'm trying to say is that the rebound option is generally the most fun/interesting.
Heheheh I did miss booze! It's nice to see everyone's experiences and thoughts.

@BloatedGuppy your film advice is noted and I'll get back to using that pull up bar of mine

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
A couple of months ago my girlfriend left me. So I moped around for a few hours, then rang my best mate. A few hours later we were having free dinner and drinks at a cabaret club (courtesy of his roommate who worked for it). Great food and drink and nipple tassels twirling everywhere. Somehow, I got over that relationship pretty quickly :)

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I've only really been dumped once, but it was a majour event in my life. What I did was spend about a week trying to get them back and crying my eyes dry, then when I knew it was hopeless I destroyed everything that the person ever gave me, then after that I rebounded, which turned out awful and I felt terrible, then after that came monthes of wallowing in self pity. I wouldn't reccomend any of those things if I am being honest. I let emotion get the better of me, I had never felt something like heartbreak before and literally thought life was ending...or becoming pointless. That was a long time ago now and I have grown up a little.

Now a days I just drink a little more than I used to.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Yikes. That's some timing. Sorry about that.
This one time I was broken up with the day after my birthday. After having had mono for a week previous.

That was a good year.

Oh, and watch "High Fidelity" and "500 Days of Summer". They are essential post breakup material for guys. =D
Haven't seen the first one, but I'd second (500) Days of Summer. I'm a bit biased by being an unapologetic fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, though.

Anyway, OT:

I generally wallow in songs that I associate with sadness or anger, but otherwise go about my daily business like normal. Nights tend to be spent beating myself up emotionally. Lots of self-degradation occurs.

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Haven't seen the first one, but I'd second (500) Days of Summer. I'm a bit biased by being an unapologetic fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, though.

Anyway, OT:

I generally wallow in songs that I associate with sadness or anger, but otherwise go about my daily business like normal. Nights tend to be spent beating myself up emotionally. Lots of self-degradation occurs.
I have this to say about Joseph Gordon-Levitt:
http://weknowmemes.com/2012/02/celebrity-friendzone-lvl-99/

Oh Joseph.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Rose and Thorn said:
I've only really been dumped once, but it was a majour event in my life. What I did was spend about a week trying to get them back and crying my eyes dry, then when I knew it was hopeless I destroyed everything that the person ever gave me, then after that I rebounded, which turned out awful and I felt terrible, then after that came monthes of wallowing in self pity. I wouldn't reccomend any of those things if I am being honest. I let emotion get the better of me, I had never felt something like heartbreak before and literally thought life was ending...or becoming pointless. That was a long time ago now and I have grown up a little.

Now a days I just drink a little more than I used to.
That sounds so sad it makes me want to cry T___T

Valentines day is done Escapist! the depressing threads can stop :[

OT:
I usually delve into video games to keep myself from thinking about the breakup

Last breakup I had, I was heavily into World of Warcraft (damn it's been a while : \)
I've had a few "breakups" since then, but those ones were just short-lived casual relationships that fizzled away without any feelings getting hurt..... Ironically my most recent one ended a little bit before valentines because I tried to make it more serious and she didn't really want serious, I lost my benefits : [

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
depending, If you're a male, Text everyone because a woman/girl will lie through her teeth about you, weather you break up with her or otherwise.

OpiateChicken

Jul 2, 2009
I don't really do any of those things in the survey. Mostly just curl up and sit there silently until I have to work or go do something. This goes on for about a week or two if I actually cared about the whole thing. If it was just a fling, I'm over it in about an hour

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
"Play eroges until you convince yourself that both women and men are useless and you only need furries to live".

Too specific?

Oh, ok, the last one.

Alternatively, play "Traumerei" from the Persona 4 soundtrack and eat lots and lots and lots. I may or may not have an eating disorder in real life.

It'll also not get you arrested on the grounds of "apparent zoohpilia".

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Chucker said:
I'd love to know what everyone does as the very first thing when the end has arrived, do you text lots of friends? Hit the Ben n Jerry's? Clock up more gaming hours to callus your thumbs/carpel tunnel? Maybe even a YouTube playlist of songs?
I find somewhere private, alone, and have a good cry.

I'm surprise that wasn't on your poll. I went with "sad song" because I also like sad songs.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Well fuck me this thread is timely. Just broke up with my girlfriend of almost three years tonight. Nothing I've done in the past six months has made her happy in anyway. After spending all evening cooking some amazing crab we got into another argument and we both pretty much decided we're done. Guess the first thing I'm doing is watching tv and lurking on the escapist.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Um... None of those things?

I just kind of felt odd for a bit and then went on with what I was doing

My gf and I of 9 months broke up 3ish weeks ago and I dunno, never really did any of those things >.>

What does that say about me? o_O